A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:25:57 am
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Garth Brooks to Play BOK in January  (Read 44963 times)
DTowner
City Father

« on: November 06, 2014, 03:11:01 pm »

I'm not a big fan, but Garth Brooks playing 3 nights at the BOK Center will be one of biggest entertainment events in Tulsa in a long time.

Garth Brooks bringing world tour to BOK Center in January

Garth Brooks bringing world tour to Tulsa
Posted: Thursday, November 6, 2014 12:00 am | Updated: 9:22 am, Thu Nov 6, 2014.

By JERRY WOFFORD World Scene Writer | 1 comment

It was 17 years ago when the storm shook the old Drillers Stadium, with lightning flashing across the sky as a sold-out crowd sang along with Garth Brooks as the hometown legend performed “The Thunder Rolls.”

Now, for the first time since then, the thunder is rolling back into Tulsa.

The country music superstar and Tulsa native is set to perform three shows at the BOK Center Jan. 15-17. Trisha Yearwood, Brooks’ wife, will also perform at each show.

The BOK Center has been wanting to book Brooks even before he helped open the building more than six years ago, said Jeff Nicker, the facility’s general manager.

“Ever since our ribbon-cutting on Aug. 30, 2008, I don’t think there’s a single question I’ve heard more from fans,” said Nickler, who was assistant general manager under John Bolton when the venue opened. “Hands down, Garth Brooks has been our most-requested act since we’ve opened.”

There were meetings and lots of rumors, but it was about 18 months ago when things really started to move.

“It’s one of the greatest secrets in Tulsa history,” Nickler said. “It’s been under a fake name on the internal calendar.”

Most staff didn’t even know what it meant until recently. That’s because the tour was sure to be big, not only for Tulsa but for the world.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/local/garth-brooks-bringing-world-tour-to-bok-center-in-january/article_ce8fe9dd-e5bf-51f2-a3ae-7e1fc2d8dbd2.html

DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 10:44:14 am »

30 minutes after the tickets went on sale. They announced three more shows.  Shocked

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 11:25:45 am »

And after almost 1 1/2 hours on Ticketmaster still no luck getting tickets for my daughters for any of the six shows.  Unbelievable.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 12:14:33 pm »

And after almost 1 1/2 hours on Ticketmaster still no luck getting tickets for my daughters for any of the six shows.  Unbelievable.

Text me
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 03:38:49 pm »

7 shows last I saw. Heard calling got better results than web.
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 04:35:11 pm »

That should be two wild weekends back-to-back in downtown.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2014, 10:36:08 pm »

That should be two wild weekends back-to-back in downtown.

Don’t forget your sh!t kickers!

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2015, 01:16:52 am »

Is everyone enjoying the parking cost hikes?

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2015, 08:20:03 am »

Plenty of free parking just a few blocks away.  Unheard of in most cities.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2015, 09:00:40 am »

Is everyone enjoying the parking cost hikes?

Yes, Negative Nancy. Some entrepreneurs used the opportunity to make some money. I would think a capitalist like you would think the free market should set prices. 

We parked in the public garage to the west. The prices there were $8 and were the same price as other events at the BOKcenter.

Power is nothing till you use it.
rdj
City Father

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2015, 09:25:08 am »

Capitalists love the free market until it takes a few capital size chunks out of their wallet.

Went to the show last weekend.  It was great to see downtown completely packed.  Really enjoyed seeing how many people walked from Blue Dome and Brady to the show.  One way to save money on parking.  We parked in a free street spot on Detroit just north of second.  Got down there at 5:45.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2015, 09:41:43 am »

Yes, Negative Nancy. Some entrepreneurs used the opportunity to make some money. I would think a capitalist like you would think the free market should set prices. 

We parked in the public garage to the west. The prices there were $8 and were the same price as other events at the BOKcenter.

He's not a capitalist, he's a cheapskate.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2015, 01:41:15 am »

Dude. I don't care. I posted what I did thinking people in here would complain about prices. I even watched (and laughed) as a $5 lot went to $30. Suckers.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2015, 11:08:37 am »

Dude. I don't care. I posted what I did thinking people in here would complain about prices. I even watched (and laughed) as a $5 lot went to $30. Suckers.

So you are trolling. As usual.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2015, 04:38:17 pm »

Heard someone complain "They should build a big garage by the bok center, we paid $40 for parking"

There are two big garages by the BOK center, both charge $8. I went to the show last night and there were spaces available in the civic center garage which is closest.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org