A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:02:16 am
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Open Voting  (Read 11965 times)
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2014, 09:17:35 pm »

Individuals like me and I expect you, yes.  Individuals like Soros etc, probably close.  They may use a foundation or whatever as legal cover but the money is still there.  I believe one needs to include Unions as being tremendously influential in elections as well as Corporations.  To me, Unions are nothing more than huge Corporations anyway.

Not on the Republican side they don't.  You could argue that unions are the counterbalance to big business.  Except that big business is just that.  Business.  It's comparing apples to really really big apples.  Big business typically hates unions.  If most of them had their way, they'd probably start hiring children again for a pittance of a wage.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2014, 10:07:27 pm »

Not on the Republican side they don't.  You could argue that unions are the counterbalance to big business.  Except that big business is just that.  Business.  It's comparing apples to really really big apples.  Big business typically hates unions.  If most of them had their way, they'd probably start hiring children again for a pittance of a wage.

No, I don't remember Unions ever supporting Republicans.  Unions, through various means, were legally influencing elections long before Corporations.  I could argue that personhood for Corporations is counterbalance to traditional Union support for anti business candidates.  I think both apples are similar size.  FWIW, I am not anti-regulation for businesses.  I do think it occasionally gets over done though.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2014, 07:31:02 am »

No, I don't remember Unions ever supporting Republicans.  Unions, through various means, were legally influencing elections long before Corporations.  I could argue that personhood for Corporations is counterbalance to traditional Union support for anti business candidates.  I think both apples are similar size.  FWIW, I am not anti-regulation for businesses.  I do think it occasionally gets over done though.

You don't remember well because your memory really sucks....OR, the more likely case is that you just didn't pay attention in history and have learned nothing about history ever since!  Corporate influence, overreach, and out of control behavior is exactly WHY unions came about!  But that just really isn't what "The Script" wants people to know, now is it?  Maybe that's why you don't know that...??

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
cynical
Civic Leader

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2014, 10:58:36 am »

Then you don't remember the Teamsters, the largest labor union in the country, supporting Reagan and GHW Bush in the 1980s? It is true that they now mainly support Democrats, but it is not true that unions never supported Republicans.

On the original subject of open primaries, the argument for it seems to be that empowering the vast number of independents to participate in party primaries would lead to more moderates being nominated. I haven't had time to research the issue, and only recall a handful of primaries in which crossover votes appeared to decide the election such as the Mississippi US senate primary last Summer. Are there any studies that support the claim that independent voters force parties to nominate moderates?

No, I don't remember Unions ever supporting Republicans.  Unions, through various means, were legally influencing elections long before Corporations.  I could argue that personhood for Corporations is counterbalance to traditional Union support for anti business candidates.  I think both apples are similar size.  FWIW, I am not anti-regulation for businesses.  I do think it occasionally gets over done though.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2014, 11:35:47 am »

Then you don't remember the Teamsters, the largest labor union in the country, supporting Reagan and GHW Bush in the 1980s? It is true that they now mainly support Democrats, but it is not true that unions never supported Republicans.

OK, I forgot the Teamsters supporting Reagan and GHWB.  2 or 3 elections in how many years?  Any other major Unions slip my memory?

I'll amend my statement to Unions almost never support Republicans..

« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 11:38:50 am by Red Arrow » Logged

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2014, 12:20:00 pm »

Of course elections should be open.  It shouldn't be the party.  It should be the individual.

Will it happen in Oklahoma?  Not a chance.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 09:41:13 pm by Townsend » Logged
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2014, 12:44:46 am »

Of course elections should be open.  It shouldn't be the party.  It should be the individual.

Will it happen in Oklahoma?  Not a chance.

This has been my thought for a long time. I have to admit that I have not always voted for people because they have an "R" or "D" attached to them in a general election, I vote for what the candidate claims they stand for. The anti open election campaign here has been making claims that you may have a case where there are two candidates of the same party, (got a mailer saying "Do You Want Rush Limbaugh deciding who the candidates are?" will try to get a scan that I can post) I would hope that there is a provision to prevent that. I just think that Independents should be able to vote in primaries for any of the candidates, but I don't know how you would regulate it. Maybe create a third ballot for registered Independent voters (anonymously of course)? I don't see a reason to try and change from the party system we have, just make it more level for voters.  I'm sure the "R" & "D" don't want this as it would upset their beloved apple carts.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2014, 09:30:29 am »

This has been my thought for a long time. I have to admit that I have not always voted for people because they have an "R" or "D" attached to them in a general election, I vote for what the candidate claims they stand for. The anti open election campaign here has been making claims that you may have a case where there are two candidates of the same party, (got a mailer saying "Do You Want Rush Limbaugh deciding who the candidates are?" will try to get a scan that I can post) I would hope that there is a provision to prevent that. I just think that Independents should be able to vote in primaries for any of the candidates, but I don't know how you would regulate it. Maybe create a third ballot for registered Independent voters (anonymously of course)? I don't see a reason to try and change from the party system we have, just make it more level for voters.  I'm sure the "R" & "D" don't want this as it would upset their beloved apple carts.

The election process should be as open and as easy as possible. 

If someone who qualifies to vote (age, citizen, lives in district, etc) is denied a vote then it's not a true election.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2014, 10:19:38 am »

Going back to letting the party bosses choose the party's candidates would solve this whole open primary debate.

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2014, 10:38:27 am »

Going back to letting the party bosses choose the party's candidates would solve this whole open primary debate.

Mmmm yeah, then we would have Billary/Biden vs Paul/Palin combos. Love that scenario..........
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2014, 11:35:50 am »

I'll amend my statement to Unions almost never support Republicans..

Selective memory.

Reagan was a union boss before he ran for Governor. The local police and fire unions favor republicans more than democrats. The police union always endorses the challenger. They haven't endorsed an incumbent mayor in Tulsa in my lifetime. Ever. No mayor was ever good enough for them. They just play the same card every election and if they win, they make the new mayor dance for them. If the incumbent wins, they just sue them during contract negotiations.

Yes, the unions are part of the democratic platform each year and in general support democrats, but they work for many a republican.

Power is nothing till you use it.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2014, 01:52:56 pm »

How do you "go back" to what you have been doing all along, and continue to do??

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2014, 02:16:49 pm »

Mmmm yeah, then we would have Billary/Biden vs Paul/Palin combos. Love that scenario..........

It's not a solution I could endorse.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2014, 02:27:45 pm »

Reagan was a union boss before he ran for Governor.
And he was at one time a Democrat too.  Are you saying the Teamsters supported him because he was formerly a Union guy.  I know the Air Traffic Controllers didn't care for him.

The local police and fire unions favor republicans more than democrats. The police union always endorses the challenger. They haven't endorsed an incumbent mayor in Tulsa in my lifetime. Ever. No mayor was ever good enough for them. They just play the same card every election and if they win, they make the new mayor dance for them. If the incumbent wins, they just sue them during contract negotiations.
Local shenanigans rather than a solid policy.  How widespread do you think police and fire unions favoring Republicans is?  I think not much.  I won't say "never" since it only takes one example to negate "never" or "all".

Yes, the unions are part of the democratic platform each year and in general support democrats, but they work for many a republican.
I'll agree with saying Unions support some select Republicans but saying Unions supporting many Republicans is an exaggeration since Democrats think that Unions supporting any Republican should be a crime punishable by death.

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2014, 11:05:49 pm »

So much for that idea. Was hoping it would pass but it did somewhat poorly written, and being a strong union state the SEIU was against it and campaigned heavily against it. No relation between the Dems and the unions.  Undecided
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org