A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:12:16 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A visit to Picher  (Read 7385 times)
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« on: October 21, 2014, 08:29:39 am »

An acquaintance of mine who has build the same exact hexacopter rig as I'm building took a trip to Picher over the weekend.  He posted this video.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijaJgGyFwkw[/youtube]

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
ARGUS
Civic Leader

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 09:47:48 am »

You posted that video in "chat" and then said "mine".

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 10:26:27 am »

You posted that video in "chat" and then said "mine".

Not on purpose, trust me, but I see what I did there.

Cool

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 10:33:26 am »

Friends of mine used to ride the chat piles on their bikes.  They never thought twice about any sort of heavy metal contamination.  ARGUS, did you ever go ride them?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 10:37:06 am »

An acquaintance of mine who has build the same exact hexacopter rig as I'm building took a trip to Picher over the weekend.  He posted this video.

Don't ya just love the smell of lead in the morning...??

Good video!  They certainly got their year's supply of lead exposure that day!  Probably about the equivalent of chewing on one lead painted windowsill each....

Ancient history moment - this is the place where Jim Inhofe got over $125 million from the Fed, about 30 years ago, to pay some good buddies of his to go there with bulldozers and push that stuff around some in the name of "remediation" and "clean-up".  Stirring up a LOT of that lead dust for the hundreds of residents there to breath for a few months....  As opposed to just doing a buyout of one of the larger superfund pollution sites in the nation, which could have been done for probably about $25 million.

Took a long, long, time - decades...until Brad Henry - to actually get the people bought out and moved out of there!  And the state did the biggest part of the buyout.  And the cancer rates for residents was dramatically higher than would be expected in a less contaminated environment.  Our very own "Love Canal" here in Okrahoma!!  Officially called Tar Creek site....

God forbid we should make the companies/industries that make the mess pay for cleaning up their mess!  That would be "un-aMurican"....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tar_Creek_Superfund_site

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 10:42:03 am »

Good video!  They certainly got their year's supply of lead exposure that day!  Probably about the equivalent of chewing on one lead painted windowsill each....

Ancient history moment - this is the place where Jim Inhofe got over $125 million from the Fed, about 30 years ago, to pay some good buddies of his to go there with bulldozers and push that stuff around some in the name of "remediation" and "clean-up".  Stirring up a LOT of that lead dust for the hundreds of residents there to breath for a few months....  As opposed to just doing a buyout of one of the larger superfund pollution sites in the nation, which could have been done for probably about $25 million.

Took a long, long, time - decades...until Brad Henry - to actually get the people bought out and moved out of there!  And the state did the biggest part of the buyout.  And the cancer rates for residents was dramatically higher than would be expected in a less contaminated environment.  Our very own "Love Canal" here in Okrahoma!!  Officially called Tar Creek site....

God forbid we should make the companies/industries that make the mess pay for cleaning up their mess!  That would be "un-aMurican"....

Evidently there is a movie on Netflix right now available to view (I don't have NF) called "Tar Creek" that is a documentary of how this happened.

Trailer:

[youtube]osYydT8Blb8[/youtube]

ARGUS
Civic Leader

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 10:57:57 am »

Never rode there but have watched Tar Creek on Netflix...boring.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 12:47:11 pm »

Never rode there but have watched Tar Creek on Netflix...boring.

Reality always is.  If it's not a "sound bite" the vast majority of the population glazes over very quickly....that's why it took me so long to believe that ADD was real - when I realized that most people have it. Cannot focus long enough on important issues to actually see something through....

Lead poisoning.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 12:48:52 pm by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2014, 12:56:41 pm »

I’m no fan of Inhofe myself in recent years, but your timeline and recollections suffer from a lack of reality.  30 years ago, Inhofe was still Mayor of Tulsa.  After that, he became the first district Congressman from Oklahoma.  The Tar Creek Superfund Site sits in District 2.  This would have been Synar, Coburn, Carson, and Boren’s domain in the HOR during the last 30 years.  it became identified as a Superfund site in 1983.  Inhofe entered the Senate in late 1994.

I can find nowhere any credible shred of evidence that Inhofe cronies were used for remediation efforts.  This was a project which involved The EPA, DOI, USACE, CEQ, and Federal Highway Administration.  In other words, a classic bureaucratic clusterfark.

Here’s a couple of articles worth reading which might clear up some of your bias.  The first takes Inhofe to task over his claims of being primarily responsible for the buyout and his initial reluctance to the idea.  It also identifies the other local players in the issue and their take on it and his involvement.  If you have any sort of credible source regarding contractors he hand-picked to move chat piles around, feel free to post.  I’d love to read it.

http://newsok.com/it-took-a-town-to-find-help-for-tar-creek/article/3269290

http://www.epw.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=CommitteeResources.ViewNewsletter&Newsletter_id=65cf8ebf-802a-23ad-4eb7-c2c8b39b72b6&SuppressLayouts=true

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Ed W
City Father

Re:
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2014, 01:58:04 pm »

Pennsylvania once kicked around the idea of covering former strip mine sites with sewer sludge. The mine share some characteristics with chat piles: infertile soil and an inability to retain much water. Sewer sludge mixed with drought resistant grass seed might cover the chat and mitigate wind blown lead.

Ed W

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2014, 03:22:55 pm »

It kinda looks like somebody bombed it
https://www.google.com/maps/@36.9691995,-94.8459183,12368m/data=!3m1!1e3
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2014, 12:51:54 pm »

That air view  is kewl. Looks like mountains of snow. They also seem to have a nifty jogging trail there. Very Rad
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 01:31:06 pm by sauerkraut » Logged

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org