A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 06:51:11 am
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Central Hockey League is no more...but hockey remains.  (Read 27350 times)
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2014, 03:03:57 pm »

He was better at it than you think he was.  His grandfather taught him a few things.  He (his grandfather) was a golden glove boxer.  He didn't like fighting unless he had to.  He was better as the agitator.  Teams hated him unless he was on your team.  That's why OKC fans hated him until the season he played for them.  When he left (OKC) he was asked why.  His answer was "Have you seen the women in OKC?".   Grin

Plus, the first three or four seasons no one fought anybody on the Oilers anyway, lest they incur the wrath of Craig Coxe.  Coxe went a few with NHL greats Kocur, Probert and the like.

Sure they did.....Saw many fights while Coxe was on the team.....Coxe didn't have to drop the gloves much but that didn't stop anyone else......

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2014, 04:10:38 pm »

Sure they did.....Saw many fights while Coxe was on the team.....Coxe didn't have to drop the gloves much but that didn't stop anyone else......

Sasha Lakovic comes to mind.  He called out the entire San Antonio bench one night.  They didn't want any part of him.  He was a couple of beers short of a sixpack.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2014, 04:34:55 pm »

Mike Bajurny...Dan O'Rourke.....Jason Rushton....Mike MacWilliams.....Just to name a few......Sasha had it all....It got him to the show.....

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2014, 04:40:27 pm »

Mike Bajurny...Dan O'Rourke.....Jason Rushton....Mike MacWilliams.....Just to name a few......Sasha had it all....It got him to the show.....
Badger (Bajurny) was all fighter.  Was as tough as anyone I ever saw.  His problem later was he tried to be more of a rounded player but didn't have the skills for it.

Rushton was the whole package.  Fighter who could score as well.  Too bad he loved stealing more than he loved his team.  That kid had potential to move up more than anyone in the CHL at that time did.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2014, 09:33:16 pm »

Bajurny could not skate.....

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2014, 10:23:46 pm »

Bajurny could not skate.....

You’d think that would be a deal-killer in hockey.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2014, 10:46:31 pm »

You’d think that would be a deal-killer in hockey.

He could skate, just not as well as some of the other players.  He skated well enough.

Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2014, 07:17:16 am »

He could skate, just not as well as some of the other players.  He skated well enough.

If he could skate he would have had a shot at going to a higher level....Not languishing in the QSPHL/LNAH....

TulsaRufnex
Soccer Curmudgeon
Philanthropist

« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2014, 10:36:33 pm »

Oklahoma City Barons hockey team to cease operations after season
http://newsok.com/article/5377128
Citing a business decision, Prodigal CEO Bob Funk, Jr. announced Thursday Prodigal will be ceasing operations after a five-year contract with the Edmonton Oilers expires at the end of this season.

“We’re closing the door but not locking it,” Funk said. “At this particular point the market isn’t as accepting (of hockey) as we’d like. But maybe at some point in the future it will be more accepting which is why we’ll always keep the door open.”

“Critics are like eunuchs in a harem; they know how it's done, they've seen it done every day, but they're unable to do it themselves.”
― Brendan Behan  http://www.TulsaRoughnecks.com
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2014, 10:59:41 pm »

Oklahoma City Barons hockey team to cease operations after season
http://newsok.com/article/5377128

If OKC wants hockey to survive, much like what Lund did to the Oilers is what Funk has done for hockey in the OKC metro.

I wouldn't be surprised to see an ECHL team there soon, but probably not until 2016.  The Baron attendance was dismal (bottom 5 out of 30 in the AHL).  The AHL is positioning themselves to place teams in markets for the Western NHL teams, so many ECHL teams that were the old WCHL clubs (Bakersfield, Stockton, etc) will likely get AHL franchises.

About 17 home games in to the ECHL season, the Oilers rank 11th out of 28 (and rank 2nd of the 7 old CHL teams) at about 4400 per game.

The Barons after 12 home games were averaging about 3200 a game.

OKC makes better sense at the AA level of hockey.  The Thunder is already a BIG competitor for dates, and even on days when the Thunder aren't playing, the building isn't what it used to be.  It would benefit three of the new ECHL teams (Wichita, potential OKC club and Tulsa) because that rivalry always drew more in attendance.  ECHL commissioner Brian McKenna has been quoted as saying that he is very interested in fielding a team in the OKC area for that very reason.

Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2014, 08:59:53 am »

I would consider tickets again if Okc comes back.....

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2014, 09:42:24 am »

If OKC wants hockey to survive, much like what Lund did to the Oilers is what Funk has done for hockey in the OKC metro.

I wouldn't be surprised to see an ECHL team there soon, but probably not until 2016.  The Baron attendance was dismal (bottom 5 out of 30 in the AHL).  The AHL is positioning themselves to place teams in markets for the Western NHL teams, so many ECHL teams that were the old WCHL clubs (Bakersfield, Stockton, etc) will likely get AHL franchises.

About 17 home games in to the ECHL season, the Oilers rank 11th out of 28 (and rank 2nd of the 7 old CHL teams) at about 4400 per game.

The Barons after 12 home games were averaging about 3200 a game.

OKC makes better sense at the AA level of hockey.  The Thunder is already a BIG competitor for dates, and even on days when the Thunder aren't playing, the building isn't what it used to be.  It would benefit three of the new ECHL teams (Wichita, potential OKC club and Tulsa) because that rivalry always drew more in attendance.  ECHL commissioner Brian McKenna has been quoted as saying that he is very interested in fielding a team in the OKC area for that very reason.

Do the Barons play in Chesapeake or the Cox center?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2014, 10:02:51 am »

Cocks....

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2014, 10:13:32 am »

Do the Barons play in Chesapeake or the Cox center?

As BB said, the Myriad.  Part of the deal with Bennett moving the Thunder from Seattle was two fold:

1.  The Thunder got first rights on dates in the Ford Center, essentially pushing any hockey club to the Myriad.
2.  Since they got first rights on dates, the Thunder agreed to pay for an upgrade to the Myriad ice, which was old.  I believe they also paid for a new scoreboard.

DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2014, 11:58:08 am »

As BB said, the Myriad.  Part of the deal with Bennett moving the Thunder from Seattle was two fold:

1.  The Thunder got first rights on dates in the Ford Center, essentially pushing any hockey club to the Myriad.
2.  Since they got first rights on dates, the Thunder agreed to pay for an upgrade to the Myriad ice, which was old.  I believe they also paid for a new scoreboard.

I didn't even know the Myriad was still open.

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org