A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:10:24 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Central Hockey League is no more...but hockey remains.  (Read 27216 times)
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2014, 05:22:48 am »

They're actually pretty good.  Problem is that they alienated a pretty large fanbase of Blazer faithful so the attendance is down.  Also, Blazer/CHL fans are used to fan access to players for autographs and functions and the like.  The AHL really doesn't do much of that is my understanding.

Thats what I was getting at......

Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2014, 10:28:13 am »

The stupid vet rule killed the CHL.....

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2014, 12:50:28 pm »

Blame that on the Thunder from back in the nineties.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2014, 09:30:05 pm »

If they would have kept it about entertainment it would still be thriving.....

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2014, 09:49:38 pm »

If they would have kept it about entertainment it would still be thriving.....

Not in Tulsa.  Especially if Lund would have still had the team.  He damn near ran it into the ground.  Plus, some people like hockey for hockey, not just for fighting.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2014, 08:29:18 am »

The Oilers have won their first two games as a member of the ECHL.  9-6 over Allen (in Allen, TX) on Friday, and a thriller in OT yesterday 6-5 versus the Wichita Thunder.

It's evident that the talent is better in the ECHL.

An acquaintance of mine takes photos for the team.  Sometimes his photos make the Tulsa World article.

http://photopyle.zenfolio.com/p503271205

What's sad is only one of the TV media outlets even reported on the game (KJRH).  KOTV and KTUL didn't.  At least KOTV ran the score in the crawler.  KTUL wasn't even bothered enough to do that.

Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2014, 08:47:22 am »

Your not going to win many with that GPA.....

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2014, 09:00:08 am »

Your not going to win many with that GPA.....

2-0.  If you have guys that can score more than the other team...

Grin

My thought is that all seven former CHL teams will probably not do so well.  The ones that settle in and work as ECHL teams instead of tailoring a CHL game/roster to ECHL will do ok.  Mainly young kids on this team and there is quite a bit of talent.  I'm not hinging the season on 2 games, but the on-ice product is definitely better.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2014, 09:13:52 am »

So if they had smarter vets, it would have been fine...?  OSU has a great vet school...very smart vets...they could/should have tried to get some of them....!!

lol...

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Btlsooner
Citizen

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2014, 05:03:32 pm »

Not in Tulsa.  Especially if Lund would have still had the team.  He damn near ran it into the ground.  Plus, some people like hockey for hockey, not just for fighting.

I'm more of a hockey fan then just about anybody I know, but watching Dougie Lawrence, Craig Johnston, and Ron Aubrey get after it was pretty awesome. God, how to I remember those guys names? lol. The mid 90's was a fun time for hockey in Oklahoma.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2014, 06:45:07 pm »

I'm more of a hockey fan then just about anybody I know, but watching Dougie Lawrence, Craig Johnston, and Ron Aubrey get after it was pretty awesome. God, how to I remember those guys names? lol. The mid 90's was a fun time for hockey in Oklahoma.

Let's not forget Bruce Shoebottom v the Tulsa Police.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcV3l7aRrlg[/youtube]

Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2014, 08:40:27 pm »

Craig Johnson....Chris Johnston.....Dougie wasn't a fighter, he tried but was not good at it....Excellent winger and sh!t disturber......

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2014, 09:09:52 pm »

Craig Johnson....Chris Johnston.....Dougie wasn't a fighter, he tried but was not good at it....Excellent winger and sh!t disturber......

He was better at it than you think he was.  His grandfather taught him a few things.  He (his grandfather) was a golden glove boxer.  He didn't like fighting unless he had to.  He was better as the agitator.  Teams hated him unless he was on your team.  That's why OKC fans hated him until the season he played for them.  When he left (OKC) he was asked why.  His answer was "Have you seen the women in OKC?".   Grin

Plus, the first three or four seasons no one fought anybody on the Oilers anyway, lest they incur the wrath of Craig Coxe.  Coxe went a few with NHL greats Kocur, Probert and the like.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 09:12:27 pm by Hoss » Logged

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2014, 10:20:15 am »

Let's not forget Bruce Shoebottom v the Tulsa Police.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcV3l7aRrlg[/youtube]

Epic mullett, eh?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2014, 10:22:39 am »

Epic mullett, eh?

It *was* the early nineties.  I'm sure I don't want people rehashing old pictures of me from that same period.   Wink

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org