A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:19:15 pm
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Remote Controlled Multicopters  (Read 109163 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2014, 10:15:39 pm »

Hmm...looks like a question that Conan asked earlier that was similar in nature is gone.  I'm going to attribute that to the database crash error I got earlier.

The calculations with the current battery I have (4S, which is a 14.8v LiPo and 8000mah) and the current weight is about 20 minutes of flight time.  If I put optics on it weight is added, so obviously that flight time goes down.  I haven't tested flight time yet simply because we are still working on getting it right because it isn't flying right now.

Do you have anything we could torment my neighbor with for about 2 hours?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2014, 10:38:20 pm »

Do you have anything we could torment my neighbor with for about 2 hours?

It won't be two hours, but a solid 45 minutes (I have the old one with two batteries and the batteries on those average about 25 minutes or so).

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2014, 08:48:28 pm »

Shoots 4K video (yay!) with a 94-degree field of view lens, which is about 20mm in 35mm equivalent (boo!)

...also retractable landing gear and the option for separate pilot and camera operator.

http://www.dji.com/product/inspire-1

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1097099-REG/dji_inspire_1.html

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2014, 09:02:23 pm »

Shoots 4K video (yay!) with a 94-degree field of view lens, which is about 20mm in 35mm equivalent (boo!)

...also retractable landing gear and the option for separate pilot and camera operator.

http://www.dji.com/product/inspire-1

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1097099-REG/dji_inspire_1.html

Likely going to be priced in the $3000 range I'm guessing, given that it has the articulating arms.  I haven't seen any announcements of price yet.  That would move it more to the "Pro-sumer" than consumer grade.

It's not very pleasing to the eye either, but ultimately, if you're about getting video only and not worried about the hobby part of it, that won't matter.

I will however, pose this.

[youtube]P-7_ZHnO8D4[/youtube]

My brother and I are building this, but I gave him the green-light to maiden our build without me a couple of nights ago.  Didn't stay in the air very long, but after the week it took us to track the problem down (which in the end was something minor that we both overlooked) I was just glad to see it up.  Been too windy to mess with it, but Saturday morning at the Unclub I'll test it a little more thoroughly.

Unclub = Soccer fields across the street from Vatterott College on 118th East Ave just south of 41st St.  A group of about 20 of us hobbyists get out there once a month (and more usually) to fly if weather permits.  If it doesn't snow/rain on Saturday and winds stay as to what they are forecasting, I'll be out testing.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 09:04:10 pm by Hoss » Logged

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2014, 10:59:32 pm »

Unclub = Soccer fields across the street from Vatterott College on 118th East Ave just south of 41st St.  A group of about 20 of us hobbyists get out there once a month (and more usually) to fly if weather permits.  If it doesn't snow/rain on Saturday and winds stay as to what they are forecasting, I'll be out testing.

That would be interesting to see.  About what time of day?

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2014, 01:05:50 am »

My daughter has soccer games there every other weekend. I would love to get some soccer footage. I will PM you her schedule.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2014, 01:17:52 am »

That would be interesting to see.  About what time of day?

Usually start about 8am and stay until whenever.  Once a month it's quite a turnout with mainly multirotors.  However, some of them go every Saturday morning and fly foams (little foam airplanes with electric motors).  Some have hellatious FPV setups.  One guy easily can fly his out a mile or more.

However I don't get out that early.  Saturday =  sleep-in day.  Well, as much as I can, which usually winds up being between 8:30 and 9.  It's my brother that I'll have to deal with since the rig is at his house in Broken Arrow.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 01:20:09 am by Hoss » Logged

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2014, 01:24:18 am »

My daughter has soccer games there every other weekend. I would love to get some soccer footage. I will PM you her schedule.

In the indicated area is where we fly.

RM, also keep in mind, that the new setup doesn't have optics yet (that comes soon, but not before I test the hell outta this thing).  I have my quad that does, however.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 01:29:55 am by Hoss » Logged

Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2014, 11:50:52 pm »

This is an area where I think technology and ease of use has surpassed the previous generations of RC aircraft. And while serious RC pilots know the rules and regulations, it's now reasonably cheap to buy a multi-rotor aircraft, attach a camera with a down link, and fly it anywhere within the range of the controller. For around $1000.00 I can get one and film from it and fly it at high altitudes, I guess 2000' is a piece of cake for some models. But to me the issue is you have people unfamiliar with the regulations and rules, or just don't care, that will use them in areas they shouldn't. I'm not paranoid about it, but there are safety issues, and maybe some common sense, although I think that part escapes a lot of people.

So how do you regulate something like this?

Vacuous hack-jobs and scare tactics disguised as "reporting" arent helping matters any.

From Cox Media:
http://www.fox23.com/videos/news/some-drone-pilots-violate-faa-rules/vC2tsK/
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2014, 12:55:13 am »

Vacuous hack-jobs and scare tactics disguised as "reporting" arent helping matters any.

From Cox Media:
http://www.fox23.com/videos/news/some-drone-pilots-violate-faa-rules/vC2tsK/

Yep, our little group that meets at the soccer fields lamented this report as well.  Doesn't surprise me, however.  They didn't do enough research and made this a one-sided report, IMO.

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #55 on: December 18, 2014, 02:53:29 pm »

Yep, our little group that meets at the soccer fields lamented this report as well.  Doesn't surprise me, however.  They didn't do enough research and made this a one-sided report, IMO.

Im still petrified by horror stories of people trying out their copter for the first time outside, and it just goes straight up never to be seen again.
Thats one expensive balloon.  Hopefully the software has improved.
...and if you know anyone missing one, one turned up outside the arena downtown.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #56 on: December 18, 2014, 03:04:59 pm »

Im still petrified by horror stories of people trying out their copter for the first time outside, and it just goes straight up never to be seen again.
Thats one expensive balloon.  Hopefully the software has improved.
...and if you know anyone missing one, one turned up outside the arena downtown.

Haven't heard anything about that yet.

Typically, when these things go 'fly-away', new users try to blame the hardware.  99 times out of 100 it's a new user not following the instructions.

And, as a former "real" RC airplane flyer, and a real world "almost" pilot, I go through a checklist before I even send mine skyward.  These "RTF" setups make it far too easy for someone to just plug the battery in to charge it, go to the field and take off.

BTW, here's the semi-finished product (haven't been able to fly it to tune it yet with the crappy weather this week..plus haven't put the optics on it yet):

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2015, 09:49:37 am »

Typically, when these things go 'fly-away', new users try to blame the hardware.  99 times out of 100 it's a new user not following the instructions.

And, as a former "real" RC airplane flyer, and a real world "almost" pilot, I go through a checklist before I even send mine skyward.  These "RTF" setups make it far too easy for someone to just plug the battery in to charge it, go to the field and take off.

Curious to see your progress.

But anyway, 6 pounds is too much for a DJI Spreading Wings S900      http://www.dji.com/product/spreading-wings-s900

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2015, 01:14:24 pm »

Curious to see your progress.

But anyway, 6 pounds is too much for a DJI Spreading Wings S900      http://www.dji.com/product/spreading-wings-s900

It's not so much the weight as it is weight to thrust.

And other stuff has kind of put the hexacopter project on the back burner.  It's assembled and we have flown it some, but it needs tuning to fly properly and the last four or five weekends have not been very conducive for this (too much wind).

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2015, 11:10:38 am »

Haven't heard anything about that yet.

I fear my discussion may have, um, "hexed" a friend, who just lost his DJI around (or in) the river.   He mentioned his video feed started to break up, so he gave a Return command, and the 'copter just flew out of sight.

He's a Private Pilot so my impression is that he is a capable operator, and is hoping the "reward if found" decal works better than the software did.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org