A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:49:35 pm
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Remote Controlled Multicopters  (Read 109161 times)
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2014, 11:04:49 am »

Id like to get away from the default GoPro wide angle optics if/when I take the plunge, so Im curious, is anyone working with a high-res camera as their navigation view?  Gimbal mount would be a must.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1044729&gclid=Cj0KEQjwiJiiBRDh3Z-ctPfS5MgBEiQAAlkbQqsVxi9alyXd7q8-PT43sNVbKidFqufmsVhOt-4v4fsaAue18P8HAQ&Q=&is=REG&A=details

I think it's just too much weight to get selectable zoom capabilities.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 11:09:54 am by dbacksfan 2.0 » Logged
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2014, 11:48:48 am »

I might end up with a "pseudo PTZ" where the focal length is closer to what might pass for "normal" on a DSLR, but the resolution is high enough that you could perform a virtual zoom and still render detail.  Ive seen this with some success on IP security cameras, but if I had my druthers, Id druther use real optics (but glass is heavy).
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 11:50:42 am by patric » Logged

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2014, 12:28:23 pm »

I might end up with a "pseudo PTZ" where the focal length is closer to what might pass for "normal" on a DSLR, but the resolution is high enough that you could perform a virtual zoom and still render detail.  Ive seen this with some success on IP security cameras, but if I had my druthers, Id druther use real optics (but glass is heavy).

What I'm currently working on, others have used to put big glass on it.  It's large diameter, but would require a sizable power source.  The RTF (ready-to-fly) models aren't really cost-effective.

What i'm building right now is about double the diameter and three times the lift capabilities of the Phantoms.  However, I'm still going with a GoPro on mine simply because I don't want to have $1000 worth of fragile optics PLUS the $1500 in hardware pushing it at the mercy of a thermal or VRS (also known as 'settling with power').  The Tarot FY680pro or even their 960 has combo kits, and some may offer to build.  But you'd be looking at quite a price tag and that would be without the glass.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2014, 12:51:45 pm »

The biggest selling points for the GoPro are cost, ease of use, light weight and most of all durability. I understand patrics thought about not having such a wide angle lens, but then again that is why it is so it can capture as much as it can, and that's why I like using mine.

And yes adding zoom would require larger optics and more elements, as well as the mechanicals behind controlling an optical zoom, more weight, and yes you can do virtual zoom as well, but you also would require a better stabilization platform as well, since regardless of the zoom method, it over exaggerates any movement or vibration induced into the camera.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2014, 12:59:29 pm »

Hasn’t anyone been working on a GoPro case with an optical zoom?  Just seems like a no-brainer there would be a market for it.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2014, 01:12:06 pm »

Hasn’t anyone been working on a GoPro case with an optical zoom?  Just seems like a no-brainer there would be a market for it.

That's not a bad idea. You could make a replacement lens for the front of the body, since the make a stock one, that would act like a "doubler" like the ones that were made for twin lens reflex cameras.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2014, 01:39:09 pm »

The biggest selling points for the GoPro are cost, ease of use, light weight and most of all durability. I understand patrics thought about not having such a wide angle lens, but then again that is why it is so it can capture as much as it can, and that's why I like using mine.

And yes adding zoom would require larger optics and more elements, as well as the mechanicals behind controlling an optical zoom, more weight, and yes you can do virtual zoom as well, but you also would require a better stabilization platform as well, since regardless of the zoom method, it over exaggerates any movement or vibration induced into the camera.

There have been so many GoPros in Phantom crash videos that have survived where I absolutely am sold on the GoPro durability.  Some survive from falls from over 200 feet will little more than surface scratches.

[youtube]eHqae-TIspM[/youtube]

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2014, 01:43:42 pm »

As I was reading this thread, I mentioned to MC we need a UAV to harass crazy pants next door.  Nothing close mind you, but simply hovering a couple hundred feet overhead.  Maybe if she thinks the CIA and MI6 finally found her, she will get the hell out of our neighborhood.

I could bring mine over one day.  That thing is hella loud and could be mistaken for a swarm of bees even at 200 AGL.   Grin

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2014, 02:12:13 pm »

I could bring mine over one day.  That thing is hella loud and could be mistaken for a swarm of bees even at 200 AGL.   Grin

THAT would be awesome!  Reminds me, my neighbor across the street (not crazy pants) has worked where you do for about 30 years.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2014, 02:45:51 pm »

THAT would be awesome!  Reminds me, my neighbor across the street (not crazy pants) has worked where you do for about 30 years.

There's only one or two that do.  I likely know him.  I'll PM you.

Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2014, 06:57:49 pm »

What I'm currently working on, others have used to put big glass on it.  It's large diameter, but would require a sizable power source.  The RTF (ready-to-fly) models aren't really cost-effective.

What i'm building right now is about double the diameter and three times the lift capabilities of the Phantoms.  However, I'm still going with a GoPro on mine simply because I don't want to have $1000 worth of fragile optics PLUS the $1500 in hardware pushing it at the mercy of a thermal or VRS (also known as 'settling with power').  The Tarot FY680pro or even their 960 has combo kits, and some may offer to build.  But you'd be looking at quite a price tag and that would be without the glass.

This would be fun:

https://ci6.googleusercontent.com/proxy/RXq25mG5ZbS8j18bD8zaPqibEe8NycYaCjW1Bc-0zovkiYvEz6lfRf-V2jXmdBtxHfKSQY6cYLDgzPcteEwqkQgE1XNcrNK1BL1c=s0-d-e1-ft#https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BwzeIdbCAAAIa68.jpg:large
Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2014, 10:54:26 pm »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1ZB_rGFyeU[/youtube]
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2014, 01:26:33 am »

A photo of my current build (nearly complete, have it all wired but having some issues getting it off the ground properly).

DSC_0600

Here's the link to the entire album.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsk5Yutyc

DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2014, 03:49:29 pm »

Hoss. How long is the flight time?

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2014, 04:19:08 pm »

Hoss. How long is the flight time?

Hmm...looks like a question that Conan asked earlier that was similar in nature is gone.  I'm going to attribute that to the database crash error I got earlier.

The calculations with the current battery I have (4S, which is a 14.8v LiPo and 8000mah) and the current weight is about 20 minutes of flight time.  If I put optics on it weight is added, so obviously that flight time goes down.  I haven't tested flight time yet simply because we are still working on getting it right because it isn't flying right now.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org