A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 08:11:23 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Remote Controlled Multicopters  (Read 108757 times)
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2014, 10:37:11 am »

This is an area where I think technology and ease of use has surpassed the previous generations of RC aircraft. And while serious RC pilots know the rules and regulations, it's now reasonably cheap to buy a multi-rotor aircraft, attach a camera with a down link, and fly it anywhere within the range of the controller. For around $1000.00 I can get one and film from it and fly it at high altitudes, I guess 2000' is a piece of cake for some models. But to me the issue is you have people unfamiliar with the regulations and rules, or just don't care, that will use them in areas they shouldn't. I'm not paranoid about it, but there are safety issues, and maybe some common sense, although I think that part escapes a lot of people.

So how do you regulate something like this?

Peer influence?  User groups?

The Parks Service, FAA, etc. applying old rules that really dont apply wont work, and there will always be douches in any hobby, so setting a good example seems to be where we are at.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2014, 10:56:49 am »

This is an area where I think technology and ease of use has surpassed the previous generations of RC aircraft. And while serious RC pilots know the rules and regulations, it's now reasonably cheap to buy a multi-rotor aircraft, attach a camera with a down link, and fly it anywhere within the range of the controller. For around $1000.00 I can get one and film from it and fly it at high altitudes, I guess 2000' is a piece of cake for some models. But to me the issue is you have people unfamiliar with the regulations and rules, or just don't care, that will use them in areas they shouldn't. I'm not paranoid about it, but there are safety issues, and maybe some common sense, although I think that part escapes a lot of people.

So how do you regulate something like this?

The biggest paranoia that I see from people about UAV ("drone"..hobbyists HATE that term) flying, especially those with optics, is that they think you are spying on them.

These things aren't capable of carrying the equipment needed to do 'covert surveillance'.  A GoPro camera is typically the payload, so those of you familiar with those understand where I'm coming from.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2014, 11:05:29 am »

The biggest paranoia that I see from people about UAV ("drone"..hobbyists HATE that term) flying, especially those with optics, is that they think you are spying on them.

These things aren't capable of carrying the equipment needed to do 'covert surveillance'.  A GoPro camera is typically the payload, so those of you familiar with those understand where I'm coming from.

I have two GoPro cameras and completely agree on the images they capture. They are wide angle and have no zoom capabilities, so it literally has to be less than 5' from you to get great detail, and while you can use newer ones as a POV camera via Bluetooth, there is a delay between camera movement and what you see on a tablet of ~3 seconds, as well as the limitations of Bluetooth range.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 11:07:09 am by dbacksfan 2.0 » Logged
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2014, 11:36:10 am »

I have two GoPro cameras and completely agree on the images they capture. They are wide angle and have no zoom capabilities, so it literally has to be less than 5' from you to get great detail, and while you can use newer ones as a POV camera via Bluetooth, there is a delay between camera movement and what you see on a tablet of ~3 seconds, as well as the limitations of Bluetooth range.

The latency is better if you use a true FPV setup; probably better than 1/4 of a second latency.  That does, however, require special equipment such as http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11_22&products_id=524 which gives much better range.  If you want to delve into 1.2/1.3 ghz, then you get better video as well as MUCH longer range.  I know several guys with FPV rigs that get over 2 miles range.  That's straight up sick.

Also, with my Phantom, it doesn't use bluetooth for POV on either a phone or tablet.  It use 2.4ghz wireless, so the camera itself has an access point in it, and you attach a wireless "extender" to get decent range out of it.  You pair it up just like connecting to a wi-fi router.  I can get about 600 feet or thereabouts in range with that setup.  The latency is negligible if any.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 11:39:10 am by Hoss » Logged

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2014, 11:53:10 am »

These things aren't capable of carrying the equipment needed to do 'covert surveillance'.  A GoPro camera is typically the payload, so those of you familiar with those understand where I'm coming from.

Last month a Seattle woman said that a drone made her nervous because it was flying outside of her window.  Early media reports called the device a flying “Peeping Tom.”  Soon afterwards, national reports exploded with more than one hundred stories, focused mostly on the news media’s construction of a privacy violation.  Now, the photograph of the flight has been provided to Forbes, and it shows that the company flying the drone was merely making a panoramic photograph of the city skyline.  The arc of this story — a buzzworthy first report, that later ends up being false— is emblematic of many drone related stories which threaten to jeopardize the nascent industry.

The Seattle non-incident gained national media attention after the woman called her building’s concierge to complain that the drone may have been used to look into her apartment.  What received less prominent national media attention was the statement of Joe Vaughn, founder of startup company Skyris Imaging.  Vaughn said that he and the pilot of the drone were shooting a panoramic view of the city for a client who was planning to build a 20-story office tower near the woman’s apartment building.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gregorymcneal/2014/07/14/alleged-drone-peeping-tom-photo-reveals-perils-of-drone-related-journalism/

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2014, 12:00:24 pm »

Here's a sample of mine, taken in the first weeks I had it.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2014, 01:41:20 pm »

All those cranes...
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2014, 03:22:50 pm »

The latency is better if you use a true FPV setup; probably better than 1/4 of a second latency.  That does, however, require special equipment such as http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11_22&products_id=524 which gives much better range.  If you want to delve into 1.2/1.3 ghz, then you get better video as well as MUCH longer range.  I know several guys with FPV rigs that get over 2 miles range.  That's straight up sick.

Also, with my Phantom, it doesn't use bluetooth for POV on either a phone or tablet.  It use 2.4ghz wireless, so the camera itself has an access point in it, and you attach a wireless "extender" to get decent range out of it.  You pair it up just like connecting to a wi-fi router.  I can get about 600 feet or thereabouts in range with that setup.  The latency is negligible if any.

As I was reading this thread, I mentioned to MC we need a UAV to harass crazy pants next door.  Nothing close mind you, but simply hovering a couple hundred feet overhead.  Maybe if she thinks the CIA and MI6 finally found her, she will get the hell out of our neighborhood.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2014, 05:15:14 pm »

That article also mentions the incident in NYC where the police helicopter approached a hobbyists UAV at rooftop levels, then falsely claimed they were victims of a "near miss." 
They seized any video that disputed their claim, but here is video of another episode that actually shows a police helicopter trying to crash a UAV with their rotor wash:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smxql2PXehI [/youtube]

Downing UAVs with police helicopters would be reckless and irresponsible, so lets hope this is not a trend.

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2014, 01:58:48 pm »

First Person Viewing sounds like a good investment, especially if you are streaming your video to a remote server for security.
It may not prevent the loss of the camera, but at least you will have good video of what happened.

DJI's behind-the-scenes peek at the hardware (which is also a blatant promotional video) but still cool:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_L6Phuwqi7Y[/youtube]

sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2014, 12:46:17 pm »

It's nice but those toys are expensive.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2014, 01:51:53 pm »

It's nice but those toys are expensive.

All toys for grown up boys are expensive.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2014, 12:13:09 pm »

Hawk's airspace violated, hawk wins.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhDG_WBIQgc[/youtube]

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2014, 12:39:52 pm »

Hawk's airspace violated, hawk wins.

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2014, 10:53:43 am »

An acquaintance of mine who has build the same exact hexacopter rig as I'm building took a trip to Picher over the weekend.  He posted this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijaJgGyFwkw

Id like to get away from the default GoPro wide angle optics if/when I take the plunge, so Im curious, is anyone working with a high-res camera as their navigation view?  Gimbal mount would be a must.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org