A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:21:54 pm
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Remote Controlled Multicopters  (Read 108761 times)
Vision 2025
Philanthropist

« Reply #135 on: November 02, 2016, 02:49:17 pm »

Class G Airspace = Airspace not designated as Class A, B, C, D, or E is considered uncontrolled, Class G, airspace. ATC does not have
the authority or responsibility to manage of air traffic within this airspace. In the Eastern U.S., Class G airspace lies
between the surface and 700/1200 feet AGL.

Vision 2025 Program Director - know the facts, www.Vision2025.info
Vision 2025
Philanthropist

« Reply #136 on: November 02, 2016, 03:54:26 pm »

Problems with law abiding drone operators are few; unfortunately the other category from my experience appears to contain a plethora of members...  Two weeks ago I was traveling cross country through some pretty crowded military airspace in the SE and heard a pilot on an IFR flight plan report a near miss with a drone, and needless to say he was pretty darn excited.  Center asked him "ident" so they could confirm his location and to state his altitude which he did at 9,000 feet which the controller confirmed as what his Mode C was indicating.  They then asked him to estimate the drone's altitude and separation and he reported just below him and less than 100-150 feet off his right side.  The Center Controller stated they had a good radar location and gave him a phone number to call after landing to complete the report; the pilot said thanks and closed with "that was one big chunk of metal that went under my wing."

That's two near misses that I have direct knowledge of... I'm afraid its only a matter of time until a drone makes it into the FAA's collision category.

I don't mean to offend anyone, but it's not as big of a sky as some may think and we all need to pay attention.

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #137 on: November 02, 2016, 04:41:21 pm »

"that was one big chunk of metal that went under my wing."

I cant help but wonder if it could have been a fixed-wing drone, given the altitude.  Reports rarely seem to distinguish between copters and Predators, etc.  and in some instances balloons and flying plastic bags.

OTOH, how high can a fly-way go before the battery runs out?

Good to know the rubber manufacturing industry is protected in Oklahoma.  Wink

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #138 on: November 02, 2016, 06:35:27 pm »

Problems with law abiding drone operators are few; unfortunately the other category from my experience appears to contain a plethora of members...  Two weeks ago I was traveling cross country through some pretty crowded military airspace in the SE and heard a pilot on an IFR flight plan report a near miss with a drone, and needless to say he was pretty darn excited.  Center asked him "ident" so they could confirm his location and to state his altitude which he did at 9,000 feet which the controller confirmed as what his Mode C was indicating.  They then asked him to estimate the drone's altitude and separation and he reported just below him and less than 100-150 feet off his right side.  The Center Controller stated they had a good radar location and gave him a phone number to call after landing to complete the report; the pilot said thanks and closed with "that was one big chunk of metal that went under my wing."

That's two near misses that I have direct knowledge of... I'm afraid its only a matter of time until a drone makes it into the FAA's collision category.

I don't mean to offend anyone, but it's not as big of a sky as some may think and we all need to pay attention.

Either that pilot has eagle-like vision or that was a very good sized drone.  I’m having a hard time believing this was a multi-copter, do most even have enough thrust to handle the air density at 9000 MSL? 

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #139 on: November 02, 2016, 11:08:44 pm »

Either that pilot has eagle-like vision or that was a very good sized drone.  I’m having a hard time believing this was a multi-copter, do most even have enough thrust to handle the air density at 9000 MSL? 

Not at 9000 feet.  Most transmitters won't even go that far.  That's nearly two miles above sea level.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #140 on: November 03, 2016, 07:54:01 am »

Just gonna leave this here...

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/how-high-can-a-drone-fly-enthusiast-illegally-flies-drone-to-11000-feet_uk_56e16418e4b096ed3adbaad0

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Vision 2025
Philanthropist

« Reply #141 on: November 03, 2016, 09:06:53 am »

Not at 9000 feet.  Most transmitters won't even go that far.  That's nearly two miles above sea level.
While I didn't see it I clearly heard the guy on the frequency several times before he reported the near-miss and he was always calm and with the report he was obviously shook up/taking fast...  I didn't hear him again afterward to hear if he calmed down as I was handed off to another sector shortly thereafter. 

As for needing eagle eyes, you often see birds and plastic shopping bags, even the occasional bug that high and when they come nose to nose close believe me you see 'em and take notice. 

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #142 on: November 03, 2016, 09:34:06 am »

While I didn't see it I clearly heard the guy on the frequency several times before he reported the near-miss and he was always calm and with the report he was obviously shook up/taking fast...  I didn't hear him again afterward to hear if he calmed down as I was handed off to another sector shortly thereafter. 

As for needing eagle eyes, you often see birds and plastic shopping bags, even the occasional bug that high and when they come nose to nose close believe me you see 'em and take notice. 

When I was actively flying, I really don’t recall any close calls with smaller objects.  I would get a kick out of the controller advising an air liner they were passing near a smaller aircraft and the reply from the cockpit: “Yes sir, we’ve got it on the metal detector!”

I was not aware you are a pilot, how long have you been punching holes in the air?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Vision 2025
Philanthropist

« Reply #143 on: November 03, 2016, 10:42:33 am »

When I was actively flying, I really don’t recall any close calls with smaller objects.  I would get a kick out of the controller advising an air liner they were passing near a smaller aircraft and the reply from the cockpit: “Yes sir, we’ve got it on the metal detector!”

I was not aware you are a pilot, how long have you been punching holes in the air?
Grew up flying with my dad and started myself 12 years ago for fun.  Last few years I've spent a bunch of time going from A-B and back for work (we're active in 7 states) and take the occasional fun trip, flew 300+ hours last year...

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #144 on: November 29, 2016, 11:39:42 am »

http://www.fox23.com/news/man-uses-drone-to-follow-suspects-after-downtown-tulsa-break-in/471128851

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #145 on: November 29, 2016, 01:12:20 pm »

follows suspects all the way across the street.
drunk bourbon robber was to deaf to notice (or to dumb to care) of the copter hovering overhead.
coincidence of copter already in use feet away from crime.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #146 on: November 29, 2016, 01:59:02 pm »

drunk bourbon robber was to deaf to notice (or to dumb to care) of the copter hovering overhead.

Did you even watch the piece?

1.  Wasn't bourbon, it was scotch.
2.  The drone was being used by the security guard to check for people parking illegally; he used it in this instance to find thieves.

People have misconceptions about drones (which they really shouldn't be called).  It's not like they used it to identify them explicitly.  If you watched the piece, it said the owner/security guard used it to direct police to where these guys were so they could apprehend them.

And yes, I get a little touchy about this because I own two of them (one I built and one I bought).

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #147 on: November 29, 2016, 02:31:11 pm »

At a distance of 100' you'd be hard pressed to hear it unless you were trying to.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #148 on: November 29, 2016, 03:25:23 pm »

At a distance of 100' you'd be hard pressed to hear it unless you were trying to.

Not so sure about that.  The smaller ones with composite props spin fast enough that I can hear what sounds like a swarm of mad bees from that distance.  But if you're hammered....

BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #149 on: November 29, 2016, 04:18:50 pm »

At that location?  Surrounded by nice sound bouncing buildings?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org