A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:26:49 am
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cork Wine Cafe  (Read 16126 times)
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2014, 08:13:42 am »

Cork is no longer a wine bar, just a dive bar. 

My wife and I used to love this place. We would go a couple of times a month on date night and the food was always spectacular. Service was excellent, and the wines were well-chosen and properly poured.

After while without a visit, we finally got an opportunity for an evening without the kids and headed to Cork. We noticed that the place had been re-arranged a bit and figured it may be under new ownership. We sat and looked at the menu, which had been scaled down from the original considerably, into a one page laminated sheet of paper with just a few selections. For starters we ordered the roquefort cheese tureen and some wine. When the tureen arrived it was obvious that it had sat in a fridge covered for quite a while. Some of the grapes were growing mold, and most of the crackers were broken. We ate around the fuzzy grapes and it was Meh.

We ordered the chicken dish with the caper sauce to share. We always used to love this, because it was large enough to share and came with a wonderful potato mash and some asparagus with a grilled red pepper garnish. It was always plated well and was very reasonably priced. They also had a pork-chop, and halibut dish that was to die for!

We sat, watching the other group pound beers and type away on their laptops. The server visited them several times to pick up empties, bring fresh beers, and chat.

After waiting for about a half hour (even though we were the only people ordering food) our entrée arrived. It consisted of a lump of glutenous angel hair pasta that had obviously been re-heated before service with a small half chicken breast on top covered by the sauce. The sticky glob of pasta had a strange "dish-water" smell that encouraged my wife not to even touch it. The presentation rivaled that of a soup kitchen, not a wine bar.

We would usually stay quite a while and try a couple of new wines after our meal, but we were understandably ready to leave, and my wife even suggested we swing by Chicken Express across the parking lot for a snack before going to the movies.

As a few other groups arrived during the course of our meal, we noticed that everyone was just coming to drink beer. The second service person arrived as we waited for our check, and fired into a very loud conversation with the kitchen staff that everyone in the restaurant had the pleasure of listening to. She had an interesting week.

Unfortunately Cork has turned 180 degrees away from an upscale wine bar, and that is fine, but I would encourage a name change, and a significant reduction in food prices, as well as a pub-grub menu that can be executed with minimal oversight. I believe there was a chalk sign near the bar that offered cheap beer prices ($1.50 Domestics or something of the like), so perhaps they should turn their focus on cultivating that clientele.

We obviously won't be back.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2014, 08:43:51 am »

Maybe they are getting ready to change the name to the “Bottle Cap"

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2014, 08:48:12 am »

Their Facebook page still makes them look upscale. Several local musicians performing and a two page menu posted looks pretty good. I'm curious about the price range since the menu posted does not show them.

https://www.facebook.com/TulsaCork

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2014, 08:49:22 am »

Their Facebook page still makes them look upscale. Several local musicians performing and a two page menu posted looks pretty good. I'm curious about the price range since the menu posted does not show them.

https://www.facebook.com/TulsaCork

Same as the old prices but the menu is scaled back.  $26-$30 for an entrée.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org