A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:16:36 am
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ebola  (Read 45639 times)
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #150 on: October 31, 2014, 07:29:49 am »

He has Malaria

Run for your lives.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #151 on: October 31, 2014, 07:58:54 am »

He has Malaria

Run for your lives.

That's pretty bad, too.

If ebola is transmitted by bodily fluids, and blood is a bodily fluid, then mosquitoes must be a vector, too.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #152 on: October 31, 2014, 08:06:45 am »

That's pretty bad, too.

If ebola is transmitted by bodily fluids, and blood is a bodily fluid, then mosquitoes must be a vector, too.

http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/transmission/index.html?s_cid=cs_3923

There is no evidence that mosquitos or other insects can transmit Ebola virus.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #153 on: October 31, 2014, 08:20:29 am »

They keep saying that....then there are cases where it just doesn't quite fit....

I think it is most likely that the "unexplained" transmissions are sloppy hygiene - endemic in this country where there is no excuse, and even bigger in places without clean water and cleaning capabilities.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #154 on: October 31, 2014, 10:30:25 am »

They keep saying that....then there are cases where it just doesn't quite fit....

I think it is most likely that the "unexplained" transmissions are sloppy hygiene - endemic in this country where there is no excuse, and even bigger in places without clean water and cleaning capabilities.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #155 on: October 31, 2014, 01:33:27 pm »

So which face do you feed when you eat?  Or just share equally between them all - a few bites for all of you??

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #156 on: October 31, 2014, 02:34:48 pm »

You almost sounded like cabbage with this post...

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #157 on: October 31, 2014, 04:40:47 pm »

TNF is blessed to have such well respected and renowned infectious disease experts and physicians in this forum to make sure we all know the risks for transmission of Ebola, and also to let us as a nation know what we should be worried about. No need for all that hospital training that Tulsa hospitals are going through right now, because obviously they are overreacting. And the public, they are a bunch of dumb@sses. I mean, its not as if the military is being involuntarily quarantined by Obama for three weeks when they return from the hot zone.

Dr. Swake. Thanks for being you. Make sure you pass around your expertise to those stupid health care workers on the front lines of treatment who are too stupid to be as enlightened as you.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #158 on: October 31, 2014, 08:00:49 pm »

Bingo......!!

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #159 on: October 31, 2014, 08:13:17 pm »

TNF is blessed to have such well respected and renowned infectious disease experts and physicians in this forum to make sure we all know the risks for transmission of Ebola, and also to let us as a nation know what we should be worried about. No need for all that hospital training that Tulsa hospitals are going through right now, because obviously they are overreacting. And the public, they are a bunch of dumb@sses. I mean, its not as if the military is being involuntarily quarantined by Obama for three weeks when they return from the hot zone.

Dr. Swake. Thanks for being you. Make sure you pass around your expertise to those stupid health care workers on the front lines of treatment who are too stupid to be as enlightened as you.

I certainly applaud the Tulsa County Health Department for being diligent in following up.  But was it really necessary to release information that we had a “potential” ebola case in the timeframe they did that?  Less than 12 hours later, we find out it’s malaria.  How many people showed up at ER’s around the area in the last 12 hours with a slight fever, in a total panic, thinking they might have had contact with this guy? KRMG should get the Everest award for their effort on this molehill.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #160 on: October 31, 2014, 08:45:58 pm »

I certainly applaud the Tulsa County Health Department for being diligent in following up.  But was it really necessary to release information that we had a “potential” ebola case in the timeframe they did that?  Less than 12 hours later, we find out it’s malaria.  How many people showed up at ER’s around the area in the last 12 hours with a slight fever, in a total panic, thinking they might have had contact with this guy? KRMG should get the Everest award for their effort on this molehill.

The rumor mill had already been cranked up to 11, believe me. What I have been seeing, in my opinion, are health care workers fearing the unexpected, and their families and friends feeding off of it. I would be curious to know what the ER patient stats were, as well as admissions/discharges, at this particular hospital when the story broke.

As you can surmise, I do not blame anyone who is scared about this disease. Folks are getting mixed messages throughout all levels of government, and have got to be influenced tremendously by the very high death rate or even how its being politicized. It's natural and expected--except to those who are just smarter/braver etc.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #161 on: October 31, 2014, 09:45:15 pm »

"Mr Patient, we have good news for you. You have Malaria."
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #162 on: November 02, 2014, 09:05:30 pm »

So, ..... are you saying the CDC is lying about everything they say about how to avoid this stuff?

« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 09:08:00 pm by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #163 on: November 02, 2014, 09:13:12 pm »

So, ..... are you saying the CDC is lying about everything they say about how to avoid this stuff?

No, but with your response it appears you don't believe them.  Or you're skeptical.  Skepticism is fine, however....

* More Americans have been dumped by Taylor Swift than have died from Ebola.
* More Americans have Leprosy in the US than have Ebola.  Are people freaking out from it?

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #164 on: November 02, 2014, 09:42:04 pm »

No, but with your response it appears you don't believe them.  Or you're skeptical.  Skepticism is fine, however....

* More Americans have been dumped by Taylor Swift than have died from Ebola.
* More Americans have Leprosy in the US than have Ebola.  Are people freaking out from it?

Will attempt to clarify... yeah, I believe them.

This is what skeptics are saying....

And this is the rebuttal to those skeptic thoughts, which is pretty much what I think;

There is a lot of very bad hygiene habits in this country - check out the kitchen of just about any restaurant you eat at.  But we also know that the nurses in Dallas spent 2 full days (that is being admitted to) without proper PPE gear, as detailed by the CDC.  And that it was present at the hospital for use, but someone along the line told them no, you don't need that....    Could it have been management?

And for days afterward, the CDC "talking head" kept casting aspersions at nurses with the very definite implications that somehow they were responsible because they screwed up somehow.  Which the nurses didn't.

So, the CDC is mostly right - vastly mostly right...but they still can get quite a bit wrong - especially when, as a large government bureaucracy, they have to to try to find scapegoats..... On the medical side, though, there ain't much better in this country.

Seems like I posted something earlier about how we have 37,000 people die of flu every year....and there is probably a majority don't even get interested in that.  It will be interesting to see if people change their minds about quarantine if that nurse gets it....

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org