A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 04:23:45 am
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ebola  (Read 46512 times)
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #135 on: October 28, 2014, 08:37:19 pm »

Apparently quarantining persons that volunteer health care workers overseas to help Ebola is bad, but quarantining volunteer soldiers that go to the same area is good. Can someone explain to me the difference?

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #136 on: October 28, 2014, 10:53:04 pm »

Apparently quarantining persons that volunteer health care workers overseas to help Ebola is bad, but quarantining volunteer soldiers that go to the same area is good. Can someone explain to me the difference?

UCMJ vs Constitution.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #137 on: October 29, 2014, 12:35:39 am »

UCMJ vs Constitution.

And in the middle is all of us who could be exposed to/infected by Ebola by those medical professionals given preferential treatment? I am not looking for the legal justification, I want to know the fargin logic.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #138 on: October 29, 2014, 01:33:24 am »

And in the middle is all of us who could be exposed to/infected by Ebola by those medical professionals given preferential treatment? I am not looking for the legal justification, I want to know the fargin logic.

I'm not overly concerned, but I think that the US, for as much as we want believe that we are prepared for something like this, we're not. Not blaming any one of the alphabet of agencies, but it just seems that between the Fed level and the State level, there is no commonality of standards and practices, and for the most part it seems that there are minimal beds and facilities that could handle a serious outbreak. Reminds me of the cold war days where we had a certain number of Fallout Shelters and at best those were capable of only delaying the inevitable. Not trying to be fatalistic, just my own realistic view of how things might happen.

I don't think that the solution is gov't run hospitals with requirements for isolation wards, and I have had personal experience with an isolation ward/floor when the former MrsDbacks contracted meningitis and was held in isolation for 72 hours to try and determine what she had, whether it was viral or bacterial, and had to dress in a disposable gown, gloves, mask, shield, and boots to go into her room. The hospital she was in only had 8 rooms, and it was nothing near what they need for Ebola. At the time in Phoenix the total capacity for a metro area of 3+million people the amount of isolation rooms was way less than 1%, and a lot of hospitals had no isolation area.

I don't know what the answer is to be prepared, a hospital can't afford to maintain rooms for isolation that are not used 99% of the time, and they can't afford to have a large number of rooms that are not used in case of a large intake of people that need to be isolated, and moving patients around to accept and configure rooms.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #139 on: October 29, 2014, 09:45:20 am »

I'm not overly concerned, but I think that the US, for as much as we want believe that we are prepared for something like this, we're not. Not blaming any one of the alphabet of agencies, but it just seems that between the Fed level and the State level, there is no commonality of standards and practices, and for the most part it seems that there are minimal beds and facilities that could handle a serious outbreak. Reminds me of the cold war days where we had a certain number of Fallout Shelters and at best those were capable of only delaying the inevitable. Not trying to be fatalistic, just my own realistic view of how things might happen.

I don't think that the solution is gov't run hospitals with requirements for isolation wards, and I have had personal experience with an isolation ward/floor when the former MrsDbacks contracted meningitis and was held in isolation for 72 hours to try and determine what she had, whether it was viral or bacterial, and had to dress in a disposable gown, gloves, mask, shield, and boots to go into her room. The hospital she was in only had 8 rooms, and it was nothing near what they need for Ebola. At the time in Phoenix the total capacity for a metro area of 3+million people the amount of isolation rooms was way less than 1%, and a lot of hospitals had no isolation area.

I don't know what the answer is to be prepared, a hospital can't afford to maintain rooms for isolation that are not used 99% of the time, and they can't afford to have a large number of rooms that are not used in case of a large intake of people that need to be isolated, and moving patients around to accept and configure rooms.

Problem solved - use the old 'tried and true' methods;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leper_colony

Or this;

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1079536/

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #140 on: October 30, 2014, 01:19:42 pm »

Blackwell Schools are asking a teacher to be in quarantine for visiting Rwanda, which while it is in Africa does not have any Ebola cases and is more than a thousand miles from the impacted areas.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/28/ebola-rwanda-oklahoma-teacher_n_6062726.html

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #141 on: October 30, 2014, 01:23:04 pm »

Blackwell Schools are asking a teacher to be in quarantine for visiting Rwanda, which while it is in Africa does not have any Ebola cases and is more than a thousand miles from the impacted areas.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/28/ebola-rwanda-oklahoma-teacher_n_6062726.html

After being forced to by an online petition.

This indicates the level of education in our state.  IMO.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #142 on: October 30, 2014, 01:31:35 pm »

After being forced to by an online petition.

This indicates the level of education in our state.  IMO.

And the number of people that get their news via facebook comments
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #143 on: October 30, 2014, 02:23:35 pm »

Teh geographies are difficult for some people.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #144 on: October 30, 2014, 03:07:54 pm »

As a collective, Oklahoma does a fair job of making itself look like a gaggle of dumbasses.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #145 on: October 30, 2014, 04:28:19 pm »

Teh geographies are difficult for some people.

Rwanda is east of the Atlantic.  That should be good enough.

Grin

Ed W
City Father

Re:
« Reply #146 on: October 30, 2014, 08:24:57 pm »

Ch 6 is running a crawler saying that we may have an ebola case in Tulsa. By morning, people will be running in the streets with their hair on fire.

Ed W

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #147 on: October 30, 2014, 10:39:16 pm »

There is a lot of talk about how only contact with bodily fluids can transmit the disease...

How about just the gaseous emissions from gastrointestinal systems in distress...some more noxious than others?  These contain bodily fluids in the form of mists/vapors.  The odors from the more noxious end usually are from hydrogen sulfide (sulfur) compounds - comparatively small molecules.  Plus some nitrogen, oxygen, water, and some larger smelly items (indole, skatole) created by gut bacteria.  Given the volume and velocity, it is highly likely that these things will be airborne for some time....with some level of virus mixed in the mess.  (If you can smell it, it is in the air...)

So, if you can smell it, the contamination would likely be present, so if you don't have filtering/isolation adequate to eliminate the odor, exposure to the virus should be very possible.

Related item;
If you can smell it, that means you are walking into the 'danger' zone of everything from bacteria to DNA from the source!   Are there lung disinfectants available...??

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #148 on: October 31, 2014, 02:21:35 am »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7u08u8GA_rg[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDAmPIq29ro[/youtube]

« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 02:28:55 am by dbacksfan 2.0 » Logged
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #149 on: October 31, 2014, 07:18:43 am »

Slow news day.....

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org