A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:21:37 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why hockey is awesome...  (Read 4952 times)
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« on: March 03, 2015, 04:52:14 pm »

...most Oklahomans don't follow hockey (both our local team and the NHL) the way I do.  Yesterday was the NHL trade deadline, which usually lines up some blockbuster trades.

But, one little girl brokered the trade of the season.  For her dad.

http://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2015/03/02/minnesota-wild-jordan-leopold-daughter-trade-letter

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 05:31:51 pm »

"...and you lovley coaches...”

From the mouths of babes.  That was awesome!

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 05:53:38 pm »

"...and you lovley coaches...”

From the mouths of babes.  That was awesome!

Post return...part of an interview the Minneapolis Star-Tribune did about it...

On that letter (if you don’t know what I’m talking about, please look at the story in the paper and the past two blogs) written by actually his 10-year-old daughter (not 11), Jordyn, Leopold said, “That letter was written by my daughter back in January. With anybody that has kids, you know they take things upon themselves sometimes. She was writing a little bit persuasively at school and thought it was a good idea to write a persuasive letter. That was something our family shared, ended up putting it on Facebook. Friends and family saw it and some other wives through the years that can relate to it, it definitely has some sentiment. I actually told my wife maybe she should take that off before deadline, but it ended up staying on and going out there. A local friend who is on the radio (Paul Allen) ended up getting it from my wife and made it public just before the deadline. It is what it is, it’s a good story and I’m happy the media spun it the right way because really, in the end, this business is hard on families. It really is. Myself, with the experiences I’ve had over the years, it’s been crazy. But I woke up this morning and Carson Daly is reading the letter on the Today Show, and we’ve been contacted by everyone to get my daughter on TV. We’re quite humble people, the fame or whatever you call it, we don’t want it to get to their heads, but it’s nice. But like I said, there are many teammates that have reached out and said it was a good thing. I think the hockey community sees it that way as well. It has definitely been an interesting 24 hours.”

Asked how Jordyn reacted, Leopold, getting emotional, said, “My daughter is very shy. But my kids picked me up at the airport last night with open arms and it was special. I try not to get emotional, but it is. It’s a good thing.”

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
davideinstein
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 02:49:10 pm »

I love hockey. Go Canes!
Laramie
City Father

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2015, 11:22:44 am »

Will the infamous Blazers-Ice Oilers 'Turnpike Rivalry' return in 2016...

OKC Blazers “Interested” In Return, Joining ECHL in 2016

“I’m ready to talk about the future, not necessarily the past,” said Lund via telephone on Tuesday afternoon. “Historically the Oklahoma City Blazers did well. When the Hornets came to town (after Hurricane Katrina) it hit us, and it hit us hard. So, yes, we started giving away tickets, and selling discount tickets. Others have made it sound like we gave away tickets for seventeen years. We didn’t.”

So Lund, and a group of six others, headed to Scottsdale, Arizona for a makeshift reunion, but more importantly to discuss the potential return of the Oklahoma City Blazers in the wake of the loss of AHL hockey.

...For some this news is a change of pace. For others it is a celebration. Regardless, knowing that Oklahoma City is a desired market for someone helps ease the pain of recently losing a team. I say…fingers crossed.

http://www.tendthefarm.com/okc-blazers-interested-in-return-joining-echl-in-2016/

IMHO the Funks have the finances (Express Sports); however, they don't have the 'know how' to manage sports on any level in OKC.  They have half-stepped with every endeavor from the IGA (Ladies) Tennis Tour--lost tournament to Memphis, Oklahoma RedHawks (PCL), Oklahoma City Barons (AHL) and now the Oklahoma City Energy FC (USL soccer) is a work-in-progress.

Brad Lund (ECHL hockey) can make you a buck as long as he has access to OPMs...  Don't claim to know anything about Jeff (former Ice Oilers GM); really can't say if he is in this equation.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 11:38:07 am by Laramie » Logged

“Think for yourself and let others enjoy the privilege of doing so too.” ― Voltaire
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org