A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:13:12 am
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Adult Bicycle  (Read 10859 times)
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« on: September 21, 2014, 01:36:59 pm »

Looking for recommendations on an adult bicycle.
I havent ridden in years, but my needs should be simple... 2 wheels, less than 80 gears, something like a hybrid that I could use to get around the area but also take on a trail occasionally.

Im confused by sizes, which seem like a sort of hit-and-miss affair.  Im around 160 (pounds) if that helps.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 01:48:17 pm »

I'd say just a regular 10 speed road bike should do fine, most stores only seem to sell "mountain bikes" these days, so you may need to visit a bike store. I have an old  10 speed bike that I bought in the 1980's at Sears gathering dust in my garage. I'm not much of a cyclist. I never could get into that sport, I am a runner however and do a lot of running on the RiverSide Jogging trails. Many of the bikes I see on the trails seem to be expensive bikes.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 02:50:37 pm »

I'd say just a regular 10 speed road bike should do fine, most stores only seem to sell "mountain bikes" these days, so you may need to visit a bike store. I have an old  10 speed bike that I bought in the 1980's at Sears gathering dust in my garage. I'm not much of a cyclist. I never could get into that sport, I am a runner however and do a lot of running on the RiverSide Jogging trails. Many of the bikes I see on the trails seem to be expensive bikes.

Squirrel!  I see a squirrel!

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 02:57:07 pm »

Visit a bike shop on a weekday afternoon, not late Friday or on Saturday when most of their repairs are going out. Visit several shops to get a feel for the places. This is important because they'll be doing service after the sale. Most shops will do minor adjustments at no charge after you purchase a bike. Cables stretch and spokes loosen, so the bike will need some service as it breaks in. A road bike has dropped handlebars and a tucked position. It offers speed and efficiency but may not be comfortable for a novice. (My touring bike, though it looks like a racer, is as comfortable as an old couch and about as heavy.) Mountain bikes have an upright position, knobby tires, and are geared low.  A hybrid is the red-headed step child, with an upright position, wide ratio gearing suitable for both road and good trails, and multi-surface tires.

Fit is a critical issue. If the bike is too big or too small it will cause you pain. You wouldn't buy a pair of shoes that didn't fit right, so it's the same with bicycles. Fit has two major components: stand-over height or the vertical distance from the ground to the top tube or top of the seat tube, and "reach" or the distance from the seat to the handlebar. Since so many bikes come with sloping top tubes now, reach may be more important that stand over. Some shops use a computerized fit calculator while others rely on the old-school method - a critical, experienced eyeball.

Even if the bike fits properly, you're going to take about a month to adapt to the increased work load. It's normal to have a tender butt, some shoulder or neck soreness, or even numb hands. Sometimes minor adjustments make a world of difference in comfort, so it comes back to that relationship with the bike shop.

Above all, do not buy a bike from a garage sale, Craigslist, or a seedy character selling them from the back of a van.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 03:00:33 pm by Ed W » Logged

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 03:01:11 pm »

Above all, do not buy a bike from a garage sale, Craigslist, or a seedy character selling them from the back of a van.

Or Sears
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 08:24:05 pm »

My husband and I got Giant Escape hybrids  a couple of years ago from Tom's. Great all-purpose bikes. We love 'em.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 08:53:59 pm »

Looking for recommendations on an adult bicycle.
I havent ridden in years, but my needs should be simple... 2 wheels, less than 80 gears, something like a hybrid that I could use to get around the area but also take on a trail occasionally.

Im confused by sizes, which seem like a sort of hit-and-miss affair.  Im around 160 (pounds) if that helps.

Weight alone doesn’t do a thing on bike size.  It’s inseam and reach-over (torso length) which matter most when it comes to getting a good fit.  Even still, when it comes to leg length, there are many other parts of the anatomy which dictate what you need.

If memory serves me correctly, I believe you live near Mid-Town Bicycles at 27th & Harvard.  I’ve purchased bikes from them and MC and I have had the entire fleet worked on there.  See Ronnie or Chad, explain what you are looking for and it’s intended purpose, they won’t steer you wrong.  I had a great experience there in 2008 when I first got back into cycling and told them my intents and budget, and I did not feel I was over-sold.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 10:05:46 am »

I forgot about them.  I may have to drop in for a fitting.
What ive read indicates bicycle specialty shops will charge a premium, but down the road would be better than dealing with walmart.
Thanks all.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 10:09:18 am »

I forgot about them.  I may have to drop in for a fitting.
What ive read indicates bicycle specialty shops will charge a premium, but down the road would be better than dealing with walmart.
Thanks all.

Most local shops also will give you a 10% discount on parts once you have bought a bike there.  It’s worth spending a little extra up front to get great service after the sale.  Not to say shops won’t work on a mail-order bike or something you bought elsewhere, but starting there and getting the right fit assures you will be riding something which will be comfortable from the beginning.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 10:46:29 am »

Listen to the C-Man. He knows what he's talking about. I was warned about the bike I bought on Craigslist. It was very uncomfortable for me to ride. And so it had to go. When you are a kid. You can hop on and ride anything. Now I have to go for a fitting on just about everything.  Grin

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2014, 01:16:54 pm »

It's also worth spending a few extra buck to get a speedometer for your bike, I always had one on my bike back when I rode it. They also track your mileage.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2014, 01:20:22 pm »

It's also worth spending a few extra buck to get a speedometer for your bike, I always had one on my bike back when I rode it. They also track your mileage.

While we are talking bicycle improvements, I recommend one of them motor things that make the bike move without pedaling.

They are nice.

Power is nothing till you use it.
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2014, 01:44:45 pm »

While we are talking bicycle improvements, I recommend one of them motor things that make the bike move without pedaling.

They are nice.

Look no further than our very own Gary Busey's son Jake.

http://www.thejakebike.com/

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2014, 09:38:38 pm »

They are nice.

Then you could add 2 more wheels, 1 beside each of the present 2 for stability.  Add some extra seats and a roof.  Some side panels and maybe some windows would be nice too.  A window in front would be nice, keep the bugs out of your teeth. Then add...

Grin

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2014, 09:54:05 pm »

Then you could add 2 more wheels, 1 beside each of the present 2 for stability.  Add some extra seats and a roof.  Some side panels and maybe some windows would be nice too.  A window in front would be nice, keep the bugs out of your teeth. Then add...

Grin

I am a big fan of power steering.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org