A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:45:00 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tulsa Drillers press conference tomorrow (9/17)  (Read 5218 times)
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« on: September 16, 2014, 09:08:15 pm »

There will be a press conference at OneOK Field tomorrow to hold what was described as a 'major announcement' on the future of the franchise.

I'm guessing we're switching team affiliations.  I've been hearing that rumor for a while.

Also, while on the subject of Tulsa minor league sports, it would appear that the ECHL and CHL are poised to announce a merger this week.  They would likely absorb the remaining 7 CHL teams to bring their count up to 28 teams.  This is a nationwide league, with teams from Alaska to Florida, however it will be interesting (if it is indeed happening) to see how they handle this season as both leagues have finalized their 2014-2015 season schedules.

Might be an interesting day tomorrow in Tulsa minor league sports.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 11:54:56 am »

Sources: Tulsa Drillers To Become Los Angeles Dodgers Affiliate

http://www.newson6.com/story/26555743/sources-tulsa-drillers-to-become-los-angeles-dodgers-affiliate

TULSA, Oklahoma - The Tulsa Drillers will become the Double-A affiliate of the Los Angeles Dodgers starting next season, according to sources with knowledge of the situation.
The team has scheduled a 3 p.m. press conference for “a major announcement regarding the franchise.”

The Drillers just completed their 12th season as an affiliate of the Colorado Rockies.

Major league teams agree to Player Development Contracts with their affiliates that last either two years or four years. Teams are not allowed to bid money to recruit affiliates, but the Drillers' facilities and high attendance make them attractive to major league clubs.

Tulsa drew 403,732 fans during 65 regular season openings in 2014, according to Texas League figures. That places the Drillers fourth among all Double-A teams, and the highest of any Double-A team seeking a new affiliation.

The Drillers will remain in the Texas League and play the same opponents.

The Dodgers were the one of four potential options for the Drillers. They could have re-signed with the Rockies, or partnered with the Arizona Diamondbacks or the Minnesota Twins.

The Chattanooga Lookouts have been the Dodgers' Double-A team since 2009. They finished 61-77 on the season, but won the Southern League North Division second half title and reached the league championship series before being swept.

An intriguing name for Drillers fans to watch for next season will be Julio Urias, the talented 18-year-old phenom pitcher from Mexico. He pitched at High-A Rancho Cucamonga this season and posted a 2-2 record with a 2.36 ERA. Urias struck out 109 batters in 87 and two-thirds innings, and pitched in the MLB Futures Game.

The Dodgers also will reportedly announce the Oklahoma City Redhawks as their Triple-A affiliate, giving them an easy commute for players, scouts, and executives.

Today's announcements would mean the Drillers and Redhawks are affiliated with the same parent club for the first time since the Texas Rangers moved their Double-A affiliation to Frisco following the 2002 season.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 03:29:50 pm »

Tulsa attendance is slightly higher than OKC and a newer/better stadium.

Why not jump to AAA?
davideinstein
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 04:28:00 pm »

I prefer AA. Better young prospects over a season.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 08:04:24 pm »

I prefer AA. Better young prospects over a season.

I agree. AAA is a place for the guys who are almost good enough. AA is for the guys who are going to be studs.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Laramie
City Father

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 10:14:43 pm »

Tulsa attendance is slightly higher than OKC and a newer/better stadium.

Why not jump to AAA?

The new ONEOK Park should be attractive as a triple-A affiliate.   Tulsa and Oklahoma City deserves to be in the same league...

This view of the skyline from right field is just awesome.

ONEOK Park, Tulsa (Capacity:  7,833) opened 2010 Cost:  $39.2 million
Left Field:  330  Center Field: 400   Right Field:  307  Texas League Attendance Average - 6,211
Tulsa's elevation above sea level: 740 feet

Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark, OKC (Capacity: 13,066)  opened 1992 Cost:  $32 million
Left Field:  325  Center Field:  400   Right Field:  325  2014: PCL Attendance average - 6,045
Oklahoma City's elevation above sea level:  1,334 feet

One reason the Dodgers might be ending a long tradition with Albuquerque is it will be easier to evaluate their top prospects at Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark compared to Albuquerque, located 5,300 feet above sea level...  ...The Dodger organization feels the thin air of Albuquerque (elevation over 5,000 feet) makes it difficult to accurately assess their prospects.

The Los Angeles Dodgers' organization will place their affiliates in two of the finest minor league ballparks in the United States.

http://www.news9.com/story/26555743/sources-tulsa-drillers-to-become-los-angeles-dodgers-affiliate

Dodgers move triple-A to Oklahoma City, double-A to Tulsa

http://www.latimes.com/sports/dodgers/dodgersnow/la-sp-dn-triple-a-to-oklahoma-city-20140917-story.html
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 10:25:47 pm by Laramie » Logged

“Think for yourself and let others enjoy the privilege of doing so too.” ― Voltaire
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 12:27:46 am »

I agree. AAA is a place for the guys who are almost good enough. AA is for the guys who are going to be studs.

Dem Bums are coming? I'm okay with that. As for choice, I think it depends on what you want to see. I prefer AAA as the national exposure is better, more likely to see MLB players.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 08:07:40 am »

I'd prefer AAA because you get to play against teams from actual cities, not small towns and suburbs.  I think they get more rehab assignments from major leaguers than AA.  I might be wrong but either way, I want a AAA club for Tulsa and a regular season rivalry with OKC.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org