A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 08:09:15 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Have a Teen Getting Ready for College?  (Read 6151 times)
guido911
T-Town Elder

« on: September 15, 2014, 03:35:29 pm »

Here's a list of courses at schools that may help with choosing where to send them... Grin

http://buzzpo.com/11-riculous-liberal-courses-ivy-league/

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 03:57:52 pm »

Here's a list of courses at schools that may help with choosing where to send them... Grin

http://buzzpo.com/11-riculous-liberal-courses-ivy-league/

"Steer" them to something technical!!  

Oh...almost forgot...it's Groucho!!

« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 04:03:49 pm by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 05:19:23 pm »

You miss the point of a liberal arts class.

While these might be worthless classes, they might also be very valuable classes. I don't think you can judge based on a blogger's list of stuff he thought was stupid.

If taught well, each of these topics would force the student to participate in class, do independent research, work as a team to give presentations, develop a paper showing critical thought, and get it all done by a deadline.

These all can develop valuable skills in the future leaders of our country.

While a complete class load of these topics would be unadvised, an occasional class like this be very helpful.

Power is nothing till you use it.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 06:39:36 pm »

You miss the point of a liberal arts class.

While these might be worthless classes, they might also be very valuable classes. I don't think you can judge based on a blogger's list of stuff he thought was stupid.

If taught well, each of these topics would force the student to participate in class, do independent research, work as a team to give presentations, develop a paper showing critical thought, and get it all done by a deadline.

These all can develop valuable skills in the future leaders of our country.

While a complete class load of these topics would be unadvised, an occasional class like this be very helpful.

First of all, take it for the humor value. That's what I did. I am not going to flush Brown or Harvard because of these (in my opinion) DUMB classes. Second, did you take any of these classes in undergrad? I do not even remember them being available/offered. I'd like to know how many in the forum took these sorts of classes, and if so did it prepare them for getting a job?   

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 09:17:58 pm »

First of all, take it for the humor value. That's what I did. I am not going to flush Brown or Harvard because of these (in my opinion) DUMB classes. Second, did you take any of these classes in undergrad? I do not even remember them being available/offered. I'd like to know how many in the forum took these sorts of classes, and if so did it prepare them for getting a job?   

Took philosophy.... that was great for engineering.  I can wax philosophical about programming languages.

Liberal arts classes like those and others will certainly allow for the development of a more well rounded personality.  Something sorely missing in our sound bite society now.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 09:21:44 pm »

My daughter is a freshman going to one of those evil back east elitist liberal arts schools. Worse yet, she wants to major in Philosophy.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 09:27:04 pm »

My daughter is a freshman going to one of those evil back east elitist liberal arts schools. Worse yet, she wants to major in Philosophy.

Just gotta ask....what is she gonna do for a living?   (Many years ago, had a friend who got the whole thing in philosophy - through PhD.  Didn't work in the field....)

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 09:53:52 pm »

Just gotta ask....what is she gonna do for a living?   (Many years ago, had a friend who got the whole thing in philosophy - through PhD.  Didn't work in the field....)

Guid will love this.

Law School.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 11:37:01 pm »

Guid will love this.

Law School.

Great degree for bar tending and community organizing as well.  Smiley

On the serious side, I'm grateful to hear she’s getting a great shot at a great education and you and Mrs. Swake have done a great job getting her there.  I’m just thankful I only have a few months left until I get a really large raise. 

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2014, 06:25:15 am »

I’m just thankful I only have a few months left until I get a really large raise. 

That's what my father thought too when my sister (youngest of us 3 kids) graduated from OU.  Good Luck.

Cheesy

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2014, 07:44:29 am »

Guid will love this.

Law School.

There is a fantastic path through that maze if she went technical... get an engineering degree at BS level, then go to law school - become a patent lawyer!!

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2014, 07:58:33 am »

There is a fantastic path through that maze if she went technical... get an engineering degree at BS level, then go to law school - become a patent lawyer!!

Yes, I have heard about that, lots of MBAs these days have an undergrad in Philosophy too. We will see what she thinks next year when she can declare a major.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2014, 07:59:01 am »

Great degree for bar tending and community organizing as well.  Smiley

On the serious side, I'm grateful to hear she’s getting a great shot at a great education and you and Mrs. Swake have done a great job getting her there.  I’m just thankful I only have a few months left until I get a really large raise. 

Congratulations to you on that. Who pays for grad school?
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2014, 08:26:18 am »

Congratulations to you on that. Who pays for grad school?

She’s shown no interest.  She’s got a couple of potential leads for jobs at this point.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2014, 09:18:37 am »

She’s shown no interest.  She’s got a couple of potential leads for jobs at this point.

Good for her. It's tough out there for new grads right now.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org