A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:46:09 am
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: McBirney Mansion  (Read 31810 times)
janle
Citizen

« Reply #75 on: February 09, 2007, 11:56:54 am »

My neighborhood sent out an invitation to to an open house at the mansion last night. Did anyone go?

"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding."
Albert Einstein
janle
Citizen

« Reply #76 on: February 09, 2007, 12:10:50 pm »

My neighborhood sent out an invitation to an open house last night at the mansion.
Did any of you get one? Did you go?

Albert Einstein
janle
Citizen

« Reply #77 on: February 09, 2007, 12:20:23 pm »

Guess I need to learn where to look.  Too much coffee .

Albert Einstein
Monnie
« Reply #78 on: March 04, 2007, 12:02:51 pm »

I am from Memphis, Tennessee and our family home is a boutique hotel on Beale Street. The way it has been done only adds to the beauty of the area and has really boosted the restoration of the community. If you want to see one that has been tastefully and successfully done check out the Hunt Phelan Inn in Memphis.
perspicuity85
« Reply #79 on: September 20, 2007, 03:11:42 am »

What eventually became of this issue?
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #80 on: September 20, 2007, 09:23:38 am »

The Mansion has changed hands and the development is still planned but scaled back.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #81 on: September 20, 2007, 09:34:44 am »

quote:
Originally posted by carltonplace

The Mansion has changed hands and the development is still planned but scaled back.

Do you have scaled back plans?
booWorld
« Reply #82 on: September 20, 2007, 04:31:30 pm »

I hope the plans are scaled back to respect the conservation easement.  Otherwise, it will be interesting to see how the City of Tulsa and the State Historic Preservation Office respond.

My property, which is 3 blocks from the McBirney Mansion, was re-zoned against my wishes to a much lesser exclusively residential density.  So it would be very disappointing and very unfair if the City decides to drop the conservation easement and to allow a McBirney McMansion hotel to be built in a residential district.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #83 on: September 20, 2007, 09:58:02 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by carltonplace

Aaah very interesting. I was wondering what happened with all of that. I liked the way the old plan looked but am glad they were able to consider making it smaller. I think that could help with a lot of the neighbors concerns.  This will give people visiting Tulsa yet another quality, unique, option stay at.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #84 on: September 21, 2007, 10:18:16 am »

The feeling I get from the developer is that they are genuinely concerned about the mansion, the preservation of it and the springs, and with being a good neighbor. I've actually changed my mind from being staunchly opposed to laissez faire.
booWorld
« Reply #85 on: September 21, 2007, 05:52:51 pm »

Toying with the conservation easement is not being a good neighbor.  The residents of Riverview have counted on that conservation easement to be enforced.  They haven't counted on a hotel development in a residential district which is not zoned for commercial infill.

The developers knew about the easement before they purchased the property.  It's not fair for them to expect the neighborhood to readily accept a change in the rules.  The word "perpetuity" means something.  It does not mean thirty years.

Riverview deserves predictable planning and zoning.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #86 on: September 11, 2014, 08:55:13 am »

The McBirney Mansion is again a private residence
A Tulsa estate known for its stunning views of the Arkansas River and a natural spring on site has new owners.
Tulsans Gentner and Wendy Drummond plan to restore the McBirney Mansion to its original grandeur. The historic residence will become the setting for local philanthropic parties and events.
Commissioned by Tulsa banker James H.
McBirney in 1927, architect John Long modeled the famous mansion in the Gothic Tudor style, popular in the United Kingdom in the mid- to late 19th century. When the home was complete, it served as a private residence for the McBirney family. The McBirneys hosted such notable figures as the famous aviator Amelia Earhart, who was a family friend.
The property falls under a preservation easement overseen by the Tulsa Preservation Commission and the State Historic Preservation Review Board. That means any changes must be reviewed and approved by the organizations, and the home can’t be torn down and new buildings erected without approval, says Amanda DeCort, preservation planner for the City of Tulsa.
“The McBirney House is such an iconic structure,” DeCort says. “The preservation easement ensures that future generations of Tulsans will continue to be able to enjoy a view of the historic property from Riverside Drive.”
DeCort adds that she hopes the new owners will recognize the significance of the property and keep it in fine repair. It seems they plan to do so.
Renovations have started at the property, which will be the Drummonds’ primary Tulsa residence, according to Wendy Drummond. Updates will include new air conditioning, a new roof and transforming the residence from a commercial property into a family home. The nearly 3-acre grounds also will receive a facelift with restoration to the spring-fed ponds and a terraced rose garden.
“Once we are finished, we look forward to hosting many events in our home for our family and friends and to benefit Tulsa’s many wonderful nonprofits,” Wendy says. “We anticipate many future generations of Drummonds enjoying one of Oklahoma’s treasures.”
Born in Ireland, the home’s original owner, James McBirney, traveled from Kansas to Tulsa to work as a bookkeeper for the Tulsa Banking Co., eventually becoming the bank’s vice president.
He was an avid sportsman and was a pitcher for Tulsa’s first baseball team, known simply as “Tulsa.” He traveled frequently across the Arkansas River to court Miss Vera Clinton of Red Fork. The two married in 1901.
The McBirney family owned the home until 1975, when it was purchased by local philanthropists Roger and Donna Hardesty, who in turn sold the mansion to the law firm of Doyle, Holmes, Gasaway and Green. The historic estate also served as a bed and breakfast inn during the late 1990s and in recent years, when it became a popular event venue.
Located in the Childers Heights addition, the McBirney Mansion was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #87 on: September 11, 2014, 11:15:55 am »

The McBirney Mansion is again a private residence

That's great.  I hope it all goes smoothly for them.
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #88 on: September 11, 2014, 02:26:09 pm »

Resurrecting a topic dormant for more than 7 years.
Well done!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org