A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 04:13:35 pm
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Tulsa Roughnecks soccer logo for 2015 at ONEOK Park  (Read 71428 times)
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #105 on: March 29, 2015, 12:06:31 pm »

Much like Reasor's is the closest big box grocery at 15th and Lewis,  the Home Depot has become the defacto north side lumber/hardware store. They have suffered in service, product quality and diversity of products since opening. They offer main stream suburban style to midtown customers who own 100 year old homes. Nonetheless, they will survive because of their proximity to the interdispersal loop and lack of competition.

No offense to suburbans. Its just that our homes don't have the same needs and look silly with Tuscan decorating and cheap wood products.

onward...through the fog
TeeDub
« Reply #106 on: March 29, 2015, 06:11:30 pm »

Isn't it a better use to use the Drillers stadium rather than have two stadiums that only get used a fraction of the time?

It obviously worked the first time.
davideinstein
« Reply #107 on: March 29, 2015, 08:15:14 pm »

Isn't it a better use to use the Drillers stadium rather than have two stadiums that only get used a fraction of the time?

It obviously worked the first time.

No. The views are terrible for soccer matches. You'll build sales and a potential MLS bid with a soccer specific stadium.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #108 on: March 29, 2015, 08:32:11 pm »

No. The views are terrible for soccer matches. You'll build sales and a potential MLS bid with a soccer specific stadium.

Soccer stadium could also host football games instead of TU's stadium being the defacto host for such events.
TeeDub
« Reply #109 on: March 29, 2015, 08:55:55 pm »

Soccer stadium could also host football games instead of TU's stadium being the defacto host for such events.

It just seems silly to build another stadium when we have so many underutilized ones already.   I guess as long as it isn't built with tax dollars....
davideinstein
« Reply #110 on: March 30, 2015, 07:19:56 am »

It just seems silly to build another stadium when we have so many underutilized ones already.   I guess as long as it isn't built with tax dollars....

I'd be alright with Old Drillers Stadium being made into a soccer specific stadium like they did with the baseball park in Portland for the Timbers.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #111 on: March 30, 2015, 09:01:58 am »

I'd be alright with Old Drillers Stadium being made into a soccer specific stadium like they did with the baseball park in Portland for the Timbers.

That would make fantastic sense.  The land exists, the parking exists, the cost to reconfigure the pitch would be minimal in comparison.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #112 on: March 30, 2015, 09:13:10 am »

They could move the stands at Drillers to be on opposite sides instead of corner....
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #113 on: March 30, 2015, 09:17:04 am »

what happens to the Tulsa Athletics if the Roughnecks take over Old Driller's?
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #114 on: March 30, 2015, 10:28:32 am »

what happens to the Tulsa Athletics if the Roughnecks take over Old Driller's?

I'm pretty sure that for at least one poster here, heads would asplode...

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #115 on: March 30, 2015, 11:05:32 am »

They could move the stands at Drillers to be on opposite sides instead of corner....

That sounds like a major reconfiguration and extraordinarily expensive.  Once you're talking that amount of money, a soccer specific stadium downtown makes more sense.  It would have a full time soccer team (MLS hopefully) and can host high school games of the week, permanent home for Jenks-Union, outdoor concert venue (Dallas' MLS stadium is configured for this), and can host other outdoor activities.  The key, of course, is an MLS bid.  It would need to be downtown, in my opinion, in furtherance of the ongoing momentum that is making downtown Tulsa a vibrant place.

I think that having them play at Oneok Field makes a lot of sense for now while we try to prove that professional soccer can be successful.  If attendance can stay high, it will support a possible MLS bid.  If we get the bid, the team can continue playing at Oneok field until the soccer stadium is built.  If we are destined to be USL long term, it still makes sense to stay in Oneok field if they can make it work and continue working towards a soccer stadium, even if scaled down from what would otherwise be required for MLS.

Final comment to see if anyone knows anything about this.  I read that the sightlines could be improved if they could lower the pichers mound for soccer, but that there is a cost associated with it.  Is that true, and if so, do you think the Drillers management would consider the investment for next season if attendance is strong this year?
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #116 on: March 30, 2015, 12:17:56 pm »

That sounds like a major reconfiguration and extraordinarily expensive.  

Not really, they are just metal bleachers that can be disassembled and moved. Although maybe the race track is a better idea.

Final comment to see if anyone knows anything about this.  I read that the sightlines could be improved if they could lower the pichers mound for soccer, but that there is a cost associated with it.  Is that true, and if so, do you think the Drillers management would consider the investment for next season if attendance is strong this year?

Drillers Management is the same people as Roughnecks Management.
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #117 on: March 30, 2015, 01:14:34 pm »

Drillers Management is the same people as Roughnecks Management.

I know, which is why it would make sense to spend whatever money is necessary to improve the sightlines, assuming attendance is strong enough to justify the cost.
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #118 on: March 30, 2015, 01:22:05 pm »

We need to think inside the box, the big box. Put it where Home Depot is. Get that monstrosity out of downtown.

Great idea! Bulldoze something that has been generating sales tax revenue for twenty years in favor of a multi-million dollar soccer stadium that will have infrequent use and generate less tax revenue. Brilliant!  Roll Eyes
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #119 on: March 30, 2015, 03:24:45 pm »

The lot south of McNellie's, east of Joe Mommas, would be a great spot for a stadium, but I think I've read on this forum that the owner doesn't want to sell or develop.  No idea if that's true.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org