A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:10:39 am
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Tulsa Roughnecks soccer logo for 2015 at ONEOK Park  (Read 70709 times)
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2014, 09:56:25 am »

I like the logo.  Who cares if it resembles the hockey team from OKC?  Both are oil themed.  The Roughnecks one looks better than the OKC one for sure anyway.
rdj
City Father

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2014, 12:24:34 pm »

The University of Tulsa, Oral Roberts University, Tulsa Drillers, and the Tulsa Oilers hockey team all use the same shade of the color blue. The Tulsa 66er's used the same blue and orange used by the Roughnecks and the OKC Thunder.

If you are upset with teams using the same colors, you are probably going to stay upset.

In Pittsburgh, all the sports teams, Pirates, Steelers, Penguins, use the same two colors. It makes it easier for fans to color-coordinate.

Do you struggle with shades of color?  ORU uses navy blue, Pantone 282.  TU uses royal blue, Pantone 288.  Drillers use Slate Blue, Pantone 653C.  Oilers don't publish their Pantone, but it is a navy blue so I'll give you that it is similar to ORU.  But to see TU athletics and ORU athletics side by side will show their colors are not the same shade of blue.

Tulsa 66'ers were navy, blue, red & yellow.  No orange.

I don't like the Tulsa soccer team funded by OKC folks to have a similar brand identity to OKC area teams.  To make the crest so obviously similar to the Barons and then select a very similar color scheme to the Thunder is insulting to me as a Tulsa sports fan.

I will say I'm a big fan of the OKC Energy Football Club's crest:

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2014, 12:44:12 pm »

Was there any reason that Tulsa folks couldn't come up with the funds to buy a USL Pro franchise or to get an NASL team?  One of the biggest complaints I have about living in Tulsa is there seems to be very little motivation to improve our sports franchises.  Baseball seems content being in AA with a bunch of Texas suburbs, Springfield Missouri, and Rogers Arkansas instead of AAA, which is in pretty much every major market without MLB.  The hockey team is barely promoted and also is in the equivalent of AA with Texas suburbs and other small markets.  We lost arena football and D-league basketball.  All we have to hang our hat on is the WNBA which has no guarantee of long term success or sustainability.  It's as if no one wants us to move up and its annoying.  I wish I had the money to make things happen around here sportswise. 
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2014, 12:59:13 pm »

Was there any reason that Tulsa folks couldn't come up with the funds to buy a USL Pro franchise or to get an NASL team?  One of the biggest complaints I have about living in Tulsa is there seems to be very little motivation to improve our sports franchises.  Baseball seems content being in AA with a bunch of Texas suburbs, Springfield Missouri, and Rogers Arkansas instead of AAA, which is in pretty much every major market without MLB.  The hockey team is barely promoted and also is in the equivalent of AA with Texas suburbs and other small markets.  We lost arena football and D-league basketball.  All we have to hang our hat on is the WNBA which has no guarantee of long term success or sustainability.  It's as if no one wants us to move up and its annoying.  I wish I had the money to make things happen around here sportswise. 

I believe the Tulsa Oilers baseball team was AAA.  Why we never regained that status is beyond me. 

For being an AA team, Tulsa has been a waypoint for some MLB players who have had solid careers: Sammy Sosa, Dean Palmer, Bobby Witt, Ivan Rodriguez, Matt Holliday, Jason Giambi, Juan Gonzales, and others.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2014, 01:16:30 pm »

I believe the Tulsa Oilers baseball team was AAA.  Why we never regained that status is beyond me.  

For being an AA team, Tulsa has been a waypoint for some MLB players who have had solid careers: Sammy Sosa, Dean Palmer, Bobby Witt, Ivan Rodriguez, Matt Holliday, Jason Giambi, Juan Gonzales, and others.

Typically AA teams have the better players who are closer to the show.  It's been my experience that many of the players in AAA are either lifetime minor leaguers or they are on their way down from the majors later in life that don't want to let it go.  It may or may not still be like this.

And on a semi-related note, the 25th anniversary of Pete Rose's ban from baseball was yesterday.  I think for someone whose only transgression was betting on his own team to win (as opposed to some players who get a pass for using PEDs which in my opinion is more heinous than what Pete did) it's time for the oligarchy in baseball to let up and allow the greatest ambassador of the game back in and take his rightful place in the HOF.

I understand the reasoning for what the commish did at the time (basing the decision off the Black Sox scandal), but the BlackSox incident involved players losing to throw the series for monetary gain.  Kinda hard to correlate the two if Pete was betting on his team winning.

#reinstatepete (yes, i know hashtags don't work here).

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2014, 01:46:20 pm »

Tulsa 66'ers were navy, blue, red & yellow.  No orange.

What color is this?

http://www.nba.com/dleague/tulsa/index_home.html

« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 01:49:26 pm by RecycleMichael » Logged

Power is nothing till you use it.
puckbag
Citizen

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2014, 02:59:56 pm »

It's all unfortunate and totally predictable. There's an endless line of uncreative/non-unique sports brands, especially in the minor leagues where margins are tight and budgets are low.

This obviously "borrowed" the Barons look. The Barons took the look from their parent team, the Edmonton Oilers. The Tulsa Oilers used to be Blue and Orange at and for a while after the '92 re-birth. The Edmonton Oilers were already Blue and Orange. The Drillers were called the Oilers at one time. OKC Thunder? Many sports fans in the region knew of the Wichita Thunder since the 90's.

I do appreciate that the Tulsa Athletics broke from the Oil theme. I wish they'd chosen different colors though since the Oakland Athletics are of course: Green & Yellow. And, being a euro-snob myself, I'd have gone with a "Tulsa Athletic Club" sort of name, made it member owned, branched out to other sports... oops, I went to far.  Cheesy
rdj
City Father

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2014, 04:12:59 pm »

According to the most recent media guide online it would be 66'ers Red, Pantone 1788C.

TulsaRufnex
Soccer Curmudgeon
Philanthropist

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2014, 08:50:35 pm »

The color of a team moving to OKC next season?

“Critics are like eunuchs in a harem; they know how it's done, they've seen it done every day, but they're unable to do it themselves.”
― Brendan Behan  http://www.TulsaRoughnecks.com
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2014, 08:59:23 am »

The color of a team moving to OKC next season?

So they're just called the 66ers? Not Oklahoma "City" 66ers?

And no. Tulsa does not and will not support any professional sport that starts up or moves here. But we will rush right out and support College(sort of)High School Football(Mainly)every season.
I'm still bitter over the whole Oklahoma Outlaws fiasco. Super Bowl Quarterback. Pro Bowl receiver and a fantastic NFL running back and still could not sustain them staying here till the League folded.
When the Roughnecks won the Soccer Bowl. I'm still not sure if half of Tulsa's population even knew what the Soccer Bowl was or even that we had a team.
But let the PBR roll into town, BY GAWD!(Roy D) Yee Haw Paw we gotta go! Sorry guy's. That's not a sport. It's a skill. Get over it.

So the best we got. Is arguing over the colors of a crappy logo for a team by a business firm from OKC rubbing it in our face that we probably won't support anyway. Hey! I'll support that.  Roll Eyes

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
rdj
City Father

« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2014, 10:05:46 am »

Don't forget this town supports big golf tournaments when Southern Hills decides to pony up for them.  Ha!

I'm actually surprised at the amount of support Tulsans give the Thunder.  I believe it is because they're winning at a high level and they have a very likable superstar in Kevin Durant, even if he is a Longhorn and Redskins fan.

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2014, 10:30:03 am »

I like the Thunder, but am not gaga.

I wish they had kept their promise to be called the Oklahoma Thunder and not Oklahoma City Thunder. They got millions in state tax breaks, then changed their mind.

I cheer for all teams in Oklahoma especially whenever they play teams in Texas.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2014, 12:31:04 pm »

I like the Thunder, but am not gaga.

I’ve met Lady Gaga.  You sir are no Gaga.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2014, 01:49:33 pm »

I want to own a dance club that plays all Goo Goo Dolls and Lady Gaga music.

I am calling it "Goo Goo GaGa a Go-Go"

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2014, 02:41:57 pm »

I want to own a dance club that plays all Goo Goo Dolls and Lady Gaga music.

I am calling it "Goo Goo GaGa a Go-Go"

I bet you could get Steve Kitchell to bite on that one.... Wink

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org