A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:22:27 am
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Tulsa Roughnecks soccer logo for 2015 at ONEOK Park  (Read 71444 times)
TulsaRufnex
Soccer Curmudgeon
Philanthropist

« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2014, 05:59:16 pm »

When are the Athletics moving to the NASL?  I like games at the old park.  The field can be bigger because it doesn't have to accommodate baseball.

If it doesn't happen, you can thank the Drillers and their sugar-daddies in OKC.
http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/soccer/tulsa-athletics-officials-in-discussions-with-nasl-for-pro-soccer/article_516c8411-c551-5d95-b8d2-7e7f13be80cb.html

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdM33Cq67Ro[/youtube]

And if the OKC group who owns half of these fake-Roughnecks gets an MLS team (their stated goal), guess who they turn into their minor league affiliate?
The "Roughnecks" -- become the OKC Energy's farm club....
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 06:23:21 pm by TulsaRufnex » Logged

“Critics are like eunuchs in a harem; they know how it's done, they've seen it done every day, but they're unable to do it themselves.”
― Brendan Behan  http://www.TulsaRoughnecks.com
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2014, 07:03:20 pm »

If it doesn't happen, you can thank the Drillers and their sugar-daddies in OKC.

You are sure bitter. It is no surprise that you believe if you fail it is all someone else's fault.

Just worry about your team. 

Power is nothing till you use it.
TulsaRufnex
Soccer Curmudgeon
Philanthropist

« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2014, 07:31:02 pm »

If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.

“Critics are like eunuchs in a harem; they know how it's done, they've seen it done every day, but they're unable to do it themselves.”
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2014, 04:52:33 am »

Let's recap...

You push for a local soccer team on this forum for many years. So do many other people. Then two different groups move forward and create two different teams.

You decide to hate one of the teams. You spend every post you can trying to undermine the other team in every way including that they have some investors from another city in Oklahoma or have a team logo that looks to you like someone else's logo.

Then you make it sound like it is a moral crusade to hate the other team and bash others who do not share your view.

DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2014, 07:46:56 am »

Rufnex. Is there a reason that your team are the Athletics and not the Roughnecks? You certainly have the passion of someone who truly loved Tulsa's team of the past. Your team I believe came first on the scene. So I would figure with the name available (or maybe not) that it would be a no brainer to keep the logo and history right here under local leadership and people who genuinely care.
Now I have no knowledge of Trademark Law or any idea what it takes to bring back fond memories with a business or franchise. But I loved the Roughnecks of the past and I totally understand where your passion is coming from.
So other than built in immediate ticket sales for this new venture. I see no need for them to be called the Roughnecks if they are wanting a whole new logo and colors. What will be sad is when they dig deep in their pockets and trot out our beloved former players wearing this new gawd awful logo and colors for meet and greet autograph day at the stadium.

As a side note. The Daughter of my Boss works for EMSA and was at one of the Athletics games. She said that it was a blast and could not have ever imagined a soccer game being so exciting. But of course buffed up and toned men running around in shorts sweating probably had nothing to do with her opinion. lol

P.S. This whole Logo nostalgia thing reminds me of a restaurant on South Lewis trying to cash in on memories. Looks to be kind of a struggle.  Grin

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2014, 08:20:33 am »

And if the OKC group who owns half of these fake-Roughnecks gets an MLS team (their stated goal), guess who they turn into their minor league affiliate?
The "Roughnecks" -- become the OKC Energy's farm club....

I don't buy into the rest of the crazy, but this genuinely concerns me.  It would concern me either way though because OKC has had the jump on us in sports and overall development for at least 20 years now.  I've already read about them being miles ahead on trying to get a soccer specific stadium with real plans and financial backing.  All I've seen around here is talk.  If this state is getting MLS, it's going to OKC no matter what in my opinion.  Pro sports in Tulsa just doesn't seem to have the monetary fire power to make things happen.  The second the Thunder starting winning games and selling out consistently, we officially fell into the back seat.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2014, 12:34:33 pm »

I don't buy into the rest of the crazy, but this genuinely concerns me.  It would concern me either way though because OKC has had the jump on us in sports and overall development for at least 20 years now.  I've already read about them being miles ahead on trying to get a soccer specific stadium with real plans and financial backing.  All I've seen around here is talk.  If this state is getting MLS, it's going to OKC no matter what in my opinion.  Pro sports in Tulsa just doesn't seem to have the monetary fire power to make things happen.  The second the Thunder starting winning games and selling out consistently, we officially fell into the back seat.

I would assume that once a state gets a pro team, whatever city that team is in will naturally get the remaining pro franchises, until that particular market meets some form of saturation.

It seems like simple business.  A pro team is not just about the team, or the fans.  It's about the economy that gets built around that team.  Many of the businesses that become part of an economy with a professional sports franchise require the ability to serve multiple franchises/teams/sports to grow, and the teams require the continued growth of that business infrastructure.  So again, I would assume, that when a franchise is looking to locate in a market, they are looking for many of those vital services to already exist and display a track record of sustainability.

If you are a professional soccer franchise and you are considering Tulsa and Oklahoma City, which one displays the infrastructure, and economy necessary to support your team?  Which one offers a track record of success in supporting, promoting, and growing other professional franchises?

I hate to say it, but it looks like Tulsa was late to the party and the cake is all gone.  We do however, have an excellent track record for farm teams.  Lots of great athletes have come through Tulsa, unfortunately they have, on their way somewhere else.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
TulsaRufnex
Soccer Curmudgeon
Philanthropist

« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2014, 01:34:03 am »

You are sure bitter. It is no surprise that you believe if you fail it is all someone else's fault.

Just worry about your team. 

The truth will come out.
And I will help.

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2014, 06:28:07 am »

I knew you were a truther.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2014, 07:31:02 am »

Let's recap...

You push for a local soccer team on this forum for many years. So do many other people. Then two different groups move forward and create two different teams.

You decide to hate one of the teams. You spend every post you can trying to undermine the other team in every way including that they have some investors from another city in Oklahoma or have a team logo that looks to you like someone else's logo.

Then you make it sound like it is a moral crusade to hate the other team and bash others who do not share your view.

He is a soccer fan...haven't you been watching soccer with the rest of the country and seen how soccer fans are??  What you describe is pretty much it.... 'bout like OU fans.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2014, 08:12:14 am »

He is a soccer fan...haven't you been watching soccer with the rest of the country and seen how soccer fans are??  What you describe is pretty much it.... 'bout like OU fans.

I'm sorry but I have seen out of control fans. And "We" OU fans are not it. I could start a whole new topic on rabid fans. i.e. LSU, Miami, Florida State etc. etc.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2014, 09:28:22 am »

I'm sorry but I have seen out of control fans. And "We" OU fans are not it. I could start a whole new topic on rabid fans. i.e. LSU, Miami, Florida State etc. etc.

ANY (and all) Florida team fan!!  (I dislike all Florida college teams if it was not obvious before.  Can tolerate the Dophins ok.)

I just gotta take a little poke at OU once in a while - I work with a lot of people who went there (God bless their poor deluded minds....) and they are good people.  OU isn't all that bad these days, since David Boren took over and fixed so many of their previous problems.  Get to spend a fair amount of time in the area and have been thinking about getting another degree....mechanical engineer - it would be really easy, since it's really just a subset of what I already had in school, just different buildings....

Also, need to poke soccer fans just a little bit, too.  I enjoy watching it from time to time, but just can't let an opportunity like that go by.  Rufnex takes himself way to seriously at times - it's that enthusiasm of youth thing....

« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 09:30:28 am by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2014, 10:15:32 am »

You are absolutely right about Florida fans. I became a Dolphins fan because of Don Shula, Earl Morrall and Howard Twilley.
Johnny Unitas was my childhood Football hero. He was traded to the San Diego Chargers his final season and Don Shula took Earl to South Beach. Howard was a TU grad with a local shoe business. And a friend of my Sister took me to meet him. He signed a big Black and White poster for me and from that day on. I was hooked on the Miami Dolphins. 1971 till now. I wish I knew where that poster was. I would have had it matted and framed and still displayed to this day.

Years ago I stayed with some friends in Ft Lauderdale. At one of the Dolphins game. My buddy stood up and yelled at the people in our section that I had traveled all the way from Oklahoma to watch the Dolphins play at home. They started screaming. You cheat in Oklahoma! You guy's this and that! I couldn't believe it and neither could they. I have always said I hate the Miami fans on Saturday and love em on Sunday.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2014, 11:36:15 am »

Haha..I guess for me, the epitome of dumbass fans was the several trips friends and I would take down the turnpike to watch the Oiler/Blazers games.  I got challenged to a fight in the concourse trying to order an onion burger with my then-girlfriend in tow...for both of us wearing an Oiler jersey.  This guy was about as big as a popcorn fart and drunk as all hell.  Wasn't worth my time and his friends quickly corrected him and apologized.

In Wichita, Oiler fans used to get their tires slashed...so some of the Oiler fans had Kansas tags they'd put on when they got parked, because having an Oklahoma tag almost guaranteed a cut tire back in the day.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2014, 11:49:28 am »

OMG Hoss. I forgot about Blazer fans. Geez they took those games personal. Thanks for the flashback.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org