A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:27:41 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Labor Day  (Read 8196 times)
Ed W
City Father

« on: September 01, 2014, 12:47:08 pm »

So many thing we take for granted - a 5 day work week, safe and sanitary conditions, and the abolition of child labor - came through the struggles of working men and women. Some lost their lives in that effort.

My grandfather arrived here just over a century ago. He worked in a company owned coal town with some friends until they cut a hole in the fence one night and escaped. Yes, the fence and guards were there to keep the workers inside.

When I'm having a rough day at work, I sometimes think about what he endured. I have it so much easier.

My heart and my thanks go out to those men and women who fought and continue fighting to make our country a better place for all.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 04:59:10 pm »

My heart and my thanks go out to those men and women who fought and continue fighting to make our country a better place for all.

You're welcome.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 07:59:32 pm »

You're welcome.

Sometimes you really don't get it, do you?

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 08:47:57 pm »

Sometimes you really don't get it, do you?

Don't pick on Guido. In his defense, I have to point out that shuffling papers is hard work. There's a good chance of getting a paper cut or something.

Ed

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 09:07:42 pm »

Don't pick on Guido. In his defense, I have to point out that shuffling papers is hard work. There's a good chance of getting a paper cut or something.

He might have been huffing white-out or something...maybe we can create some photos appropriately correlating with his obsessive use of bong photos...ooops, my bad.  Water pipe photos.

Grin

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 09:55:35 pm »

Finally, appreciation for those that truly sacrifice to make this country great.  Grin

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 10:18:15 pm »

For those of you who didn't serve in the military, think again before you condemn those who did.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2014, 10:41:27 pm »

For those of you who didn't serve in the military, think again before you condemn those who did.

Thanks to you and Guido both, Red.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2014, 11:21:02 pm »

If you were seeing condemnation then you should probably have your eyes checked. Wow. Don't think anyone here would condemn them.

However most also wouldn't trot that service out as some badge to flash around, either. I've seen people do that and have no respect for people who do serve and then condemn those who don't through no fault of their own.  I respect their (and anyone's ) service but can't tolerate someone who uses it to insult those who chose not to serve.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2014, 12:55:21 am »

Thanks to you and Guido both, Red.

Thanks. But I was making a self-deprecating joke in responding to this thread. Had nothing to do with the military. I thought the "fighting" Ed remarked about was the labor movement, which I was not part of.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 12:58:17 am by guido911 » Logged

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2014, 04:52:59 am »

Huh....interesting....now I am wondering just what kind of English is taught in PA to read that into anything said here??

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2014, 07:29:51 am »

Perhaps instead of "fighting to make our country a better place" I could have substituted struggled or worked tirelessly. I'd already used struggled above and I don't like to use the same word repeatedly.

Also, despite what Guido read into it, my thanks are not limited to those who began the organized labor movement or those who continue in that effort. Rather, that would include everyone who works - regardless of the type of work - believing that by doing so, they make a better place for themselves, their families, and their community. Sure, we need high tech workers, automobile mechanics, doctors, even lawyers, but at the same time somebody has to collect the trash and clean the restrooms. I couldn't do Guido's job (though there's a ripe opportunity for a lawyer joke here, I'll refrain this time) and I'm certain he couldn't do mine. And that guy down the hall with a mop in his hands makes it possible for me or Guido to do our jobs in a better work environment. I wouldn't want his job but I can't do mine as easily without him. So even that man or woman with a mop or broom contributes to making our world better.

Ed

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2014, 07:31:29 am »

Huh....interesting....now I am wondering just what kind of English is taught in PA to read that into anything said here??

"Red State English"?

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2014, 08:19:35 am »

Perhaps instead of "fighting to make our country a better place" I could have substituted struggled or worked tirelessly. I'd already used struggled above and I don't like to use the same word repeatedly.

Also, despite what Guido read into it, my thanks are not limited to those who began the organized labor movement or those who continue in that effort. Rather, that would include everyone who works - regardless of the type of work - believing that by doing so, they make a better place for themselves, their families, and their community. Sure, we need high tech workers, automobile mechanics, doctors, even lawyers, but at the same time somebody has to collect the trash and clean the restrooms. I couldn't do Guido's job (though there's a ripe opportunity for a lawyer joke here, I'll refrain this time) and I'm certain he couldn't do mine. And that guy down the hall with a mop in his hands makes it possible for me or Guido to do our jobs in a better work environment. I wouldn't want his job but I can't do mine as easily without him. So even that man or woman with a mop or broom contributes to making our world better.

Now this is a good nominee for quote of the week....

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2014, 08:35:59 am »

I thought guido911's comment was funny.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org