A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 12:33:08 pm
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Common Core & No Child Left Behind  (Read 13054 times)
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2014, 04:04:13 pm »

Somehow we ended up with one.

Because that has been part of the plan.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2014, 04:08:33 pm »

I had an elderly relative who couldn't understand why she should pay school taxes when she didn't have any kids in school. I said that we all derive a common benefit from helping to educate other people's children, because one of them may be working on my brakes someday. He could be my doctor or dentist. Today's student may be the technician who maintains my cellular network.

There was a push back in the 30's to provide children with only those skills they'd need as adults, effectively turning the school system into a training ground for industry. Fortunately, it was never implemented because people recognized the folly of turning out students with only a narrow range of skills. Specialization works well for insects but less so for people. I think one of the other effects would lead to the development of a permanent underclass that would be under-educated and easily manipulated.

Kinda has been implemented - not overtly, but covertly.

We have lost most of the arts in public schools - probably because they have been shown to enhance learning and intellect, as well as making a well rounded person who can function much better in a complex society.  But since the desired result is the opposite of that, well, we are headed toward - if not already arrived at - the permanent underclass, under-educated, and easily manipulated.  As demonstrated so obviously by Oklahoma election results.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2014, 05:06:49 pm »

I've skimmed some reading on poverty this afternoon, noting that it fell from a high of about 21% in the 1950s to about 11-12% through the first Bush and Clinton presidencies. It climbed to 15% in 2012. The ups and down coincide with unemployment rates, though that shouldn't be a surprise.

But we all believe that education is a pathway out of poverty, yet our society places little value on it. Our state has reduced funding to a shocking extent. Frankly, I'd rather see my tax monies going toward public schools instead of bombing some third world country on the far side of the globe.

Since the 1970s, poverty level wages have remained stagnant when adjusted for inflation. The majority of the poor work in low wage jobs. It would seem the smart move would be to simply increase the minimum wage, essentially adding a tax on those businesses that rely on low wages. They wouldn't absorb the cost, of course, because they'd pass it on to consumers.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2014, 05:09:13 pm »

I've skimmed some reading on poverty this afternoon, noting that it fell from a high of about 21% in the 1950s to about 11-12% through the first Bush and Clinton presidencies. It climbed to 15% in 2012. The ups and down coincide with unemployment rates, though that shouldn't be a surprise.

But we all believe that education is a pathway out of poverty, yet our society places little value on it. Our state has reduced funding to a shocking extent. Frankly, I'd rather see my tax monies going toward public schools instead of bombing some third world country on the far side of the globe.

Since the 1970s, poverty level wages have remained stagnant when adjusted for inflation. The majority of the poor work in low wage jobs. It would seem the smart move would be to simply increase the minimum wage, essentially adding a tax on those businesses that rely on low wages. They wouldn't absorb the cost, of course, because they'd pass it on to consumers.

Keep reading that stuff - you will reach the point where it has been shown that the so-called "bad effects" of raising minimum wage don't exist.  It has always been a benefit to the economy from bottom to top.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2014, 07:28:07 pm »

It would seem the smart move would be to simply increase the minimum wage, essentially adding a tax on those businesses that rely on low wages. They wouldn't absorb the cost, of course, because they'd pass it on to consumers.

Increasing the minimum wage would have a short term beneficial effect.  As you noted, the cost would be passed on and eventually we would be in the same sinking boat except that folks on fixed income (my mom) would be even worse off due to inflation.  You are old enough to consider this a threat to your life style.  The true solution is through education to increase the skills of the "average" worker. Getting the "underclass" to understand this is the problem.  There will always be a need for someone to sweep the floor but that should not be a career.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2014, 09:41:34 pm »

Increasing the minimum wage would have a short term beneficial effect.  As you noted, the cost would be passed on and eventually we would be in the same sinking boat except that folks on fixed income (my mom) would be even worse off due to inflation.  You are old enough to consider this a threat to your life style.  The true solution is through education to increase the skills of the "average" worker. Getting the "underclass" to understand this is the problem.  There will always be a need for someone to sweep the floor but that should not be a career.

That isn't how that works....that isn't how any of this works.... and you can save money in only 7 minutes....

And we have over 70 years of experience with the truth - in spite of the RWRE lies about it.

The people who keep spreading that lie are either to intellectually lazy to go find the reality, or are intentionally lying for the agenda.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org