A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:34:20 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Common Core & No Child Left Behind  (Read 13067 times)
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2014, 06:21:11 pm »

Jindal files suit over Common Core. I do not know much about this website.

http://www.ijreview.com/2014/08/171905-gov-bobby-jindal-takes-fight-obamas-doorstep-files-lawsuit-common-core/

On the upside, it looks like common core is supported in some form by Mike Huckabee. So you pro CC people have that guy on your side.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2014, 06:47:22 pm »

Jindal files suit over Common Core. I do not know much about this website.

http://www.ijreview.com/2014/08/171905-gov-bobby-jindal-takes-fight-obamas-doorstep-files-lawsuit-common-core/

On the upside, it looks like common core is supported in some form by Mike Huckabee. So you pro CC people have that guy on your side.

And you've got Jindal on yours.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2014, 06:48:47 pm »

And you've got Jindal on yours.

I got NO problem with that. Can you say the same about Huckabee?

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2014, 10:03:22 pm »

Reason No. __ my kids will never attend public schools.

Public schools need to be fixed so you would have no reason to say that.

I went to Public schools in suburban Philadelphia, PA.  They did a good job preparing me for college.  They did not so good a job for my brother.  He went to TJC and then TU and did OK.  My sister basically repeated 8th grade in 9th grade Bixby schools.  She eventually did fine, getting a PhD in some kind of liberal arts thing.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2014, 11:17:44 pm »

Are you upset over the loss of funding, or that this state did not obediently accept common core just to get the money?

Couldn't care less about common core.  To me it's just another gimmick to try to short circuit what is proven methodology.  Like computers in the classroom of elementary schools - idiocy!  Grows a bunch of video gamers....and of course, THAT is just what we need....  

What I care about is educating kids so they can become productive members of society.  3 basics that are mandatory to learning how to learn are what people understood and taught 40, 50, 75, 100 years ago.  Reading.  Writing.  Arithmetic.  Once those are mastered, then move on to other stuff.  "Other stuff" is also naturally and rationally fit into those 3 topics.

McGuffey Reader for 3rd grade....how many high school graduates in OK today can read it with adequate comprehension?  (OH, NO!!  Articulation??  How can 3rd graders possibly be expected to understand that big a word...??)

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/14766/14766-pdf.pdf

A certain amount of editing would be required for public schools, but private schools could run with it as-is.  I have heard rumors that some are.  And I know a couple of home schooler's that are using the McGuffey series.

And Ray's took care of the math - with none of those idiotic tic-tac-toe addition drawings!  In the public domain!!  That means free to use, for the high school graduates amongst us.

https://archive.org/stream/cu31924031236627#page/n37/mode/2up

« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 11:22:09 pm by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2014, 11:20:25 pm »

Say's the A/V dude from high school...

I always wanted to do that - it looked like so much fun!!  Plus, time outside of class moving equipment around....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2014, 12:36:20 am »

Public schools need to be fixed so you would have no reason to say that.

I went to Public schools in suburban Philadelphia, PA.  They did a good job preparing me for college.  They did not so good a job for my brother.  He went to TJC and then TU and did OK.  My sister basically repeated 8th grade in 9th grade Bixby schools.  She eventually did fine, getting a PhD in some kind of liberal arts thing.

Why fix public schools? Because you and yours turned out okay? My wife and I both went to public schools too, and we turned out okay. Back then, though, they were focused on teaching and not laboratories for social engineering. I have thrown in the towel, and have zero desire to subject my kids to that nonsense. Private schools allow more input from parents, and are certainly more responsive.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2014, 12:38:22 am »

Couldn't care less about common core.  To me it's just another gimmick to try to short circuit what is proven methodology.  Like computers in the classroom of elementary schools - idiocy!  Grows a bunch of video gamers....and of course, THAT is just what we need....  

You understand you just undermined your own argument against Fallin for her opposing Common Core, right?

Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2014, 08:25:27 am »

You understand you just undermined your own argument against Fallin for her opposing Common Core, right?

Not until you just told him......

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2014, 12:03:40 pm »

Why fix public schools? Because you and yours turned out okay? My wife and I both went to public schools too, and we turned out okay. Back then, though, they were focused on teaching and not laboratories for social engineering. I have thrown in the towel, and have zero desire to subject my kids to that nonsense. Private schools allow more input from parents, and are certainly more responsive.

If we don't fix public schools, we will wind up with private schools funded with vouchers (tax money) and strings attached.  You will still have all the government interference.   As public schools go away, there will be bad private schools funded with tax money.  Bad private schools will stay in business because there will be no other place to send your kids if all the good private schools are full.  Ultimately we will end up with the same mess.

Getting back to teaching and revamping the social engineering is part of what needs to be fixed.  I say revamp rather than remove social engineering because apparently a lot of kids don't get the social values from home they need to live in society.  Private schools associated with a religion will certainly have some social agenda involved.  Whether or not that agenda is proper or evil will depend on your religion.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2014, 07:31:22 am »

Common Core is a very tiny part of why I oppose Failin'.  She is wrong on that, too, but she is even more wrong on her general approach to education.  As are most.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2014, 07:38:11 am »

Why fix public schools?

Geez....for someone who says he grew up as one of us unwashed masses, it certainly didn't take long to forget the roots.   Because not everyone can afford the $30k plus per kid to go to private school....as almost half the working people in this country make about that per year as their total compensation.   Duh...!!!

But like the European elite said..."let them eat cake"..."Qu'ils mangent de la brioche".

Elitist commentary on the condition of the working poor in Europe at the time (not Maire, as urban myth would have it), upon learning that the peasants had no bread. Since brioche was made from dough enriched with butter and eggs, making it more expensive than bread, the quote supposedly would reflect the tru obliviousness as to the condition of the people.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2014, 12:37:25 pm »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNjcuZ-LiSY[/youtube]
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2014, 01:01:09 pm »

Why fix public schools?

I had an elderly relative who couldn't understand why she should pay school taxes when she didn't have any kids in school. I said that we all derive a common benefit from helping to educate other people's children, because one of them may be working on my brakes someday. He could be my doctor or dentist. Today's student may be the technician who maintains my cellular network.

There was a push back in the 30's to provide children with only those skills they'd need as adults, effectively turning the school system into a training ground for industry. Fortunately, it was never implemented because people recognized the folly of turning out students with only a narrow range of skills. Specialization works well for insects but less so for people. I think one of the other effects would lead to the development of a permanent underclass that would be under-educated and easily manipulated.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2014, 01:57:59 pm »

I think one of the other effects would lead to the development of a permanent underclass that would be under-educated and easily manipulated.

Somehow we ended up with one.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org