A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:12:30 pm
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Common Core & No Child Left Behind  (Read 13138 times)
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« on: August 28, 2014, 09:25:54 pm »

While I understand the repeal of the third grade testing/punishment system, but Fallin and crew went ahead and repealed common core as well. While I've seen plenty of complaints on here about current school teaching methods, I've seen very few direct ties to common core itself since common core is a set of guidelines about what needs to be taught, not who teaches it or what worksheet to use. It doesn't make the teachers any better and

Now, it turns out there are consequences of repealing common core. See, we didn't have a set of standards to replace it with. Our current direction is just "do your best"

Because of this, the state of Oklahoma was declared as non-compliant with federal standards, and now the Feds will be taking control of at least a portion of all school budgets.

Boy, I'm sure glad we got rid of all that government oppression by repealing common core.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 10:01:13 pm »

While I understand the repeal of the third grade testing/punishment system, but Fallin and crew went ahead and repealed common core as well. While I've seen plenty of complaints on here about current school teaching methods, I've seen very few direct ties to common core itself since common core is a set of guidelines about what needs to be taught, not who teaches it or what worksheet to use. It doesn't make the teachers any better and

Now, it turns out there are consequences of repealing common core. See, we didn't have a set of standards to replace it with. Our current direction is just "do your best"

Because of this, the state of Oklahoma was declared as non-compliant with federal standards, and now the Feds will be taking control of at least a portion of all school budgets.

Boy, I'm sure glad we got rid of all that government oppression by repealing common core.

Reason No. __ my kids will never attend public schools.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 08:32:23 am »

Mary Failin' - living up to her name every day, in every way!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 09:36:41 am »

Mary Failin' - living up to her name every day, in every way!

As much smile as she steps in her shoes must look like this:

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 10:11:31 am »

Reason No. __ my kids will never attend public schools.

I am completely blown away by how much my kids have learned in just the past couple of weeks since we took them out of the public system.
My daughter's teacher said that she is behind but will be a good two grade levels above the public standard by the end of this semester.  She comes home excited about learning math & science, two subjects that only frustrated her before. Both kids can't wait to get to the dinner table to tell us everything about their day, and the term "best day ever!" is a common theme.

We were really worried about them starting way behind the other students who grew up in that school, but the teachers seem to really have a plan for bringing them up to speed that they are falling right into.

So, I'm at least up to reason #3 or #4 now.  Smiley
Probably won't have any money to retire on, but at least I'll have wealthy kids to support me, and keep my diaper changed. 

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 10:13:46 am »

Probably won't have any money to retire on, but at least I'll have wealthy kids to support me, and keep my diaper changed. 

You haven't been watching overall economic trends all that closely, have you?

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 11:22:43 am »

Feds Say No Waiver for Oklahoma Schools

http://publicradiotulsa.org/post/feds-say-no-waiver-oklahoma-schools

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — Federal education officials say Oklahoma's public school standards aren't sufficiently preparing students for college or careers and will pull a waiver that lets the state bypass some provisions of the No Child Left Behind Act.

The U.S. Department of Education sent a letter to the state Thursday saying that while Oklahoma had benefited from the flexibility, it couldn't justify an extension.

Assistant Education Secretary Deborah Delisle said Oklahoma had promised to carry out plans to improve education for all students. This year, however, Oklahoma overturned its Common Core standards and adopted those in place in 2010.

Delisle told Oklahoma offiicials they "can no longer demonstrate that the state's standards are college- and career-ready standards." Educators in Indiana and Kansas were granted one-year waivers Thursday, allowing them to continue state-developed programs.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 12:17:39 pm »

Ahh...just what we need - lose some Federal funding on top of the $200 million already taken from education!!

Gee...I wonder why 40% of our kids can't read at their grade level..?

And about a quarter drop out of high school...

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 12:30:42 pm »

And I read that part of the Lindsey Nicole Henry scholarship was ruled unconstitutional by a local district court judge in OKC. That's Fallin's fault too.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2014, 12:32:19 pm »

Ahh...just what we need - lose some Federal funding on top of the $200 million already taken from education!!

Gee...I wonder why 40% of our kids can't read at their grade level..?

And about a quarter drop out of high school...

Are you upset over the loss of funding, or that this state did not obediently accept common core just to get the money?

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2014, 12:49:06 pm »

Are you upset over the loss of funding, or that this state did not obediently accept common core just to get the money?

You sure have the whipped dog thing hidden under your garments.

It does suck that because Oklahoma's so freaked out by these jackasses on the far right that the state deliberately takes steps to lose federal funding.

"There!  We aren't part of Obama's government's puppet theater!"

The less Oklahoma educates its children, the better chance Oklahoma will retain a government like it has right now.
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2014, 01:06:55 pm »

Common Core is a bad thing. Mary Fallin did good.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2014, 01:07:50 pm »

Common Core is a bad thing. Mary Fallin did good.

Quick, without looking it up, explain Common Core.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2014, 05:11:47 pm »

Quick, without looking it up, explain Common Core.

Yep. Precisely what the feds expect the states to do. Next softball, please. I really do not think you are even trying any more.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 05:14:20 pm by guido911 » Logged

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2014, 05:41:38 pm »

Yep. Precisely what the feds expect the states to do. Next softball, please. I really do not think you are even trying any more.

Say's the A/V dude from high school...

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org