A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:26:53 pm
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 57   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Simon Outlet Mall 61st & Hwy 75  (Read 450418 times)
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #720 on: September 08, 2015, 08:25:33 am »

I got here in 2003.

Since that time the Airport Authority has entered into sweet heart dels that were voided, obligated the City to loan payments that it was voided, and, well, gotten in some messes.

The Economic Development Gods have tanked a couple of deals, dolled out corporate welfare, and considered anything and everything "Development" even if a model would indicate it might be a net loss.

The MTTA, as far as I know, has not had any major scandals since I've been here. Pretty much just making due with a low budget and few people giving a damn about their mission.

I have no doubt the Authority serves its own interest. Most organizations become self serving beasts to some extent even if they are trying to do good (see, .e.g., the Red Cross).  But since I have been here, River Parks has done their job and done it well. I know you have had some fights over the river with various groups, agencies, authorities, and people... but I haven't heard of a grand scandal involving River Parks that operated to the detriment of the citizens. Since I've been here, they have vastly improved things. So i have to base it on my experience unless advised otherwise (feel free to PM me, I'm not setting a trap, I'm looking for info).

All that said, I saw an airboat on the Arkansas yesterday and thought of you. Smiley

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #721 on: September 08, 2015, 12:42:28 pm »

I will pm you. I'm not too sure of the security of those pm's, but I can give you some general problems not publicly known for informational value only.

BTW, I had no problems, including fights, with any other group, agency, or authority. However, I was blamed for most everything negative on the river. I was alternately either a genius or a disaster. One steroidal rowing crew member threatened me, a fisherman threw his bait near my boat as I approached shore and I was blamed for everything from least tern deaths to broken plaster a mile away. A drunk Oktoberfest volunteer cursed me and a woman once flashed her breasts at me from a festival as we passed by. A homeless group shot at me from the woods across from the refinery and a redneck peppered my kayak group with stray .22 target bullets. But no real groups, agencies or other authorities.

onward...through the fog
rebound
City Father

« Reply #722 on: September 08, 2015, 01:20:01 pm »

I will pm you. I'm not too sure of the security of those pm's, but I can give you some general problems not publicly known for informational value only.

BTW, I had no problems, including fights, with any other group, agency, or authority. However, I was blamed for most everything negative on the river. I was alternately either a genius or a disaster. One steroidal rowing crew member threatened me, a fisherman threw his bait near my boat as I approached shore and I was blamed for everything from least tern deaths to broken plaster a mile away. A drunk Oktoberfest volunteer cursed me and a woman once flashed her breasts at me from a festival as we passed by. A homeless group shot at me from the woods across from the refinery and a redneck peppered my kayak group with stray .22 target bullets. But no real groups, agencies or other authorities.
---------------

OK, now I am seriously intrigued.  What were you doing that elicited these responses?  Inquiring minds and all that. 

Also, I've got three kayaks, and am serious that  I would welcome a chance to kayak the whole thing from the dam down.  If you ever decide to get a group together, let me know.   

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #723 on: September 08, 2015, 01:35:08 pm »

Dam, I had no no idea it was all Mad Max, Below Zink Lake down there.

AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #724 on: September 08, 2015, 06:20:34 pm »

Well, it was above Zink Lake for the most part. I spent little time on the lake, usually picking up and dropping off. I suspect you're laughing at me, but it was an exciting business. It was a loss for Tulsa. I was so many years ahead of appreciation for the river. And I was so naïve. Discover Tulsa used the footage from their trip on their credits for several years.

onward...through the fog
rdj
City Father

« Reply #725 on: September 09, 2015, 07:33:11 am »

...and a woman once flashed her breasts at me from a festival as we passed by.

Pics or it didn't happen!

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #726 on: September 09, 2015, 08:48:08 am »

Someone has them. I was driving. At any rate it wasn't unusual to see naked people around the river. Our first trip we came across some folks passed out on a sand bar by the refinery. Even the sound of my motor didn't rouse them. Getting a full body tan after the previous night s party.

onward...through the fog
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #727 on: September 10, 2015, 01:21:48 pm »

Ahhh...the truth is out - it is YOU causing all these earthquakes!!  Couldn't possibly be oil business....  It all makes sense now!!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
LeGenDz
Activist

« Reply #728 on: September 11, 2015, 01:20:38 pm »

Well it's official. Jenks it is.

LeGenDz
Activist

« Reply #729 on: September 11, 2015, 01:33:24 pm »

Outlet mall officially announced for Jenks, not near Tulsa's Turkey Mountain

The outlet mall that met backlash from people who use trails on private land near Turkey Mountain is officially building in Jenks, the developer said Friday.
The announcement from Simon Premium Outlets came months after the development group's brochure had called Jenks the home of Tulsa Premium Outlets and Jenks Mayor Kelly Dunkerley confirmed the move.
Construction on the outlet mall is scheduled to start in Spring 2016, with an opening in Summer 2017, according to the announcement.
The first phase of the development is planned to encompass 325,000 square feet with 80 to 90 retail options.
The new site is along the south side of the Creek Turnpike just west of the Arkansas River in Jenks' River District.
"We are eager to serve the entire Tulsa metropolitan market from this location," said Mark Silvestri, COO of Simon Premium Outlets. "We are really looking forward to bringing our vision of value shopping, which has been extremely popular throughout the world, to Tulsa."
The statement from Silvestri did not address the move from Tulsa city limits into Jenks, which Tulsa officials have been hoping to avoid for months.
The move strips the city of Tulsa of an estimated $4 million to $5 million each year that would have gone into the city's sales-tax-based budget.
The original plan for the mall to be built near Turkey Mountain drew strong reaction from Turkey Mountain Urban Wilderness patrons who feared that the outlet mall would encroach on their outdoor activities and the natural setting.

http://m.tulsaworld.com/news/local/outlet-mall-officially-announced-for-jenks-not-near-tulsa-s/article_d8906d5b-b2a9-523b-a1fe-6b59b5efabc7.html?mode=jqm
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 01:36:28 pm by LeGenDz » Logged

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #730 on: September 11, 2015, 02:10:12 pm »

Well it's official. Jenks it is.

Parking lot runoff straight into the river instead of into Turkey Mountain.

The mall doesn't look that great in the mock ups so I'm going to guess it's going to look worse.  To me, this is a "meh".
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #731 on: September 11, 2015, 02:46:38 pm »

100% "meh."  Even if it happens. Which is 50/50.

I naturally crave more sales tax revenue for Tulsa - but we keep getting more and more retail space and it never seems to solve our revenue problem. So I'm not so gun-ho about selling out for sales tax revenue. That model needs to due anyway.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #732 on: September 14, 2015, 09:03:35 am »

It'll be a depressing ghost town in 20 years.  Outlet malls have run their course.  Texas has a few that are still successful, but a bunch are really sad and creepy with a few stores still around and handful of customers. 
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #733 on: September 14, 2015, 10:07:29 am »

Simon’s construction schedule seemed more ambitious with the Turkey Mountain location, construction was to have started about now.  Doesn’t sound like they are too concerned about the Woodmont/Cherokee project or the Horizon one moving forward since they won’t break ground until next spring.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #734 on: September 14, 2015, 01:54:55 pm »

100% "meh."  Even if it happens. Which is 50/50.

I naturally crave more sales tax revenue for Tulsa - but we keep getting more and more retail space and it never seems to solve our revenue problem. So I'm not so gun-ho about selling out for sales tax revenue. That model needs to due anyway.

Would the tax revenue from the Turkey Mountain development or the other Tulsa offered place have gone to Tulsa schools?  From what I gather the Tulsa Hills development goes to Jenks Schools.  Union gets the Woodland Hills areas tax income.  We could indeed use some Tulsa retail development for Tulsa's schools.  What do we have now, the Promenade area?  

Another reason to shop downtown and DECOPOLIS if you ask me! Not that I am biased or anything.  

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 57   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org