A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:53:06 am
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 57   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Simon Outlet Mall 61st & Hwy 75  (Read 450332 times)
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #390 on: February 17, 2015, 02:34:52 pm »

I give up.  Undecided

Wait until he quadruples down before re-engaging.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #391 on: February 17, 2015, 02:36:05 pm »

Give 'em hell, girl!!

Not sure Target and Belk are that great an example for "fancy", though...  Not sure what fancy and upscale really is in this area, but I know it ain't those or Macy's and the like.

You are really off recently.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #392 on: February 17, 2015, 03:31:26 pm »

You are really off recently.

You think Target, Belk, and Macy's are upscale??

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #393 on: February 17, 2015, 04:47:33 pm »

I'm a bit confused with some views here. Do you all think that because Outlet Malls has name brand retailers that they are truly upscale? Some people on here have correctly noted that the tenants themselves are not the same quality as their namesakes stores. They use the names but sell products of less quality. Outlet Malls doesn't attract the affluent crowds you might suppose. They do attract customers who don't know the difference. Like the residents of the subsidized housing right across the bridge. Or South Haven, or Garden City. But Jenks? Those folks with the $350,000 homes?

The idea that out of area customers are going to bypass all the suburban centers to get to OM doesn't ring true to me. Unless they intend to sight/see  around TM. It should easily fail as a center and end up an eyesore just like the RiverWalk, but who in local government is going to announce to the rest of the development community that Tulsa is hostile to their interests?

onward...through the fog
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #394 on: February 17, 2015, 05:34:16 pm »

Hopefully someone steps in and buys this property and leaves it like it is.......If thats possible.....

ZYX
Philanthropist

« Reply #395 on: February 17, 2015, 07:20:00 pm »

I'm a bit confused with some views here. Do you all think that because Outlet Malls has name brand retailers that they are truly upscale? Some people on here have correctly noted that the tenants themselves are not the same quality as their namesakes stores. They use the names but sell products of less quality. Outlet Malls doesn't attract the affluent crowds you might suppose. They do attract customers who don't know the difference. Like the residents of the subsidized housing right across the bridge. Or South Haven, or Garden City. But Jenks? Those folks with the $350,000 homes?

The idea that out of area customers are going to bypass all the suburban centers to get to OM doesn't ring true to me. Unless they intend to sight/see  around TM. It should easily fail as a center and end up an eyesore just like the RiverWalk, but who in local government is going to announce to the rest of the development community that Tulsa is hostile to their interests?

I would guess that people living in $350,000 houses are some of the people that would be most excited about an outlet mall. Also, people will definitely bypass other shopping centers to get to this one. I would expect that the mall would be profitable, at least in the short term. However, the outlet craze probably won't last forever, and then what happens with this collection of huge concrete boxes?
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #396 on: February 17, 2015, 08:09:06 pm »

Hopefully someone steps in and buys this property and leaves it like it is.......If thats possible.....

Which brings us back to the whole owner not selling thing.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #397 on: February 17, 2015, 08:53:32 pm »

Which brings us back to the whole owner not selling thing.

Owner hasn’t taken down the for sale sign.  Simon hasn’t bought the property.  Why would that be?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #398 on: February 17, 2015, 09:19:32 pm »

Owner hasn’t taken down the for sale sign.  Simon hasn’t bought the property.  Why would that be?

At least two previous entities tried, including the Y, and he refused because he wanted to sell to retail.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #399 on: February 17, 2015, 09:35:19 pm »

Maybe he's trying for a long term ground lease.....

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #400 on: February 17, 2015, 09:48:28 pm »

At least two previous entities tried, including the Y, and he refused because he wanted to sell to retail.

Is the owner local?  I had heard about the Y trying to buy the property it's too bad that it isn't all controlled by either the Y or GKFF like the other parcels abutting Turkey Mtn Urban Wilderness.  If the outlet mall is deemed unviable I wonder if the owner would be interested in other options besides retail.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #401 on: February 17, 2015, 10:07:29 pm »

Is the owner local?  I had heard about the Y trying to buy the property it's too bad that it isn't all controlled by either the Y or GKFF like the other parcels abutting Turkey Mtn Urban Wilderness.  If the outlet mall is deemed unviable I wonder if the owner would be interested in other options besides retail.

The partnership is quite local.  Well known in Tulsa real estate circles.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #402 on: February 17, 2015, 10:16:16 pm »

Has nothing to do with wanting to sell to retail. It’s more like wanting a “retail” price for rural land.

Asking price is $3.2 mil according to the last marketing materials available for it on loopnet.  That’s in the range of $52K or so per acre for a parcel which has many challenges to development. 

The problem is, previous suitors thought that was a ridiculous price for the land.  Finally someone figured it was worth it to them.  Maybe we will finally realize that the value of green space is worth more than craptastic parking lots, 70 foot tall retaining walls, and 80 stores of off-shore made dreck and we finally pay the freight to preserve it.

I don’t fault the land owners so much for seizing a forward-looking opportunity and buying it as I do the lack of vision of people who could/should have bought this years ago for quite a bit less.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #403 on: February 18, 2015, 01:55:10 am »

I don’t fault the land owners so much for seizing a forward-looking opportunity and buying it as I do the lack of vision of people who could/should have bought this years ago for quite a bit less.

Here ya go.  Tongue

rebound
City Father

« Reply #404 on: February 18, 2015, 09:48:57 am »

Here ya go.  Tongue

Other than taking a simplistic shot at Conan, are you suggesting that he himself would have been in position to buy this land several years ago, prior to the usage change from agriculture (or similar) to commercial?    If so, he's way more connected than I imagined.   Also, the vast majority of people seem to not have even been aware until recently that commercialization of the property was even a real possibility.  But there were groups out there (the Y, Kaiser, even the city of Tulsa) that either did or should have had their attention on this, and could have actually done something.   

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 57   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org