A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:07:31 am
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 57   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Simon Outlet Mall 61st & Hwy 75  (Read 450581 times)
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #135 on: August 28, 2014, 07:36:55 pm »

But on the hill closer to 71st, that's prime property for residential development.  There's actually some bluffs in there east of Elwood above the Arkansas floodplain that have some decent views.  

The rumor I heard several years ago was that those property owners were looking for the City/Airport Authority to buy them out for additional safety zone area.  I think they are out of the zone though or they would have already been bought out.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #136 on: August 28, 2014, 08:42:02 pm »

I would still have a difficult time convincing myself to drive to OKC for one or two pair of Levis that I could get in Tulsa.

Well yeah, who said anything about spending $30 on gas to save $20 on two pairs of pants?
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #137 on: August 28, 2014, 09:01:56 pm »

Well yeah, who said anything about spending $30 on gas to save $20 on two pairs of pants?

I guess I just don't generally spend as much on clothes as other people.  I actually hate going shopping for clothes.

I make up for not spending much money on clothes by converting av-gas to noise and then replacing the av-gas.  Grin

chimchim
Citizen

« Reply #138 on: August 28, 2014, 09:28:10 pm »

We've been doing a bit of homework on the Simon property development, and surrounding lots.  Tomorrow we'll be continuing a series of articles on building, planning, zoning, land ownership, etc. in the area.

http://tulsanow.org/index.php/turkey-mountain-what-happened/

If you've got some questions that you'd like us specifically to answer, let us know.  Thanks!
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #139 on: August 29, 2014, 04:30:19 am »

Just to relate my own experience with a Simon Outlet (Arizona Mills) and Outlets at Anthem http://www.outletsanthem.com/ north of Phoenix, I found good deals on clothing and shoes. At one time Anthem had a Reebok outlet where I could get 3 pair for the price of two (as long as one pair was priced less than the other two) and they were Reebok quality. I could buy three pairs of shoes for work for ~$60.00 and get shoes for nine months and year after year they had the same shoes. With my job at the time, I could wear golf shirts and jeans, and could get good prices on Greg Norman shirts, and Reebok shirts, usually $10.00 to $20.00. With Arizona Mills they had a JC Penney outlet where I could get golf shirts for $8.00 to $15.00 just after summer. All of these were usually first run clothes sent to the outlet after the winter clothes came in to the regular stores.

I could get between the two and a trip to Target for Wrangler Jeans, a years worth of work clothes and shoes for ~$250.00.

Arizona Mills has gone through changes of stores, they had JC Penney, Virgin Mega Store, Macy's, and they now have Needless Markup, Nordstrom, Sak's, and others, but it has maintained since the mid 90's, and hasn't become a vacant waste land.

The one in north Phoenix, still does quite well, and the two have enough different stores that they don't compete directly. Are there stores that are not real discounts? Yes, don't go to the Bose store and expect a bargin. Does Arizona Mills have a Ross and a Burlington Coat Factory? Yes it does, and I can tell you that I won't buy from Ross/TJ Maxx/Marshalls.

Both outlet malls in Phoenix have been in business for close to 20 years, and don't show any decay, dying, becoming a waste land of vacant places. The original Tanger in Stroud was a good idea, but as been mentioned, who wants to drive 50 miles to save less than what was spent in gas and tolls getting there, and really, who wanted to stop and shop there on a road trip.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #140 on: August 29, 2014, 07:13:04 am »

Is this thread turning into what does Tulsa need more? Fully intact Turkey mountain or an outlet mall?

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #141 on: August 29, 2014, 08:21:05 am »

New Balance replaced the 993 shoes with a newer version of 990.  I don't like the 990s.  The tongue slides way off to the side and the heels fall apart.  NB did send me a free pair of 990s when I complained about really early failure of my first pair of 990s.  I found a place on-line that carries overstock 993s for the same price as I used to pay for them at Academy.  I guess I bought them from an Outlet store now that I think about it a bit.  I think I got free shipping.

http://www.joesnewbalanceoutlet.com/detail.asp?style=MR993GL&size=&width=&category=all&selection=mshoes&sort=POP&shoeLast=&price=

Joe's sells an MW927 which is "similar" to, but $50 cheaper than the MW928 - it's the discount version of 928.  When you search 927 on New Balance web site, it shows as the 928.  So Joe gets a different number at a different price point for the same shoe.  New Balance store at Utica Square sells the 928 - the one I like - may have to try Joe's to see how it holds up.

Kind of like Lowe's and their price guarantee - they will be all competitors by 10% for the same thing - and then buy a variation of the standard item, labeled specifically for them, so they never have to pay the difference!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #142 on: August 29, 2014, 08:23:16 am »

Is this thread turning into what does Tulsa need more? Fully intact Turkey mountain or an outlet mall?

Yes, it is.

Growth for growth's sake....always go with the mall...!!

No matter how tacky in comparison to the surroundings.... actually, the more so the better....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
rdj
City Father

« Reply #143 on: August 29, 2014, 08:35:44 am »

We've been doing a bit of homework on the Simon property development, and surrounding lots.  Tomorrow we'll be continuing a series of articles on building, planning, zoning, land ownership, etc. in the area.

http://tulsanow.org/index.php/turkey-mountain-what-happened/

If you've got some questions that you'd like us specifically to answer, let us know.  Thanks!

It is a small nuance, but Simon has not purchased the land as you state in your post.  They've agreed to lease it per the TW stories.  Much easier to abandon a lease and leave the property owner hanging than it is to shut a project down and sell the land.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #144 on: August 29, 2014, 09:07:18 am »

Arizona Mills has gone through changes of stores, they had JC Penney, Virgin Mega Store, Macy's, and they now have Needless Markup, Nordstrom, Sak's, and others, but it has maintained since the mid 90's, and hasn't become a vacant waste land.

"Uh Bevis, there’s this mega store where they sell virgins...uh huh huh huh uh”

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #145 on: August 29, 2014, 09:18:08 am »

"Uh Bevis, there’s this mega store where they sell virgins...uh huh huh huh uh”

Wait a minute. They're in Washington and they expect to find actual virgins?

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
Vision 2025
Philanthropist

« Reply #146 on: August 29, 2014, 10:34:43 am »

It is a small nuance, but Simon has not purchased the land as you state in your post.  They've agreed to lease it per the TW stories.  Much easier to abandon a lease and leave the property owner hanging than it is to shut a project down and sell the land.
Leases are often utilized to tie the property in the development phase then are converted to purchase at a later date.

Vision 2025 Program Director - know the facts, www.Vision2025.info
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #147 on: September 01, 2014, 12:58:12 am »

At least they are not talking about road construction in that area.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/homepage1/no-road-construction-planned-for-st-street-at-u-s/article_ceb75a3f-801b-54d0-a349-e3d382a1f689.html

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
davideinstein
« Reply #148 on: September 01, 2014, 09:36:13 am »

If so, the answer is a fully intact Turkey Mountain.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #149 on: September 01, 2014, 10:18:44 pm »

That could prove the project un-doing unless Simon is used to spending millions upon millions in infrastructure.  The interchange may seem pretty academic to them.  What if the city or county required a complete overhaul of the 61st/Elwood ribbon of road to 71st?  I’m not sure enough money exists to make that a safe stretch of road for high traffic.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 57   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org