A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:46:44 am
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 57   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Simon Outlet Mall 61st & Hwy 75  (Read 450501 times)
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #120 on: August 28, 2014, 04:32:32 pm »

Used to shop Ross all the time for clothes for myself. Still do on occasion.

I've been in the Ross store by 71st & Memorial.  There is just something depressing about that place.

ARGUS
Civic Leader

« Reply #121 on: August 28, 2014, 04:38:05 pm »

ALL Outlet Malls are donkey...or will soon be. They end up being a huge albatross of a sh!tte building. I know. Iused to build Tanger Outlet Malls.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #122 on: August 28, 2014, 04:40:05 pm »

I've been in the Ross store by 71st & Memorial.  There is just something depressing about that place.

There's something depressing about almost all stores out in the 71st and Memorial area.  I went to the WalMart one time on 68th and Memorial and it seemed worse than the one on Admiral & Memorial.  That takes some effort.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #123 on: August 28, 2014, 04:42:43 pm »

Beware some of those bargains.  There was one product line we carried for a while that had some nice quality items.  Then one day a customer came in and said "Well I found that same item at Ross for 'such and such' a price", which was just a little over what we paid wholesale!  I was like "that sucks".  Later that week we went to Ross and low and behold the customer was right.  Almost.   The box looked EXACTLY like the box we had, opened it up, and the item at first glance looked the same, but, something seemed a little different.  I picked the item up and then I saw what the deal was, this was a more lightweight, cheaper version of what we had in our store. Regardless, it made me mad and I dropped the line and won't carry them anymore because most people are not going to pay attention to that, they are only going look at the package and the price and think my prices are higher for the same item, when they are not. Felt it was kind of screwy that this company did that.  Caveat Emptor on me I guess.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #124 on: August 28, 2014, 04:50:46 pm »

Beware some of those bargains.  There was one product line we carried for a while that had some nice quality items.  Then one day a customer came in and said "Well I found that same item at Ross for 'such and such' a price", which was just a little over what we paid wholesale!  I was like "that sucks".  Later that week we went to Ross and low and behold the customer was right.  Almost.   The box looked EXACTLY like the box we had, opened it up, and the item at first glance looked the same, but, something seemed a little different.  I picked the item up and then I saw what the deal was, this was a more lightweight, cheaper version of what we had in our store. Regardless, it made me mad and I dropped the line and won't carry them anymore because most people are not going to pay attention to that, they are only going look at the package and the price and think my prices are higher for the same item, when they are not. Felt it was kind of screwy that this company did that.  Caveat Emptor on me I guess.

It’s quite common in retail to have one version of a product for deep discounters and one for other retailers.  I’ve been told the major soap manufacturers will use more fillers and less surfactants in detergent for Wal-Mart than what you might pick up at Reasor’s.  Or they manufacture a size slightly smaller than your local grocery store sells.

For the kinds of things you carry, I’d be surprised to find the same product in Ross or Marshall’s.  If I did see something you stock, and it was less at a discounter, I realize they are discounters and usually are selling seconds, irregulars, or old stock items.  I wouldn’t think there was anything untoward in your pricing.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #125 on: August 28, 2014, 04:52:51 pm »

My response to all the comments about "the new wearing off" of the outlet mall is this, have you ever seen any of the semi-local outlet malls empty?  Or shut down for any reason other than being demolished in a tornado (Stroud)?

The one in OKC is too new to judge.  But the one in Allen, TX is doing fine.  I believe there is one in Gainsville(?), TX as well, that seems to be doing fine.  I've past others in Missouri (I think) that seem to be doing fine.

I don't get the attraction either, but they are always busy, and Tulsa currently has citizens that make the drive to other towns or states to shop at these places.  That tells me all I need to know about successful one would be here.

There is an abandoned one on I-35 near Tonkawa.  I think that one died almost as soon as it opened, I’d say it’s been there around 15 years.  It may have been the same developer as Gainesville but on a smaller scale.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #126 on: August 28, 2014, 05:02:07 pm »

It’s quite common in retail to have one version of a product for deep discounters and one for other retailers.  I’ve been told the major soap manufacturers will use more fillers and less surfactants in detergent for Wal-Mart than what you might pick up at Reasor’s.  Or they manufacture a size slightly smaller than your local grocery store sells.

For the kinds of things you carry, I’d be surprised to find the same product in Ross or Marshall’s.  If I did see something you stock, and it was less at a discounter, I realize they are discounters and usually are selling seconds, irregulars, or old stock items.  I wouldn’t think there was anything untoward in your pricing.

New Balance sells shoes at Utica Square, and they have shoes at Walmart. The only thing in common is the name.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #127 on: August 28, 2014, 05:03:42 pm »

New Balance sells shoes at Utica Square, and they have shoes at Walmart. The only thing in common is the name.

Yup.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #128 on: August 28, 2014, 05:12:07 pm »

Yup.

Actually the thing to understand from this discussion is what they sell at walmart may appear to be the same products and same brands, but it most often is not.

Most people don't notice the cheaper materials, when their 5 pound flour bag is only 4 pounds, when the toilet paper rolls are smaller or when the role of scotch tape is only 10ft long.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #129 on: August 28, 2014, 06:50:52 pm »

Actually the thing to understand from this discussion is what they sell at walmart may appear to be the same products and same brands, but it most often is not.
Most people don't notice the cheaper materials, when their 5 pound flour bag is only 4 pounds,

Sugar is also only 4 lb.

Miracle Gro potting soil is 2 cu ft rather than 64 quarts for the same stuff at Lowe's.  Try to convert that in your head while at the store.
(2 cu ft is approx 60 qts. per Google)

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #130 on: August 28, 2014, 07:02:53 pm »

There's something depressing about almost all stores out in the 71st and Memorial area.  I went to the WalMart one time on 68th and Memorial and it seemed worse than the one on Admiral & Memorial.  That takes some effort.

I don't like WM at 68th & Memorial either.  The one at 111th & Memorial isn't too bad.

I don't go to many stores in the 71st & Memorial area.  I go to Sears for Craftsman tools if they have something I need on sale.  I go to Penny's for Levis although I have also gone to Academy Sports since they are now carrying 569's in something beside destroyed colors.

High Gravity is a nice store.  I also go to the Hobby Town there for model RR stuff. 

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #131 on: August 28, 2014, 07:10:24 pm »

Along 81st it floods easily.  North along Elwood is higher ground.

Floodplains haven't stopped development before.  They just get flood insurance so we can all share in the loss.   Sad

There's a noticeable hill as you go down into the Hager Creek floodplain on 81st just west of Elwood, and on Elwood just north of 81st.  You probably wouldn't want to build houses anywhere in that area, plus it's across the street from the airport.  That's not stopping them in Jenks though south of 91st.  But on the hill closer to 71st, that's prime property for residential development.  There's actually some bluffs in there east of Elwood above the Arkansas floodplain that have some decent views.  

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #132 on: August 28, 2014, 07:11:59 pm »

New Balance replaced the 993 shoes with a newer version of 990.  I don't like the 990s.  The tongue slides way off to the side and the heels fall apart.  NB did send me a free pair of 990s when I complained about really early failure of my first pair of 990s.  I found a place on-line that carries overstock 993s for the same price as I used to pay for them at Academy.  I guess I bought them from an Outlet store now that I think about it a bit.  I think I got free shipping.

http://www.joesnewbalanceoutlet.com/detail.asp?style=MR993GL&size=&width=&category=all&selection=mshoes&sort=POP&shoeLast=&price=

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #133 on: August 28, 2014, 07:17:34 pm »

I remember the advertised prices at the outlet mall in Stroud as not being worth the drive there for how much I intended to purchase.  What is the real attraction for the outlet malls?

New Balance replaced the 993 shoes with a newer version of 990.  I don't like the 990s.  The tongue slides way off to the side and the heels fall apart.  NB did send me a free pair of 990s when I complained about really early failure of my first pair of 990s.  I found a place on-line that carries overstock 993s for the same price as I used to pay for them at Academy.  I guess I bought them from an Outlet store now that I think about it a bit.  I think I got free shipping.

http://www.joesnewbalanceoutlet.com/detail.asp?style=MR993GL&size=&width=&category=all&selection=mshoes&sort=POP&shoeLast=&price=

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #134 on: August 28, 2014, 07:33:10 pm »

I remember the advertised prices at the outlet mall in Stroud as not being worth the drive there for how much I intended to purchase.  What is the real attraction for the outlet malls?

Quote from: Red Arrow on Today at 08:11:59 pm
New Balance replaced the 993 shoes with a newer version of 990.  I don't like the 990s.  The tongue slides way off to the side and the heels fall apart.  NB did send me a free pair of 990s when I complained about really early failure of my first pair of 990s.  I found a place on-line that carries overstock 993s for the same price as I used to pay for them at Academy.  I guess I bought them from an Outlet store now that I think about it a bit.  I think I got free shipping.

I would still have a difficult time convincing myself to drive to OKC for one or two pair of Levis that I could get in Tulsa.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 57   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org