A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:06:37 pm
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 57   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Simon Outlet Mall 61st & Hwy 75  (Read 450392 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« on: August 19, 2014, 03:21:53 pm »

Someone said this needed it’s own thread:

Developer Confirms Premium Outlet Mall Coming To Tulsa

The specific stores reportedly coming to Tulsa have not been announced.

A spokesperson for the city of Tulsa says Simon Properties is planning to build an multi-million dollar premium outlet center in south Tulsa.

Simon Properties has dozens of premium outlet centers across the nation with stores like Banana Republic, Barneys New York, Crate and Barrel, Michael Kors, Polo Ralph Lauren and more. It has not been announced which stores would be at the south Tulsa location.

A spokesperson says Simon Properties, the company that operates Tulsa's Woodland Hills Mall, already has purchased land at U.S. Highway 75 and 61st Street for the 800,000-square foot outlet mall.

We'll have more on this story tonight at 9 and 10 p.m.

http://www.newson6.com/story/26319071/developer-confirms-premium-outlet-mall-coming-to-tulsa

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 03:35:16 pm »

This is great news and should further fortify Tulsa's southwestern sales tax flank for the next 10 years.

I wonder what impact, if any, this will have on the once rumored outlet mall on the eastern edge of Tulsa along I44?
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 04:14:50 pm »

This story does not merit its own thread.   Grin  I do like this development.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
bacjz00
Civic Leader

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 04:17:15 pm »

To be quite honest, I think this development would probably do a little bit better over near Hard Rock in Catoosa.  It would pull more of the folks over from NWA.    I think the West Tulsa will do just fine too though.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 07:38:32 pm »

To be quite honest, I think this development would probably do a little bit better over near Hard Rock in Catoosa.  It would pull more of the folks over from NWA.    I think the West Tulsa will do just fine too though.

If they're driving to Tulsa, they're not going to care if they have to drive 15 more minutes. The outlet mall in OKC is near nothing and on the south side but draws from Tulsa.

I'm wondering about the impact on Turkey Mountain trails.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 09:29:35 pm »

If they're driving to Tulsa, they're not going to care if they have to drive 15 more minutes. The outlet mall in OKC is near nothing and on the south side but draws from Tulsa.

I'm wondering about the impact on Turkey Mountain trails.

Is it on the east side of 75?  I assumed it to be on the land to the west south of 61st and east of Union.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 07:16:06 am »

Is it on the east side of 75?  I assumed it to be on the land to the west south of 61st and east of Union.
North East corner according the TW
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 07:17:16 am »

North East corner according the TW

bacjz00
Civic Leader

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 07:20:08 am »

It's on the east side of 75, stretching from 61st street northward.

That portion of land really isn't a part of Turkey Mountain proper as it is privately owned.    While there will undoubtedly have to be some grading done to build an outlet mall there, there should be little to no effect on the portion of the mountain where cyclists and joggers frequent, other than increased vehicle traffic coming and going past the trailhead.

This portion of Tulsa is vastly underdeveloped IMO.   While it's nice to see the hills throughout this area, progress marches forward.  

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 07:58:40 am »

It looks like the eastern border of the mall abuts a section we refer to as pipeline (there’s a pipeliner road which runs north to south).  It affects lesser used expert trails for the most part as well as some intermediate and easier trails which connect the Westside Y to the area where the mall will be.  There’s still plenty of trail access from the Y to the rest of the trail system.  Just a wild guess, but probably less than 20% of the people who use the Turkey Mountain/YMCA trail system utilize this particular area.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2014, 08:30:34 am »

I'm always glad to see tax money staying I Tulsa so if this is going to be built, better here than in the suburbs.  I'm guessing this one will succeed and the one in East Tulsa will fold.  I always thought it was an awkward spot.  If NWA was a target, you would think closer to the Hard Rock would be a better fit since there is still a lot of land out there and a bunch of hotels.
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2014, 09:38:57 am »

This portion of Tulsa is vastly underdeveloped IMO.   While it's nice to see the hills throughout this area, progress marches forward.  

Perhaps
I suppose you could say the same about the area's on each side of the Golden Gate bridge (Muir Woods / Golden Gate Rec area / Presidio),  Central Park in NYC, and Stanley Park in Vancouver.

Stanley1
Activist

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2014, 09:48:31 am »

There is a lot going up on the west side, along the 75 corridor. 

This at 61st street.

At 71st-81st you have Tulsa Hills.

At 81st they are breaking ground on The Walk at Tulsa Hills.

Also at 81st they are breaking ground on the Main Event entertainment spot.

And there is still a lot of land available to do even more.  At some point, somebody is going to put something in the big open lot at 71st and Elwood.  There is still land available on the southwest corner of 75 and 81st Street.  And a few other similar locations.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2014, 12:32:38 pm »

There is a lot going up on the west side, along the 75 corridor. 

This at 61st street.

At 71st-81st you have Tulsa Hills.

At 81st they are breaking ground on The Walk at Tulsa Hills.

Also at 81st they are breaking ground on the Main Event entertainment spot.

And there is still a lot of land available to do even more.  At some point, somebody is going to put something in the big open lot at 71st and Elwood.  There is still land available on the southwest corner of 75 and 81st Street.  And a few other similar locations.

Good summary. Showing us all we do not need to pour millions into downtown to have a successful and vibrant city.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2014, 12:51:07 pm »

Good summary. Showing us all we do not need to pour millions into downtown to have a successful and vibrant city.

Oh, this has been expensive and is going to continue to be expensive. The city already gave TIF money to Tulsa Hills to even open, and then Tulsa widened 81st from Olympia to US75 and has completely rebuilt 71st from the river to 33rd W Ave.  The exits at 81st and 61st are old and tiny and won’t be up to all this traffic so the state will have to be replace them, very soon. 75 itself is already overloaded with traffic so you are probably looking at a couple of hundred million to fix the highway from I-44 to 81st. Then 61st will have to be widened, and 81st from Olympia to Elwood, and then Elwood itself with a major intersections completed at 81st and Elwood, 81st and Union and 61st and Union. This is easily going to cost what the BOK Center and Oneok cost, combined.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 12:53:06 pm by swake » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 57   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org