A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:17:26 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brew Pub by the ballpark  (Read 40386 times)
rdj
City Father

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2014, 08:39:38 am »

Try a few of Prairie’s 3.2% ABW beers they are now serving pints of and filling growlers with at their brewery.  It will make you think twice about the limitations of brewing at such a low alcohol content.  Far cry from MillerBudCoors piss water.

Oh, and BTW, there’s a new place for you to road trip for good beer: Macadoodles on Rangeline Road in Joplin.  I stopped in yesterday on my way back from some business in Missouri.  Not only New Belgium, but Stone, Odell, Shlaffly, Mother’s, O’Fallon, Breckenridge, etc. ad nauseum.  It’s like every brand you cannot find in Oklahoma plus they support the Missouri microbreweries we still can’t get in Oklahoma.  My poor car needs new rear springs now. 

Agreed about Macadoodles.  I have been to the store in Branson.  Tried to make the Joplin store one evening while driving back from a business trip, didn't make it in time.  Missouri has several great microbreweries.  Particularly, St Louis.  Paste Magazine has started writing about booze.  Nice post a few weeks about craft beer.  Actually mentioned Prairie.  http://www.pastemagazine.com/blogs/lists/2014/08/top-5-craft-breweries-to-watch.html

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2014, 09:29:44 am »

Tulsa World article today confirms that it's the building directly across from the ticket office that is red on the side facing the ballpark.  It also says that Lefty's on Greenwood is set to open in the fall, so that's two sports bars within a few blocks of each other.  I have no doubt both can be successful.  The brewpub is almost guaranteed success considering Elliot Nelson's track record and Marshall's sustained success over more than five years.  No idea who is in charge of Lefty's.  It's pretty easy to make missteps and fail in the restaurant biz.
saintnicster
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2014, 09:34:35 am »

Try a few of Prairie’s 3.2% ABW beers they are now serving pints of and filling growlers with at their brewery.  It will make you think twice about the limitations of brewing at such a low alcohol content.  Far cry from MillerBudCoors piss water.
Yep.  If your recipe is targeting 3.2, then you can get the taste and flavor right before you ship.

Others don't want to create new recipes, so they just water down the beer to get the magical number.  Pretty simple concept.
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2014, 09:40:54 am »

Agreed about Macadoodles.  I have been to the store in Branson.  Tried to make the Joplin store one evening while driving back from a business trip, didn't make it in time.  Missouri has several great microbreweries.  Particularly, St Louis.  Paste Magazine has started writing about booze.  Nice post a few weeks about craft beer.  Actually mentioned Prairie.  http://www.pastemagazine.com/blogs/lists/2014/08/top-5-craft-breweries-to-watch.html

I visit the one in Springdale, AR monthly
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2014, 10:56:57 am »

I visit the one in Springdale, AR monthly

Where’s it located in Springdale, just so I know when we head over that way.

Don’t forget to get growler fills at the Ozark Beer brewery in Rogers.  They are doing some great things there!

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
saintnicster
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2014, 12:40:37 pm »

Further clarification - This isn't Lefty's Smiley

New brewpub across from ONEOK Field planned to open next year
http://www.tulsaworld.com/scene/food/new-brewpub-across-from-oneok-field-planned-to-open-next/article_cb9e6b4d-3e95-5bf0-beb3-fb78e054a068.html
The founder of a Tulsa brewery and the man who helped revitalize downtown with the McNellie’s Group restaurants are joining forces to start a brewpub.
Eric Marshall and Elliot Nelson are planning a sports bar and brewpub by ONEOK Field in spring or summer of next year.
The planned location is across the street from the ONEOK Field ticket windows in the old Gates Hardware building, 216 N. Elgin Ave.
“We are just in the early stages of development,” Marshall said. “Elliot found the spot and had the concept and all of that. My role is to handle the brewery side of things.
“We will have four to six house beers brewed on premises that are 3.2 percent ABW (alcohol by weight) and have numerous other beers that are regular strength. The production size will be a 7-10 barrel system.
“It’s a cool building. I walked through it yesterday, and it’s exciting picturing the brewpub in there. Elliot and I have a great working relationship, and I’m excited to be part of the project.”
Nelson, whose group already has six restaurants in the downtown area, said he is planning a special menu for the brewpub.
“It will be a broad menu, and it will vary from what we serve at McNellie’s Pub,” he said. “We’re really excited to be part of that neighborhood. We’ve had a lot of requests to put in a good sports bar downtown.”
According to the McNellie’s Facebook page, a name for the brewpub has not been determined. The posting reads:
“Any name ideas? ‘Front Office’ is the favorite right now with ‘Wheelhouse’ and ‘Elgin Park’ as close seconds.”
The brewpub is just one of a number of developments in the ONEOK Field area underway or planned for the future.
A restaurant and pub, Lefty’s on Greenwood, 10 N. Greenwood Ave., is slated to open in the fall. It is on the southeast corner adjacent to the ballpark.
Among other projects are two hotels, TownePlace Suites on Elgin Avenue on the southwest corner from the ballpark and Holiday Inn Express & Suites, which will take a portion of the block bounded by Archer Street, Detroit Avenue, Elgin Avenue and the railroad tracks.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2014, 12:54:22 pm »

With the two hotels coming, should be a smashing success.  Curious with it’s proximity to McNellie’s how much this might cannibalize business from their tap room.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2014, 01:52:12 pm »

With the two hotels coming, should be a smashing success.  Curious with it’s proximity to McNellie’s how much this might cannibalize business from their tap room.

I think there is still plenty of room for expansion downtown without cannibalization, especially with residential and hotel expansions meaning more people to serve.  The two also appear to be offering different things.  I would doubt that the Marshall's 3.2 on-site beers will be available at McNellies and I doubt McNellies' massive selection will be available at the new place.  The new place also appears to be branding itself as a dedicated sports bar so people will go to watch games.  McNellies will still be more of an Irish-themed neighborhood social pub with a massive beer selection.  I think the sports bar theme will be successful because there just aren't any dedicated sports bars in downtown.
Jeff P
Civic Leader

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2014, 04:04:01 pm »

I think there is still plenty of room for expansion downtown without cannibalization, especially with residential and hotel expansions meaning more people to serve.  The two also appear to be offering different things.  I would doubt that the Marshall's 3.2 on-site beers will be available at McNellies and I doubt McNellies' massive selection will be available at the new place.  The new place also appears to be branding itself as a dedicated sports bar so people will go to watch games.  McNellies will still be more of an Irish-themed neighborhood social pub with a massive beer selection.  I think the sports bar theme will be successful because there just aren't any dedicated sports bars in downtown.

Agreed.

Joe Momma's and/or Fassler have kind of been the de facto "sports bars" downtown.  I hope they really do make this place a real dedicated sports bar, with tons of large TVs, NFL Sunday Ticket, etc.
davideinstein
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2014, 06:12:49 pm »

So they can't serve anything over 3.2%?
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2014, 06:34:04 pm »

So they can't serve anything over 3.2%?

As a brewpub, no...however, I can seem to remember brewpubs being allowed to sell beer to walkups at higher than 3.2...if my memory hasn't escaped me.  I thought Coach's in Bricktown did that way back.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2014, 08:04:18 pm »

Where’s it located in Springdale, just so I know when we head over that way.

A bit to the north as you head to Rogers/Bentonville
joiei
City Father

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2014, 08:26:59 pm »

Macadoodles in Springdale. When you get to 540 on 412 take the turn north on540 then take the first exit. Go left over the freeway and bingo. You are there.

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2014, 08:54:35 pm »

Macadoodles in Springdale. When you get to 540 on 412 take the turn north on540 then take the first exit. Go left over the freeway and bingo. You are there.

I wonder if the OHP is there. The real Keystone Cops used to sit by liquor stores in New Jersey and Maryland, especially after PA raised the liquor tax, and radio back to their comrades the license tags of PA customers. That came to an end when the FCC busted them for radio use out of their jurisdiction. At least that is the story I heard.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2014, 10:19:13 pm »

Should be same breweries represented at Missouri locations, more, or fewer?  I was impressed at the selection in Joplin, of all places.  Back in the day, Joplin was simply a place to find “6 point” Busch within 40 miles of Grand Lake.  Of course we all know now “6 point” of anything BudCoorsMiller is a lie.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 10:20:59 pm by Conan71 » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org