A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:19:44 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tulsa to Host Gaming Convention in 2015 - XPO 2015  (Read 6956 times)
ex-riverman
Citizen

« on: August 13, 2014, 12:02:21 pm »

http://www.tulsaworld.com/scene/artsandentertainment/tulsa-to-host-gaming-convention-next-year/article_1b6feaa1-7222-5b50-bdef-0fd499b8b87e.html

Tulsa to host gaming convention next year

By JERRY WOFFORD World Scene Writer  |  0 comments 

Tulsa will be home to a new regional gaming convention next year, with organizers hoping to showcase the latest in electronic gaming developed locally and nationally.

XPO will take place Oct. 1-4, 2015, at the Cox Business Center. The convention will feature a variety of platforms for electronic gaming — from the latest console platforms, PC gaming, mobile and tablet. The event will also feature panel discussions with industry leaders, developers and more.

"Across the nation, there is a buzz about video gaming and events that happen around them," said Ray Hoyt, senior vice president of VisitTulsa and the Tulsa Sports Commission.

Hoyt said organizers, which include VisitTulsa, the George Kaiser Family Foundation, SMG and New Medio, plan to bring to Tulsa some of the biggest names in the video game industry from Microsoft and Sony to EA and Blizzard. The event will also feature Tulsa-based video game developers to show the potential for creative development at home, Hoyt said.

That includes Matt Harmon, director of the downtown Tulsa-based Bonozo Games.

"I can tell you this city wants an event of this focus and magnitude," Harmon said.

Tulsa and the region have hosted much smaller gaming events in the past, but it was lacking that appeal from a national event, he said. It needed a little push to make it a regional and national draw, and XPO may be that push, he said.

"You could feel that there's a need for a much larger one and really make a buzz," he said.

Candace Brenner, a Tulsa native who is now the director of global brand marketing for Sony Online Entertainment, said in a press release announcing the event that it's events like the one planned for next year in Tulsa that help grow not only the industry locally, but to simply enjoy the marriage of art in technology in video games.

“The best thing about regional gaming conventions is that they provide an opportunity for game publishers and developers to interact with their fans first hand,” Brenner said. "I always enjoy getting to know our fans and players and really having one-to-one dialogues. It’s so much more meaningful to the development process. Plus, selfishly, it’s just a place where I can get excited and share my passion for games with friends and colleagues."

Developers and vendors who wish to participate can sign up for additional information at XPO2015.com. More information about the event will be released over the coming months. Tickets for XPO will be available starting next summer. Ticket details have not yet been announced.

Jerry Wofford 918-581-8346
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 12:32:18 pm »

Very cool.

Power is nothing till you use it.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 12:40:43 pm »

Ex-Riverman?

onward...through the fog
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 12:43:51 pm »

Ex-Riverman?

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 02:49:18 pm »

Interested to see how this pans out. I see they convinced the local money to fund it, so that's good.

I hadn't heard of Bonozo before so I checked out the apps they published.

It appears no-one else has heard of them either. Between 3 apps, they had a total of 1 review.

I'm also not really sure what his games do, based on the description/screenshots.
rdj
City Father

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 03:07:49 pm »

Looks like a lot of the same group that started Tulsa Tough.

I like the effort to start our own events rather than try and lure new ones here.  Homegrown events are more likely to stick around and you can leverage local talent plus keep more money in the community.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org