A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:27:11 am
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 20   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: One less QT today  (Read 99622 times)
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #225 on: March 05, 2015, 11:44:53 am »

Did you kinda forget about the lack of evidence to charge the shooter cop with civil rights violations?

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/megyn-kelly-loses-it-over-ferguson-report-hands-up-dont-shoot-did-not-happen/

It's called the "straw that broke the camel's back" syndrome - one seemingly small event/occurrence that brings about a disproportionate response WAY out of order to the actual trigger event.  Brings in ALL the other things that were piled up behind it waiting for just such a trigger.

I'm betting there are some big class action lawsuits coming down the pike on this one.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #226 on: March 05, 2015, 01:17:06 pm »

Did you kinda forget about the lack of evidence to charge the shooter cop with civil rights violations?

The DOJ's decision hinged on the validity of Wilson’s stated subjective "belief" that he feared for his safety, not that his safety was actually in jeopardy. 
Half the people in prisons or mental institutions could make the same claim.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #227 on: March 05, 2015, 02:50:49 pm »

The DOJ's decision hinged on the validity of Wilson’s stated subjective "belief" that he feared for his safety, not that his safety was actually in jeopardy.  
Half the people in prisons or mental institutions could make the same claim.

Wouldn't the injuries Wilson sustained tend to lend some credence to that belief...above and beyond what might be considered if there were none visible??

This one...not the fake eye socket one....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/11/24/darren-wilson-injury-photos_n_6216208.html
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 02:54:42 pm by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #228 on: March 05, 2015, 06:18:25 pm »

Wouldn't the injuries Wilson sustained tend to lend some credence to that belief...above and beyond what might be considered if there were none visible??

You mean the bruise he got after he "feared," yet made the decision to escalate a verbal encounter into violence?

All the DOJ did was provide discovery for the civil trial.  The family will get justice there, but the taxpayers will be the ones punished.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #229 on: March 05, 2015, 08:30:44 pm »

You mean the bruise he got after he "feared," yet made the decision to escalate a verbal encounter into violence?

All the DOJ did was provide discovery for the civil trial.  The family will get justice there, but the taxpayers will be the ones punished.

Goes to a question that will probably never be answered.  Seems to be a consensus that the bruising event happened while cop was still in the car.  Did it happen before the gun was brandished the first time or after?  That is the crux of the matter.

Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #230 on: March 08, 2015, 09:12:57 pm »

Goes to a question that will probably never be answered.  Seems to be a consensus that the bruising event happened while cop was still in the car.  Did it happen before the gun was brandished the first time or after?  That is the crux of the matter.

15 reasons Justice report resembles Tulsa:

http://www.newsweek.com/15-most-outrageous-examples-police-misconduct-department-justice-report-311434

In an April 2014 communication from the Finance Director to Chief Jackson and the City Manager, the Finance Director recommended immediate implementation of an “I-270 traffic enforcement initiative” in order to “begin to fill the revenue pipeline.” The Finance Director’s email attached a computation of the net revenues that would be generated by the initiative, which required paying five officers overtime for highway traffic enforcement for a four-hour shift. The Finance Director stated that “there is nothing to keep us from running this initiative 1,2,3,4,5,6, or even 7 days a week. Admittedly at 7 days per week[] we would see diminishing returns.” Indeed, in a separate email to FPD supervisors, the Patrol Captain explained that “[t]he plan behind this [initiative] is to PRODUCE traffic tickets, not provide easy OT.” There is no indication that anyone considered whether community policing and public safety would be better served by devoting five overtime officers to neighborhood policing instead of a “revenue pipeline” of highway traffic enforcement. Rather, the only downsides to the program that City officials appear to have considered are that “this initiative requires 60 to 90 [days] of lead time to turn citations into cash,” and that Missouri law caps the proportion of revenue that can come from municipal fines at 30%, which limits the extent to which the program can be used. See Mo. Rev. Stat. § 302.341.2. With regard to the statewide-cap issue, the Finance Director advised: “As the RLCs [Red Light Cameras] net revenues ramp up to whatever we believe its annualized rate will be, then we can figure out how to balance the two programs to get their total revenues as close as possible to the statutory limit of 30%.”

At times, the constitutional violations are even more blatant. An African-American man recounted to us an experience he had while sitting at a bus stop near Canfield Drive. According to the man, an FPD patrol car abruptly pulled up in front of him. The officer inside, a patrol lieutenant, rolled down his window and addressed the man:

Lieutenant: Get over here.

Bus Patron: Me?

Lieutenant: Get the fu*k over here. Yeah, you.

Bus Patron: Why? What did I do?

The lieutenant ran the man’s name for warrants. Finding none, he returned the ID and said, “get the hell out of my face.” These allegations are consistent with other, independent allegations of misconduct that we heard about this particular lieutenant, and reflect the routinely disrespectful treatment many African Americans say they have come to expect from Ferguson police. That a lieutenant with supervisory responsibilities allegedly engaged in this conduct is further cause for concern.

https://www.scribd.com/doc/257696868/Ferguson-Police-Department-Report

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #231 on: March 09, 2015, 08:40:35 am »

At times, the constitutional violations are even more blatant. An African-American man recounted to us an experience he had while sitting at a bus stop near Canfield Drive. According to the man, an FPD patrol car abruptly pulled up in front of him. The officer inside, a patrol lieutenant, rolled down his window and addressed the man:

Lieutenant: Get over here.

Bus Patron: Me?

Lieutenant: Get the fu*k over here. Yeah, you.

Bus Patron: Why? What did I do?

The lieutenant ran the man’s name for warrants. Finding none, he returned the ID and said, “get the hell out of my face.” These allegations are consistent with other, independent allegations of misconduct that we heard about this particular lieutenant, and reflect the routinely disrespectful treatment many African Americans say they have come to expect from Ferguson police. That a lieutenant with supervisory responsibilities allegedly engaged in this conduct is further cause for concern.
[/i]

All the evidence from the DOJ on down to local seems to be showing that the incident triggering all this scrutiny actually contained no untoward activity on behalf of the cop.

How ironic would that be if a perfectly reasonable response and outcome is the catalyst that brings to light all the other injustice being done in Ferguson as well as the rest of the country...?

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #232 on: March 09, 2015, 03:47:58 pm »

How ironic would that be if a perfectly reasonable response and outcome is the catalyst that brings to light all the other injustice being done in Ferguson as well as the rest of the country...?

Not at all ironic.  Not even a tiny bit.

It would be a complete disaster and political nightmare if Eric Holder's investigation turned up no injustice.  A young man gets shot by a cop after committing a crime.  This probably happens several times a day. . .Has probably happened today. The difference is that this became a political storm.  It was the perfect crop for the locusts to swarm.  The President, Holder, Sharpton, and all of their puppets in the press dawned the mantles of justice ahead of the evidence, in a gruesome competition that destroyed a community.

The DOJ would be incompetent if they found nothing, and the city of Ferguson would surely burn again.

I am confident that if they conducted the same investigation in Tulsa, Las Angeles, Paris, Peabody, Blackrock, Claton, Hulbert, or any other US city, they would be able to uncover identical practices and probably worse.  Sad, but true.

We should be thankful that Ferguson officials chose to use their official conduits of communications, instead of clandestine email servers and phone systems.  That sacrifice probably saved their community from a second round of violence. 

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #233 on: March 10, 2015, 08:11:57 am »

Not at all ironic.  Not even a tiny bit.

It would be a complete disaster and political nightmare if Eric Holder's investigation turned up no injustice.  A young man gets shot by a cop after committing a crime.  This probably happens several times a day. . .Has probably happened today. The difference is that this became a political storm.  It was the perfect crop for the locusts to swarm.  The President, Holder, Sharpton, and all of their puppets in the press dawned the mantles of justice ahead of the evidence, in a gruesome competition that destroyed a community.

The DOJ would be incompetent if they found nothing, and the city of Ferguson would surely burn again.

I am confident that if they conducted the same investigation in Tulsa, Las Angeles, Paris, Peabody, Blackrock, Claton, Hulbert, or any other US city, they would be able to uncover identical practices and probably worse.  Sad, but true.

We should be thankful that Ferguson officials chose to use their official conduits of communications, instead of clandestine email servers and phone systems.  That sacrifice probably saved their community from a second round of violence.

I guess you are right - Define irony. Bunch of idiots dancing on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.

Sad, but true - this does happen in all those other cities.  This one just happened to be at the center of the "perfect storm" to be the one this time for attention.

So rather than just decrying the 'badness' of the response, where is the response to the root cause?

See reply #225 above about straws and camels...

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #234 on: March 11, 2015, 02:52:41 pm »

I guess you are right - Define irony. Bunch of idiots dancing on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.

Sad, but true - this does happen in all those other cities.  This one just happened to be at the center of the "perfect storm" to be the one this time for attention.

So rather than just decrying the 'badness' of the response, where is the response to the root cause?

See reply #225 above about straws and camels...

The response is well worth talking about. 

A society is in decay when it makes makes martyrs out of madmen.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #235 on: March 11, 2015, 03:32:52 pm »

The response is well worth talking about. 

A society is in decay when it makes makes martyrs out of madmen.

A society in decay is due to no response to a root cause.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #236 on: March 11, 2015, 03:54:59 pm »

A society in decay is due to no response to a root cause.

I am confused here. What is the "root cause" you either are referring to or believe exists?

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #237 on: March 11, 2015, 04:25:29 pm »

I am confused here. What is the "root cause" you either are referring to or believe exists?

Are you serious with that question?  Or just playing devil's advocate??  (PLEASE say 'devil's advocate'...!!)

In case someone out there actually doesn't get it, it goes to the whole discussion for the last few days - the items addressed in the DOJ report.

And not really a 'belief'.... it's a conclusion based on observation and analysis of a series of events of record.  But then there are those out in the world that do believe the planet is no more than 6,000 years old and that it is flat.  And turtles all the way down....

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #238 on: March 11, 2015, 06:47:11 pm »

Are you serious with that question?  Or just playing devil's advocate??  (PLEASE say 'devil's advocate'...!!)

In case someone out there actually doesn't get it, it goes to the whole discussion for the last few days - the items addressed in the DOJ report.

And not really a 'belief'.... it's a conclusion based on observation and analysis of a series of events of record.  But then there are those out in the world that do believe the planet is no more than 6,000 years old and that it is flat.  And turtles all the way down....

I want you to tell me what the "root cause" is for whatever is ailing you over Fergusun? The DOJ issued a report about one police department, a report incidentally that undercut the whole "hands up, don't shoot" crap that caused millions (?) of people's panties to get wrenched around.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #239 on: March 12, 2015, 12:22:41 am »

Well this is interesting.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/two-police-officers-are-shot-in-ferguson/article_eda6589f-d0fc-5420-8489-787a218a6d83.html

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 20   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org