A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:56:33 am
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 20   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: One less QT today  (Read 99322 times)
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #150 on: September 17, 2014, 09:15:30 am »

What does this have to do with the Ferguson incident?

Mmm cops are bad.  Mkay

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #151 on: September 17, 2014, 12:48:56 pm »

Don't you know? Cams can only be used as evidence against the police, not work for them...

Maybe that's what the United States District Court for the Northern District of Oklahoma was thinking four years ago?

As far as being able to freely stop and start dashcam recordings at will; that sort of on-the-fly editing just adds more suspicion.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #152 on: October 03, 2014, 06:50:34 pm »

FERGUSON, Mo. (AP) — About a dozen protesters were jailed after being arrested during Thursday's protests in Ferguson, and it has some local officials and rights groups questioning if police overreached.

A small number of people gathered outside Ferguson police headquarters, and just before midnight, officers began moving toward the protesters, who were chanting, used plastic restraints on their wrists and put them in a van, according to Gabrielle Hanson, who was at the scene while her mother, CNN freelancer Mary Moore, shot video. Moore was arrested, Hanson was not.

The reason for the arrests wasn't immediately clear. Patricia Bynes, a Democratic committeewoman from the Ferguson area who was at the protest, said protesters were cited for violating a noise ordinance.

“What a remarkable display of making your own rules as you go,” said Bynes. “They took the journalist who was doing her job and wasn’t involved.”

The protesters were taken to a jail in neighboring St. Ann, and some were placed on 24-hour hold, Bynes said.

"Holding people unnecessarily long, arresting them when it's not necessary — that's an indication of overreach," ACLU attorney Rothert said. "It certainly appears that the purpose is to discourage people from coming to Ferguson to protest."

Hundreds of people have been arrested during nearly two months of protests in Ferguson, including journalists and clergy. The Rev. Osagyefo Sekou was arrested Monday after he sat down on the sidewalk with other protesters and was charged with failure to disperse — a misdemeanor that is the most common charge protesters have faced.

Hanson said Moore was shooting video of the arrests for CNN when officers confiscated her news camera.

Hanson said the family had received no explanation from police, and that she had not heard from her mother as of Friday morning.

"Nobody really knows what's going on," she said.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #153 on: October 06, 2014, 03:14:18 pm »

Mmm cops are bad.  Mkay

Just because you haven't experienced the "thrill" yet, doesn't mean it ain't happening.... in a big way....way too often!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #154 on: October 08, 2014, 08:42:06 pm »

Freaky Wednesday in OKC this afternoon!  It is wild west shootout at the OK(C) corral day!!  I'm staying tonight about 1/2 mile from the shooting this afternoon.  Have been listening to sirens and watching news helicopters all evening hovering around.  Almost thought about walking over to see what was going on, but that would have meant walking over to see what was going on....    Looks like there were 5 or 6 total involved in this shooting/carjacking scenario.  One woman killed - probably the hostage, couple cops wounded, couple punks wounded, 3 or 4 more arrested.

I'm betting drug involvement somewhere along the line....

Luckily, I know some side roads....saw the roadblocks but didn't get slowed down.

Cops are like everyone else - some good, some bad, some just regular people -  there were some good ones out there today!  

« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 08:46:08 pm by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #155 on: October 18, 2014, 04:59:04 pm »

Just because you haven't experienced the "thrill" yet, doesn't mean it ain't happening.... in a big way....way too often!

BREAKING NEWS:  Cop uses stock phrase to excuse deadly force.             Shocker.

You are walking, and someone pulls up to you close enough to reach out and grab you.
In their other hand, you notice a gun, and you have a split second to save your life.
Would you react by trying to push the gun away, or even try to grab it?
The cop was the only one with a gun in his hand, so keep in mind who was actually in fear for thier life.

DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #156 on: October 20, 2014, 09:50:30 am »

He's coming back for round two. But it's not racist.  Roll Eyes

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2799230/al-sharpton-returning-ferguson-four-days-order-draw-national-attention-death-unarmed-st-louis-teenager-michael-brown.html

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #157 on: October 20, 2014, 11:36:21 pm »

A bit of a sidebar, but relevant:

This weekend’s outbreak of pumpkin-fueled mayhem in Keene, N.H., provoked two equally incredulous reactions. First: Seriously — riots at a pumpkin festival? Second: Seriously — tear gas at a riot at a pumpkin festival?
The college-age rioters may have truly believed they were just fighting for their right to party, and the police who responded may have honestly believed that Keene was on the brink of civil insurrection, but both badly need a reality check.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/editorials/2014/10/20/pumpkin-festival-chaos-keene-leaves-plenty-blame-around/iiH6IyXZLYcOBLsFtXDKXP/story.html

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #158 on: October 22, 2014, 09:44:14 am »

The official autopsy on Michael Brown shows that he was shot in the hand at close range, according to an analysis of the findings by two experts not involved directly in the case.

The St. Louis medical examiner, Dr. Michael Graham, who is not part of the official investigation, reviewed the autopsy report for the newspaper. He said Tuesday that it “does support that there was a significant altercation at the car.”

Graham said the examination indicated a shot traveled from the tip of Brown’s right thumb toward his wrist.

...which is consistent with a defensive wound, if the officer grabbed him thru the car window with one hand while reaching for his gun with the other (as witnesses have previously said).

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #159 on: October 22, 2014, 09:46:40 am »

The official autopsy on Michael Brown shows that he was shot in the hand at close range, according to an analysis of the findings by two experts not involved directly in the case.

The St. Louis medical examiner, Dr. Michael Graham, who is not part of the official investigation, reviewed the autopsy report for the newspaper. He said Tuesday that it “does support that there was a significant altercation at the car.”

Graham said the examination indicated a shot traveled from the tip of Brown’s right thumb toward his wrist.

...which is consistent with a defensive wound, if the officer grabbed him thru the car window with one hand while reaching for his gun with the other (as witnesses have previously said).

...or if Brown were grabbing the cop through the window.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #160 on: October 22, 2014, 10:00:36 am »

You can show these people all the evidence in the World. But it's now at the point when someone yells FIRE! It can never be put out.

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #161 on: October 22, 2014, 10:08:26 am »

...or if Brown were grabbing the cop through the window.

Either is possible, but only one is likely.

Subsequent actions add more perspective:

Gray said he doesn’t dispute that something happened between Brown and Wilson at the police vehicle. But he wonders why Wilson would go after Brown and perceive him as a threat outside the vehicle, even knowing that Brown had been shot.

“His actions contradict the presence of fear,” Gray said. “You’re fearful, a guy’s running, but you’re going to get out and chase him? How many people do you know chase something that you’re fearful of?”

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/ferguson-officer-told-grand-jury-he-was-trapped-in-his/article_3d9ff30b-311a-545b-859a-5d6ef60debc4.html

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #162 on: October 22, 2014, 11:09:54 am »

Either is possible, but only one is likely.

Subsequent actions add more perspective:

Gray said he doesn’t dispute that something happened between Brown and Wilson at the police vehicle. But he wonders why Wilson would go after Brown and perceive him as a threat outside the vehicle, even knowing that Brown had been shot.

“His actions contradict the presence of fear,” Gray said. “You’re fearful, a guy’s running, but you’re going to get out and chase him? How many people do you know chase something that you’re fearful of?”

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/ferguson-officer-told-grand-jury-he-was-trapped-in-his/article_3d9ff30b-311a-545b-859a-5d6ef60debc4.html

Wouldn't that kinda be the definition of being the cop's job...?

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #163 on: October 22, 2014, 11:23:49 am »

Wouldn't that kinda be the definition of being the cop's job...?

Yes, normally that is part of the job description, and if they do something the new norm is they need to be arrested, indicted, tried and convicted within a few days regardless of any evidence.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #164 on: October 22, 2014, 01:00:58 pm »

Yes, normally that is part of the job description, and if they do something the new norm is they need to be arrested, indicted, tried and convicted within a few days regardless of any evidence.

Can you cite an instance of that actually happening, anywhere?

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 20   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org