A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:02:54 am
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: One less QT today  (Read 96878 times)
Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« on: August 11, 2014, 09:52:20 pm »

The "I was afraid he was going to reach for my gun" excuse didnt work this time.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/08/11/us-usa-missouri-shooting-idUSKBN0GA0Q420140811
http://stmedia.startribune.com/images/630*423/10024841+1mo081014.JPG

Witnesses say Missouri Teen's Hands Were Up When Cop Shot Him
http://abcnews.go.com/US/witness-missouri-teens-hands-cop-shot/story?id=24920358
A woman who says she witnessed the shooting of Michael Brown by a Ferguson, Mo., police officer said the 18-year-old had his hands up when he was killed.

The witness said Brown, 18, had turned around and was facing police with his hands in the air when the officer fired. She said a stray bullet from the police officer's gun hit a neighbor's home.

"I saw him turn around with his arms up in the air and they shot him in his face and chest and he went down unarmed," Piaget Crenshaw said.

"Was the other subject, the deceased, the 18-year-old, armed with a handgun or rifle or any type of weapon at the time? The answer to that is no," said Jon Belmar, chief of the St. Louis County Police Department, which was investigating the shooting by a Ferguson Police officer.

"It is our understanding at this point in the investigation that within the police car there was a struggle over the officer's weapon," Belmar said.
According to the police chief, the officer said he then got out of his vehicle and shot "at a subject."

The outrage in this town of 21,000 began this weekend after a Ferguson police officer shot and killed the teenager Saturday but witnesses said he had been unarmed and had his hands in the air.

Authorities told a different story. The police officer tried to get out of his vehicle just before the shooting, but Brown pushed him back into the car, said St. Louis County Police Chief Jon Belmar.

Brown "physically assaulted" the officer, Belmar said, and the teen tried to get the officer's weapon. Brown was shot about 35 feet from the vehicle, the chief said, declining to provide more details.

Ferguson Police said its cars are not equipped with dashboard cameras.

Anger over the shooting gripped many in Ferguson. Some shouted at police who were at the vigil.

Stoic police in riot gear watched as young men knelt before them, hands up to symbolize surrender

But officers can be heard on video yelling back, calling protesters "fu@king animals."

Antonio French, an alderman in St. Louis, said a QuikTrip gas station was looted and an ATM dragged out.

"The officers did their best. They're only human," Knowles responded, adding that not every one of the 300 police officers present were from the Ferguson department.

A medical examiner will issue a ruling on how many times Brown was shot.

"It was more than just a couple," Belmar said.

Witnesses said Brown did nothing to instigate the shooting and appeared to be surrendering when he was killed.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/11/us/missouri-teen-shooting/

According to Belmar, Brown was walking with a friend in the middle of the street when an officer attempted to exit his vehicle, the Los Angeles Times reported. Police said Brown pushed the officer back into the police car.
Brown then entered the officer’s vehicle and a struggle ensued over the officer’s weapon, according to police. During the altercation a shot was fired inside the car.

The officer and Brown then exited the vehicle and at that point the fatal shooting occurred, Belmar said.

Witnesses have had different accounts.

Dorin Johnson, a friend of the victim, told Fox 2 that he was walking in the street with Brown when the police squad car pulled up. The officer said to "Get the eff onto the sidewalk," he recounted.

Johnson said the officer didn't get out of his police car, but "reach[ed] his arm out the window and grabbed my friend around the neck."

"I witnessed the police chase after the guy, full force," Piaget Crenshaw said. "He ran for his life. They shot him and he fell. He put his arms up to let them know that he was compliant and he was unarmed and they shot him twice more and he fell to the ground and died."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-missouri-police-shooting-20140810-story.html

An Associated Press photographer said police were telling people to go home, but authorities had blocked exit streets off.

Brown "was giving up in the sense of raising his arms and being subdued," Walker told The Associated Press on Monday. The officer "had his gun raised and started shooting the individual in the chest multiple times." The officer then "stood over him and shot him" after the victim fell wounded, Walker said.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOSRQ-c1XW0[/youtube]

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 07:59:05 am »

Kid lives about 4 miles from this and there are a LOT of people pissed about the situation.  Still much to learn about the whole story, but seems to be a stupid cop situation at best....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 08:46:07 am »

Stupid cop situation, yes.  I saw an interview last night with the guy the victim was with when it happened. 

I still fail to understand how is “Let’s get our burnin’ ’n’ lootin’ on!" a justifiable response to situations like this.  I’ve never understood it.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 09:26:14 am »

Stupid cop situation, yes.  I saw an interview last night with the guy the victim was with when it happened. 
I still fail to understand how is “Let’s get our burnin’ ’n’ lootin’ on!" a justifiable response to situations like this.  I’ve never understood it.

Some bullying that spiraled into a murder that spiraled into a riot.   Winner: None.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 10:01:32 am »

I'm sure QT will be in all kind of hurry to rebuild in that area of town. Way to go outstanding citizens. Another burned and boarded up building to sit empty for years. And then b!tch about why no businesses want to open on our side of the city.  Roll Eyes

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 10:34:59 am »

I'm sure QT will be in all kind of hurry to rebuild in that area of town. Way to go outstanding citizens. Another burned and boarded up building to sit empty for years. And then b!tch about why no businesses want to open on our side of the city.  Roll Eyes

Where they gonna git their blunts ’n’ malt liquor now?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 10:54:20 am »

QT must have made a mistake in judgement by locating in this dangerous neighborhood. The owner says they don't do that. Thats why there are so few QT's in north Tulsa. Right?

There are two types of unreliable evidence. One is first hand witnesses, especially groups. The other is cop reports after they've had a chance to group up and get their stories straight. When the cell phones are analyzed and the commercial camera evidence is gathered, you have a better idea of what really happened. Of course no cameras in the squad cars or on the patrolmen? Yeah, that figures.

Riots are the result of greed, perceived injustice, ignorance and a violent culture. I'm sure that if they had the good jobs, the good education, the strong family life that you guys benefitted from, they would be able to see how shortsighted looting and burning is. But they don't and they instead draw from what they know and exert power in the basest form.

One more city I can cross off my escape list.

onward...through the fog
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 12:01:12 pm »

QT must have made a mistake in judgement by locating in this dangerous neighborhood. The owner says they don't do that. Thats why there are so few QT's in north Tulsa. Right?

There are two types of unreliable evidence. One is first hand witnesses, especially groups. The other is cop reports after they've had a chance to group up and get their stories straight. When the cell phones are analyzed and the commercial camera evidence is gathered, you have a better idea of what really happened. Of course no cameras in the squad cars or on the patrolmen? Yeah, that figures.

Riots are the result of greed, perceived injustice, ignorance and a violent culture. I'm sure that if they had the good jobs, the good education, the strong family life that you guys benefitted from, they would be able to see how shortsighted looting and burning is. But they don't and they instead draw from what they know and exert power in the basest form.

One more city I can cross off my escape list.

http://demographics.coopercenter.org/DotMap/

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 09:17:13 am »

Now that Al has shown up. Can Jesse be to far behind?
And whats with hiring Trayvon Martins Attorney? He did such a bang up job on that case.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2723523/Stand-man-Grieving-mother-Michael-Brown-pleas-cop-shot-son-come-forward-police-refuse-reveal-officers-name.html

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2014, 09:28:46 am »

Opportunistic criminals.

The looters have little or nothing to do with any justifiable response to this tragedy.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2014, 09:56:35 am »

Now that Al has shown up. Can Jesse be to far behind?
And whats with hiring Trayvon Martins Attorney? He did such a bang up job on that case.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2723523/Stand-man-Grieving-mother-Michael-Brown-pleas-cop-shot-son-come-forward-police-refuse-reveal-officers-name.html

When I lived up there, Al showed up to protest the highway construction on I70 because no black-owned contractors were chosen to do the construction.  He and a group of people joined hands, formed a human chain, and shut down the highway for a day.  The Mayor responded by arresting him.  After his release, he snuck away, but not before the Schnuck's market, and several other businesses to the north of where I lived, were looted in the name of fairness.  After that, Schnuck's on North Delmar always had an armed police presence in the parking lot.

The fact that minority-owned HWY contractors were included in the RFP, but none of them responded, was of little concern to Sharpton.  In attempt to avoid future protest, the city put together an education program for minority contractors to train them on how to respond to government RFPs, this of course would have been the constructive action that Sharpton's group could have lobbied for if they really cared about minority inclusion. 

Regardless, Sharpton kept showing up every time there was a big project that went to a white contractor.  He got lots of good press in St. Louis, and is quite the hero.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2014, 01:10:22 pm »

With all the grief Tulsa gets from its history, it's worth noting that when these sort of atrocities happen here, we arent out in the streets rioting like people would expect a city with our 'rep to be.
I just think that says something very positive about Tulsa.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2014, 04:09:50 pm »

With all the grief Tulsa gets from its history, it's worth noting that when these sort of atrocities happen here, we arent out in the streets rioting like people would expect a city with our 'rep to be.
I just think that says something very positive about Tulsa.

Too apathetic to riot.

Grin

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2014, 02:11:30 am »

Still much to learn about the whole story, but seems to be a stupid cop situation at best....

I think I know you are channeling...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrP9LPA7Ueg[/youtube]

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2014, 02:14:19 am »

Regardless, Sharpton kept showing up every time there was a big project that went to a white contractor.  He got lots of good press in St. Louis, and is quite the hero.

Really?

http://thehayride.com/2014/08/brilliant-al-sharpton-goes-to-st-louis-gets-heckled-unmercifully/

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org