A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:41:08 am
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: School Lunches  (Read 41415 times)
guido911
T-Town Elder

« on: August 11, 2014, 01:02:36 am »

I just read that one school district is opting out of federal school lunch program.

Money that could pay for textbooks and technology must be redirected to pay for green beans and whole-grain hot dog buns.

It simply wasn't economically feasible anymore, said Kirchner. "The program is heading in the wrong direction," he said.

So his school board opted out. It will still offer lunch – a healthful lunch, he said – at the same prices.

Children who get free or reduced-price lunches – about 17 percent of the student body – will still get them at that price.

Only now, the school district will absorb the cost – more than $260,000 a year – rather than use federal funding to cover it.

Schools throughout the nation are grappling with the same decision.

Nationwide, 1 million fewer students are choosing a school lunch each day, according to the National School Nutrition Association.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/education/2014/08/09/district-drops-federal-lunch-program/13847169/

Is there any similar movement with school lunches in the public schools around town? Any new complaints say, within the past 2-3 years or so?

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 07:21:55 am »

My children love the lunch at their schools. They seem to be getting quality and nutritious meals for little money.

Here is the menu for middle school. The lunch costs $2.65.
http://www.tulsaschools.org/1_Administration/03_STAFF_MEMBERS/_DEPARTMENTS/child_nutrition/_documents/pdf/menus/MS_Lunch.pdf

Here is the menu for high school. It costs the same amount.
http://www.tulsaschools.org/1_Administration/03_STAFF_MEMBERS/_DEPARTMENTS/child_nutrition/_documents/pdf/menus/HS_Lunch.pdf

Power is nothing till you use it.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 01:07:17 pm »

My children love the lunch at their schools. They seem to be getting quality and nutritious meals for little money.

Here is the menu for middle school. The lunch costs $2.65.
http://www.tulsaschools.org/1_Administration/03_STAFF_MEMBERS/_DEPARTMENTS/child_nutrition/_documents/pdf/menus/MS_Lunch.pdf

Here is the menu for high school. It costs the same amount.
http://www.tulsaschools.org/1_Administration/03_STAFF_MEMBERS/_DEPARTMENTS/child_nutrition/_documents/pdf/menus/HS_Lunch.pdf

When I was in high school, there was almost a restaurant style lunch service. They had the everyday standards (burgers/pizza/fries/salad), then the "daily specials" which was 2-3 entree options. This, on top of a snack bar.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 01:52:21 pm »

High schoolers and their civil disobedience.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2725462/Thanks-Michelle-Disgusted-teens-country-pose-alongside-healthy-food-vending-machines-protest-absence-tasty-snacks.html

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 01:53:44 pm »

Sounds like they need the Ferguson police with some tear gas and rubber bullets....

Oh, yeah...almost forgot.... Hey, kids -  waa, waaa, waaaaa!!

« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 01:55:48 pm by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 03:52:42 pm »

The 2,800-student district joins a small but growing number of school districts across the country – mostly wealthy districts who can afford to forfeit the money – who have dropped out of the federal program in the wake of stricter nutritional standards.

Schools said students don't like the unsalted potatoes, low-fat cheese or the mandatory fruits and vegetables. They throw food away or decide not to eat at all.

Translation:
Stuck up brats who want McDonalds and Chipotle refuse to eat healthy food and the school would rather cater to the kids even if it means less money.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 04:41:03 pm »

I know someone who is about to get an audit. Wow.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYRc1HQHj4A#t=128[/youtube]

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 07:37:57 pm »

A story that touches on school lunches, but more about keeping costs down at a college.

http://hotair.com/archives/2014/08/18/cool-mitch-daniels-teams-with-amazon-to-bring-down-textbook-costs-for-purdue-students/

sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 09:15:21 am »

That school lunch thing is supposed to avoid starving kids- then on the other hand I read about all the kids who are overweight and how weight problems are a serious issue for children. Which is it are children going hungry or are they over weight and obese? I'm not sure if a school can opt out of a federal program if they do they may lose federal money too.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014, 09:19:33 am »

Michelle Obama is into telling others what to eat while she herself scarfs down burgers and fires and Obama smokes. With the Obamas it's do as I say & not as I do. Michelle Obama eats greasy foods while she tells everyone else to eat spinach & broccoli. Michelle should at least practice what she preachs, if she did she would not be gaining all that weight.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2014, 09:21:39 am »

Michelle Obama is into telling others what to eat while she herself scarfs down burgers and fires and Obama smokes. With the Obamas it's do as I say & not as I do. Michelle Obama eats greasy foods while she tells everyone else to eat spinach & broccoli. Michelle should at least practice what she preachs, if she did she would not be gaining all that weight.

Have you had dinner with the Obamas?  Sounds like you have intimate knowledge of their habits these days.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2014, 10:52:16 am »

Yeah, she's a real fatty
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2014, 11:06:47 am »

Yeah, she's a real fatty

SHOPPED

But yeah, Sauer's a raving lunatic and needs to up or lower his meds.

Or, if the posts are part of a thesis and we're the study, then kudos to him/her.
sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2014, 09:41:39 am »

Pictures can't always be believed today they can be changed and altered or photoshopped. It won't take much to shed  a few pound off of Michelle's Obamas picture. From what I seen Michelle Obama is a bit on the heavy side and that's Not from a diet of greens & veggies, more like a diet of fries, burgers and fat foods.

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2014, 09:54:17 am »

Pictures can't always be believed today they can be changed and altered or photoshopped. It won't take much to shed  a few pound off of Michelle's Obamas picture. From what I seen Michelle Obama is a bit on the heavy side and that's Not from a diet of greens & veggies, more like a diet of fries, burgers and fat foods.

You are a nonsensical pig. Post a picture of yourself so we can criticize you. If not, shut up.

Here is a picture of her dunking a basketball. She looks fine to me.

http://twitpic.com/dsy47x

Power is nothing till you use it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org