A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:11:25 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who is on the Citizen Advisory Team to the Zoning Code Update?  (Read 5397 times)
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« on: May 10, 2015, 06:00:15 pm »

I'm perplexed.  I can't find a list of the people who are serving as the "Citizen Advisory Team" to the Zoning Code Update.

You can still see the list of people who served on the PlaniTulsa CAT, and you can see who's currently serving on a small area plan CAT, but for some reason, the City doesn't have a list of people serving on the CAT for the Zoning Code Update.

Here's what the PlaniTulsa website says about this group:
"What is the citizen advisory team?
The Mayor has appointed a citizen advisory team to assist with the project and to serve as an important touchstone to the broader community of interests in Tulsa. This group is responsible for offering advice on issues and for helping keep the lines of communication open with the community as a whole. They have been active participants in the creation of the public review draft zoning code."

That's great, but who are they?  This is disturbing to me, and I'm upset that I didn't question this sooner.

I know that "visionary developer" Joe Westervelt has been a prominent member; and that supposedly some subset of the CAT hired the equally "visionary" Wayne Alberty as a consultant to the...uh...effort to preserve the status quo.  But why can't I find a list of the citizens overseeing this public effort?

The frustrating thing to me is that Tulsans emphatically rejected the status quo as a model for future growth.  The zoning code must support the goals of PlaniTulsa for us to achieve that vision.

And while there is a lot of great new stuff in the zoning code, there are a lot of weird "easter eggs" that impede that vision, and make it difficult or impossible to utilize some of the new tools. At the same time, there are some weird things like MPDs which are basically just PUDs on steroids, with absolutely nothing to rein in the tired old trend of "one-off" zoning as seen in the PUD...except the MPD truly gives developers carte blanche to do whatever they please.  This warrants its own thread, as PlaniTulsa specifically states that Tulsa should focus on long-range planning with citizen involvement, instead of one-off PUDs.

This is why it's critical for normal citizens to get involved and voice your opinions about what you want for Tulsa.  Reading and trying to understand the zoning code is not sexy but it's critical.

I urge everyone to attend the public meeting on Wed 5/13 at Rudisill Library from 6-8 PM. (1520 N Hartford Ave)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 06:10:38 pm by PonderInc » Logged
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 08:20:40 am »

Hey - it's the magic of the TN forum.  The CAT is now listed on the PlaniTulsa website.

Chip Ard
Michelle Cantrell
Tom Cooper
Blake Ewing
Roy D. Johnsen
Paul Kane
Jerry Ledford, Sr.
Dwain Midget
Jim Turner
Joshua A. Walker
O.C. Walker
Joe Westervelt
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 08:59:38 am »

Hey - it's the magic of the TN forum.  The CAT is now listed on the PlaniTulsa website.

Chip Ard- VP at Integra Realty Resources (according to Linked In)
Michelle Cantrell- Former chair of the TMAPC. 
Tom Cooper-  President of the W.K. Warren Foundation
Blake Ewing- Also has a development background, though I do believe he has somewhat better vision.  His stance on a few development issues though don’t seem like the “old Blake” to me.
Roy D. Johnsen-  Real estate attorney, pleads many cases to the TMAPC
Paul Kane-  CEO and executive VP of the Tulsa HBA
Jerry Ledford, Sr.- CEO Tulsa Engineering & Planning
Dwain Midget- I believe he’s been on the TMAPC for quite some time.  Works under the mayor as the director of community development, has been a COT employee (largely under the mayor) since 1984.
Jim Turner- Architect
Joshua A. Walker- Current TMAPC member and developer
O.C. Walker- I believe former TMAPC member
Joe Westervelt- Developer, close ties to QT

So, looks like a lot of every day citizens on this advisory team.  No agendas here, move along. Roll Eyes

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2015, 07:49:22 am »

Just FYI.

Public Hearing Draft: The Latest Draft is Now Available

Submitted by ProjectTeam on Wed, 09/09/2015 - 9:01am

in Zoning Code Update

The latest draft of the Tulsa Zoning Code Update, the Public Hearing Draft, is now available.  The first public hearing, before the Tulsa Metropolitan Area Planning Commission, is on September 28.  You can attend the Public Hearings to speak or listen, and you can watch them on TGOV.

http://zoningcode.planittulsa.org/news/public-hearing-draft-latest-draft-now-available

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2015, 03:48:36 pm »

I admit most of what I have reviewed has been limited to my area of study, but it doesnt look like this latest iteration has taken into account much of the public comments and suggestions.
Its obvious someone has done some research (and borrowed from other municipalities), but the lighting section is so full of holes and disabling language that it in some instances appears to weaken what little avenues of relief exist under the present code.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org