A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:38:19 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prayer Not Unconstitutional  (Read 5869 times)
guido911
T-Town Elder

« on: May 05, 2014, 05:20:43 pm »

Interesting ruling today from the Supremes.

This morning the Supreme Court held in Town of Greece v. Galloway, that the town’s practice of beginning legislative sessions with prayers does not violate the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment. It was a 5-4 decision, split along traditional right-left lines, though there is not a clear majority opinion.
Justice Kennedy wrote for the Court, joined by the Chief Justice and Justice Alito in full and Justices Scalia and Thomas in part.  Scalia and Thomas refused to join part Part II-B of Kennedy’s opinion, which concluded that a “fact-intensive” inquiry of the specific practice at issue in this case did not unconstitutionally coerce individuals to engage in religious observance. Justice Alito wrote a concurring opinion, joined by Justice Scalia. Justice Thomas wrote an opinion concurring in part and concurring in the judgment, joined by Justice Scalia in part. On the other side, Justice Breyer wrote a dissenting opinion for himself, and Justice Kagan wrote a dissent joined by Justices Breyer, Ginsburg, and Sotomayor.  The opinions are here.
Justice Kennedy’s decision appears to rest squarely on the Court’s decision in Marsh v. Chambers, which upheld the state of Nebraska’s practice of opening legislative sessions with a state-appointed chaplain.  Although the practice might appear to constitute an establishment of religion under the Lemon test, the Court in Marsh noted that such legislative prayers date back to the First Continental Congress and concluded that such a well-established tradition could not violate the Establishment Clause.   Thus unless the Court were willing to overturn Marsh, the only way to invalidate the prayer at issue here would be to conclude that it was more sectarian or more coercive.  Justice Kennedy’s opinion for the Court concludes:
The town of Greece does not violate the First Amendment by opening its meetings with prayer that comports with our tradition and does not coerce participation by nonadherents.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2014/05/05/breaking-supreme-court-upholds-legislative-prayer-in-town-of-greece-v-galloway/

I am reading a lot about "tradition" from judicial opinions lately.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 06:13:20 pm »

This doesn't touch on the legal aspect, but is interesting as one person's opinion on a closely related subject:

http://www.wnd.com/2005/10/32839/

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 08:40:03 pm »

Huh Huh Huh Huh

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 09:35:02 pm »

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2014/05/05/breaking-supreme-court-upholds-legislative-prayer-in-town-of-greece-v-galloway/

I am reading a lot about "tradition" from judicial opinions lately.

Radical, reactionary, unelected judiciary creating law out of thin air.... destroying the Constitution!  Taking us away from the intent of the founding fathers!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 10:16:20 pm »

Radical, reactionary, unelected judiciary creating law out of thin air.... destroying the Constitution!  Taking us away from the intent of the founding fathers!

Don't make me bust out the "pic" as to the source of that last post.   

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 03:56:03 pm »

On the topic, I don't know how I missed this little nugget earlier this year:

Evidently, the former Chief Justice of the State of Alabama (I know, I know)...thinks the Constitution is great!.....if you're a Christian.

Some words of wisdom from this gem....

“Buddha didn’t create us, Mohammed didn’t create us, it was the God of the Holy Scriptures”

“They didn’t bring the Koran over on the pilgrim ship,”

That last quote, is probably true.  But last I checked, wasn't this nation founded because of religious persecution?

http://annistonstar.com/view/full_story/25038433/article-HOT-BLAST---Let-s-get-real--over-Christians-only-Constitution--says-Roy-Moore

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 12:39:50 pm »

That last quote, is probably true.  But last I checked, wasn't this nation founded because of religious persecution?

Partially.  They came here to escape the persecution at home, AND to establish their own theocracy to perform THEIR form of religious persecution.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 08:09:57 pm »

The real key to this ruling, from my reading of the decision, lies in the fact that they have prayers from all religions. As long as they aren't refusing any particular religion from leading a prayer, they pass the constitutional test. It's similar to when Tulsa let an atheist lead the "prayer" for the council meeting not too long ago.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 05:17:00 pm »

The real key to this ruling, from my reading of the decision, lies in the fact that they have prayers from all religions. As long as they aren't refusing any particular religion from leading a prayer, they pass the constitutional test. It's similar to when Tulsa let an atheist lead the "prayer" for the council meeting not too long ago.

+1.  Which I think is solid ground.

Where the challenge came in was when you have a small town like this, where the prayer was ALWAYS a particular kind of Christian prayer (one sect, I recall which one).  If a person in that small town was Muslim/Jewish or some unpopular religion, it would take a strong person to speak up.  It isn't that they COULDN'T, simply having the perception that the town has adopted Christianity as their religion can be a problem.

Interestingly, the religion in the majority on the Court had no problem with the Court.  Those of other religions dissented.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2014, 10:04:44 pm »

+1.  Which I think is solid ground.

Where the challenge came in was when you have a small town like this, where the prayer was ALWAYS a particular kind of Christian prayer (one sect, I recall which one).  If a person in that small town was Muslim/Jewish or some unpopular religion, it would take a strong person to speak up.  It isn't that they COULDN'T, simply having the perception that the town has adopted Christianity as their religion can be a problem.

Interestingly, the religion in the majority on the Court had no problem with the Court.  Those of other religions dissented.

That's a big reason why you see so much consistency in small town attitudes, reactions, etc.... a minority - religious or otherwise - isn't gonna say their real thoughts many times, if they plan to stay there.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2014, 05:17:16 am »

Here we go...

http://theweek.com/article/index/261360/speedreads-florida-man-wants-to-open-town-council-meeting-with-satanist-prayer

Just doing this as a gag, he claims.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 05:18:58 am by guido911 » Logged

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2014, 12:03:44 pm »

Getting a tad silly now. 

Restaurant's 'Prayer Discount' Sparks Mix Of Praise, Anger

http://publicradiotulsa.org/post/restaurants-prayer-discount-sparks-mix-praise-anger

When Jordan Smith got her tab after breakfast at Mary's Gourmet Diner in Winston-Salem, N.C., she was pleasantly surprised to find a 15 percent discount — for "praying in public."

Smith, on a business trip, tells HLN that she and her colleagues "prayed over our meal and the waitress came over at the end of the meal and said, 'Just so you know, we gave you a 15 percent discount for praying.' "

Smith then snapped a photo of her receipt, complete with a line item for "15% Praying in Public ($6.07)" and posted it to her Facebook page. Not surprisingly, it's gone viral.

Some wondered if it was just another social media hoax, but the diner's own Facebook page appears to confirm it's for real. Many responded like Arlene Wilson Focht, who wrote on the diner's page:

Dave Moore was among those who questioned whether the restaurant would give the same discount to people who offered public prayers that weren't of the Christian variety:

... Several pointed out that praying in public is frowned upon by the New Testament passage Matthew 6:5:

Others wondered aloud if the restaurant's practice amounts to discrimination. The Department of Justice says that the Civil Rights Act of 1964 prohibits discrimination based on religion in a public accommodation, such as a restaurant. What's not immediately clear is whether the diner's practice qualifies as discrimination.

We put in a call to the DOJ for clarification and will update this post if we hear back.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2014, 12:34:02 pm »

Getting a tad silly now. 

Restaurant's 'Prayer Discount' Sparks Mix Of Praise, Anger

http://publicradiotulsa.org/post/restaurants-prayer-discount-sparks-mix-praise-anger

Kinda reminds me of a tattoo I saw quoting Leviticus 18:22....while obviously oblivious to Leviticus 19:28.....

Well, what can you expect from people who "pick and choose" their beliefs, morality, and behavior??!!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org