A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:42:35 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Attorney Fee  (Read 2360 times)
DolfanBob
City Father

« on: July 29, 2014, 03:38:23 pm »

I know some of you on here are Attorney's or have a better knowledge about Attorney fees.
My under age Son has been accused by a under age young lady, that he inappropriately touched her breast in gym class and filed a Police report.
It has been reviewed by the Tulsa D.A. and is still at Juvenal Court over on Gilcrease Drive.
We have retained a Attorney friend who I have used in the past and referred to other people who have also used this person.
We have went to the review of the charges before they were submitted to the D.A. Office. And just last week we went to the first appearance before the Judge assigned to the case. She has now set another Court date for later next Month because the first date would not work for our Attorney.
So far we have paid our Attorney 500 Dollars for two Court appearances and I have been told today that the total will be 1000 Dollars if it does not go to trial and 1500 Dollars if it does.
This Attorney friend seems to be going through some financial shortfall at this time and my question is this. The amount for this type charge to me seems a little high. What say you my forum friends?
He works part time and makes very little every two weeks. And I am all about him learning his lesson. But a 1000 to 1500 dollar boob squeeze is kinda ticking me off in more ways than one.

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 06:56:47 pm »

My standard billing rate is $250 an hour.  I charge the same for courtroom and non courtroom time - some people charge different rates.  Of course, the right client often negotiates a lower rate for a volume of work. The right case would be contigency.

While I don't do juvenile work, I don't think you are being robbed.

But I do agree that a $1k boob squeeze is crazy.  I know your sons story from another angle, and third parties familiar thought it had faded away.  While your boy should have been in trouble, criminal charges seem to be a waste.  Teach him its wrong (whatever consequence that means), but a Courtroom for a single incident boob squeeze in Jr high?  Doesn't sit right with me.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 07:20:37 pm by cannon_fodder » Logged

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 07:08:45 pm »

Just make sure he pays for it so you have no out of pocket....problem solved...in more ways than one.

Plus the fines/court costs, etc.   

All sounds slightly excessive, but we got a real anal society these days about a whole lot of stuff.  And like CF says, there are two sides....and generally that means two participants. 

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 09:40:03 pm »

And I am all about him learning his lesson. But a 1000 to 1500 dollar boob squeeze is kinda ticking me off in more ways than one.

So would having to register as a sex offender for life. 
Hopefully your court will exercise better judgement than some have in the past.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 07:19:38 am »

See if you can get it steered toward Kurt Glassco....he lets attempted murderer's get a pass, so surely this should be considered less than that....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org