A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 12:43:17 am
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Steps to Nowhere  (Read 17938 times)
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2014, 01:11:45 pm »

The fate of this land depresses me.  I'm almost to a point where I can't talk about it anymore.  Considering I drive by it every day on my home from the office its frustrating to say the least.

That's good....nested levels of meaning...

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2014, 01:38:14 pm »

If he can hold on a few years, the product will be regarded as an innovator. Assuming a revolution of neckbeards doesn't burn the building down. I read in PC mag a poll that indicated increasing distrust and disfavor with the internet and pc's in general. Too early to see a trend other than older generations not embracing technology. But still, lots of youngers who are dropping the internet as fast as they did newspapers and periodicals. Once tablets are cheap, plentiful and easy to use, newspapers and periodicals may re-emerge. This period of undocumented rumor reported as news, politics as "fact", anonymous character assassination and hideous lack of regard for history may subside. 

This cycle is particularly distressing as the hordes seem to be obsessed with all things conservative. Ted Cruz??? Jeez. Its like watching OU/OSU fans emerge when the programs are successful.

onward...through the fog
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2014, 01:41:40 pm »

This period of undocumented rumor reported as news, politics as "fact", anonymous character assassination and hideous lack of regard for history may subside.  

This cycle is particularly distressing as the hordes seem to be obsessed with all things conservative. Ted Cruz??? Jeez. Its like watching OU/OSU fans emerge when the programs are successful.

Probably won't subside - that's why Rupert bought the Wall Street Journal....

Let's see if the RWRE get as worked up about where Cruz was born - since he really was NOT born in the US, so is NOT a natural born citizen.... for everyone else in the extremist right, that means he is not eligible to be President - by definition.

He is secretly trying to bring Cuban Communism to the US!!!

« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 01:45:58 pm by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
davideinstein
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2014, 02:41:51 pm »

This Land is such a positive beacon for Tulsa’s pride.   Cool

Granted Tulsa has had some really myopic leadership, but I’m tired of the constant crap on what Tulsa isn’t instead of focusing on what it is from TLP.

If they want to crap on Tulsa, they should move to Houston and join Davazz. 

Not only that, but they ALWAYS crap on Oklahoma State University at any chance. What was once, and sometimes still is, a very good publication, just rubs me the wrong way at times. Be proactive, not reactive.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2014, 02:46:20 pm »

If he can hold on a few years, the product will be regarded as an innovator. Assuming a revolution of neckbeards doesn't burn the building down. I read in PC mag a poll that indicated increasing distrust and disfavor with the internet and pc's in general. Too early to see a trend other than older generations not embracing technology. But still, lots of youngers who are dropping the internet as fast as they did newspapers and periodicals. Once tablets are cheap, plentiful and easy to use, newspapers and periodicals may re-emerge. This period of undocumented rumor reported as news, politics as "fact", anonymous character assassination and hideous lack of regard for history may subside. 

Even broadcast media isn’t entirely honest anymore.  You need to read or listen to several accounts of anything which has happened politically to get to the truth.  There’s very little integrity left in journalism.  It’s not near like it used to be when you and I were a part of it, Aqua.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2014, 03:14:34 pm »

Agreed. These are unhappy times for those who seek truth and facts. Broadcast is entertainment. At least print leaves behind a hard copy that can be fact checked and bias proofed.

onward...through the fog
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2014, 04:39:54 pm »

I know it won't happen for awhile but so want to think that the continued development of downtown, specifically the Brady, will provide the impetus for developing this site.  It would take convincing the city that the land west of MLK should be returned to a residential community while OSU would still have the land to the west for its future expansion.  This could be one of the first large-scale New Urbanism redevelopments in the city if done right.  Of course I'm a young optimist but just what I've seen happen downtown in the past 10 years has been pretty incredible and this seems to be the next stone to fall.

carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2014, 02:57:54 pm »

I know it won't happen for awhile but so want to think that the continued development of downtown, specifically the Brady, will provide the impetus for developing this site.  It would take convincing the city that the land west of MLK should be returned to a residential community while OSU would still have the land to the west for its future expansion.  This could be one of the first large-scale New Urbanism redevelopments in the city if done right.  Of course I'm a young optimist but just what I've seen happen downtown in the past 10 years has been pretty incredible and this seems to be the next stone to fall.

It needs to be residential, agreed. But I think the college needs to build housing there to kick start a residential boom. Property values are still fairly depressed in Brady Heights so it's hard for new residential construction to get a toe hold right now. Personally I'm a huge fan of Brady Heights, I often go through and admire the housing stock, but I think lots of Tulsans hold a mistaken negative view of the area.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2014, 04:35:38 pm »

I don't think you can rely on OSU to build the housing themselves, but rather zone the mostly empty area north of I-244, east of Boulder and south of John Hope Franklin to higher density residential that would be for apartments targeting both downtown professionals and OSU students.  The land north of John Hope Franklin and west of MLK would be single family residential where development would more closely resemble what used to be there and the adjacent Brady Heights neighborhood.  OSU would have everything on its campus and east to the tracks north of I-244 for future expansion.  I would also include the land north of the campus on Sunset Hill as medium density residential replacing the low income apartments there.  Keep all commercial development in existing corridors in Brady south of I-244, especially along Main.

Don't we have some forumers that live in Brady Heights?  I would be interested in their opinions.

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2014, 07:02:00 pm »

Conan,

I'm not from here... I knew bits of that story, but putting it all together really shed some light on that area for me.

Dwelling on the past is a vice.  But knowing history so we can learn from it is imperative.  We repeated the same mistake with Bell's, with every empty lot downtown, with every canceled bus line...  Our city's long term planning is nonexistent.

And of course we are an oligarchy.  The entire country is.  A new study shows that even wildly popular notions fail if they are opposed by top lobbies.   http://m.bbc.com/news/blogs-echochambers-27074746

Surely this will get better with the introduction of more money into politics...

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
TulsaRufnex
Soccer Curmudgeon
Philanthropist

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2014, 09:16:36 am »

I don't think you can rely on OSU to build the housing themselves, but rather zone the mostly empty area north of I-244, east of Boulder and south of John Hope Franklin to higher density residential that would be for apartments targeting both downtown professionals and OSU students.  The land north of John Hope Franklin and west of MLK would be single family residential where development would more closely resemble what used to be there and the adjacent Brady Heights neighborhood.  OSU would have everything on its campus and east to the tracks north of I-244 for future expansion.  I would also include the land north of the campus on Sunset Hill as medium density residential replacing the low income apartments there.  Keep all commercial development in existing corridors in Brady south of I-244, especially along Main.

Don't we have some forumers that live in Brady Heights?  I would be interested in their opinions.

Owen Park-er here.
I experience civic pride every time I walk out the door and stand on my porch.   Grin

I'd like to point out the elephant in the room: David L Moss Criminal Justice Center (aka The County Jail).

The vibe I've gotten from the folks who live in the Brady Heights neighborhood is one where they tend to drive places (same as other Tulsans) because the neighborhood itself (which includes alot of renters) doesn't inspire much confidence in perceived public safety.  The neighborhood is only a few blocks walk to the Brady District, yet I'd be hard-pressed to tell you exactly how many residents of that area would care to take a walk past the jail, the Salvation Army, and John 3:16 Mission to have a night on the town... so, yeah... even downtown areas that theoretically should be pedestrian friendly are... well... NOT.

I'd also venture to guess that if given the choice, most in that neighborhood would want to vote as part of District 4 and not District 1.
My neighborhood was recently added to District 4 and there are no regrets here...

***also, This Land Press reminds me a bit of the Chicago Reader with lengthy stories that seem at times too self-important and self-indulgent... but this story was relatively short and pretty informative... and, as the resident soccer guy on this forum, I'd hate to leave out the comprehensive story about what's going on with the Drillers and the Athletics... http://thislandpress.com/06/04/2014/the-soul-of-the-game/***

« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 09:39:45 am by TulsaRufnex » Logged

“Critics are like eunuchs in a harem; they know how it's done, they've seen it done every day, but they're unable to do it themselves.”
― Brendan Behan  http://www.TulsaRoughnecks.com
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2014, 10:17:46 am »

The western and eastern ends of Brady are night and day different, and I agree walking along Denver by the jail is not a pleasant experience.  A streetscape through there would be an improvement but still not great.  I do think Boulder could a great alternative though and could be the ped connection Brady Heights needs to grow.

TulsaRufnex
Soccer Curmudgeon
Philanthropist

« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2014, 10:03:10 pm »

Unfortunately, walking from Brady Heights down Boulder is... well... sparse... for the foreseeable future.
There's so little foot traffic there, that I'd rather walk down Denver, believe it or not... "safety in numbers" meets "the devil you know"...

“Critics are like eunuchs in a harem; they know how it's done, they've seen it done every day, but they're unable to do it themselves.”
― Brendan Behan  http://www.TulsaRoughnecks.com
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2014, 10:05:46 pm »

Unfortunately, walking from Brady Heights down Boulder is... well... sparse... for the foreseeable future.
There's so little foot traffic there, that I'd rather walk down Denver, believe it or not... "safety in numbers" meets "the devil you know"...

I have some great stories of the area from 30+ years ago best shared over a beer.  Ah, the stupidity of youth!

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
rdj
City Father

« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2014, 08:37:40 am »

The western and eastern ends of Brady are night and day different, and I agree walking along Denver by the jail is not a pleasant experience.  A streetscape through there would be an improvement but still not great.  I do think Boulder could a great alternative though and could be the ped connection Brady Heights needs to grow.

Boulder should be the connector for downtown and Brady/Reservoir Hill greater N Tulsa.  The intersection of Boulder/Main/John Hope Franklin would be a great spot for a roundabout/traffic circle similar to S Elgin/10th/11th.  Other than Denver I believe Boulder (via Main north John Hope Franklin) is the only street that connects from Pine to 21st/Riverside.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org