A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:32:43 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Steps to Nowhere  (Read 17813 times)
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« on: June 19, 2014, 03:53:59 pm »

Great article on the poor planning, antiquated thinking, broken promises and generally suck that is our city planning... Focusing on the "near north side" from Greenwood to stovepipe hill.

Walkable mixed use neighborhoods.  A trolley than ran every 7 minutes.  A density of mall business.  50 years ago we had what we want... And we planned to destroy it for something better (just like Bells!).
http://thislandpress.com/06/18/2014/steps-to-nowhere/?read=complete

Long, but worth the read.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 07:47:22 pm »

This Land is such a positive beacon for Tulsa’s pride.   Cool

Granted Tulsa has had some really myopic leadership, but I’m tired of the constant crap on what Tulsa isn’t instead of focusing on what it is from TLP.

If they want to crap on Tulsa, they should move to Houston and join Davazz. 

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 07:55:20 pm »

This Machine Whines A Lot
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 08:11:54 pm »

Is that it's Native American name?  Like Dances With Wolves or Stands With A Fist?

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 08:44:04 pm »

Well played...

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 10:57:00 pm »

Yeah....reality IS such a b$tch!!  Just gotta hate when it is brought up!!

That is going on now in Broken Arrow old town.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 10:59:39 pm by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 07:53:10 am »

Past is prologue.

Conan, I don't care much for the publication, likely for the same reasons you have, but our history is the only way institutions can learn from their errors and the flawed processes that created them. I was in my teens when the area north of downtown was ravaged and had no voice. As an adult I am surprised at how blind and voiceless the population was at that time. We were an oligarchy.

onward...through the fog
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 08:43:14 am »

Past is prologue.

Conan, I don't care much for the publication, likely for the same reasons you have, but our history is the only way institutions can learn from their errors and the flawed processes that created them. I was in my teens when the area north of downtown was ravaged and had no voice. As an adult I am surprised at how blind and voiceless the population was at that time. We were an oligarchy.

My mantra for a long, long time....

I don't read it very often, but am curious why you and Conan don't care for the mag?  (I don't really like it or not like it - no opinion on that either way.) 

We still are an oligarchy.  Nothing has changed in 30 years....little has changed in 60 years in that respect.  (Little Dewby versus Big Dewby type changes...)

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2014, 09:10:13 am »

You can be a product of your past or a victim of your past.  TLP seems to play the victim card more than I care for.

As to the article posted above, Bates is a very gifted talent and his research is usually impeccable. 

AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2014, 10:20:59 am »

I wouldn't narrow it to an either or decision, but it seems to me that whether you're a product of the past or a victim, you need to know the details of the past.

I don't care for it because its too ....yellow dog? The sensationalism they seem to crave resulted in poor results in the Brady District episode. If they want to be agents for change, they need to make sure the change they foment is legitimate, insightful and progressive (progressive in a non political way) rather than self-serving. Change for change sake is immature.

All that said, I do appreciate a different voice in the city other than paid for programming.

onward...through the fog
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2014, 10:27:23 am »

We still are an oligarchy.  Nothing has changed in 30 years....little has changed in 60 years in that respect.  (Little Dewby versus Big Dewby type changes...)

Perhaps. The oligarchy has been bruised a bit by a non partisan council and the overt segmentation of the city. Developers, oil, religion, and race have always, and will always, determine our fate.

I kind of liked big Dewby. Liberal by todays standards.

onward...through the fog
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2014, 11:01:51 am »

Perhaps. The oligarchy has been bruised a bit by a non partisan council and the overt segmentation of the city. Developers, oil, religion, and race have always, and will always, determine our fate.

I kind of liked big Dewby. Liberal by todays standards.

I see what you did there.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2014, 11:41:11 am »

You make me look more clever than I am. Just saw the play on words! Very funny.

H....did you mean to double entendre with that Dewbie reference?

onward...through the fog
rdj
City Father

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2014, 12:27:48 pm »

The fate of this land depresses me.  I'm almost to a point where I can't talk about it anymore.  Considering I drive by it every day on my home from the office its frustrating to say the least.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2014, 01:10:12 pm »

You make me look more clever than I am. Just saw the play on words! Very funny.

H....did you mean to double entendre with that Dewbie reference?

Do I ever do mean anything simple when it can be complex?  Absolutely yes I meant it.

Would like to get to triple entendre if I could....just not quite that bright yet...

I guess it could almost get there - Dewbie for Dewey, the guy that is outdoors gathering dew overnight... and the obvious, but that really should have been spelled Doobie....oh, well, can't always get what ya want....  (catch that reference?)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org