A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:52:25 am
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Williams buying Access Midstream  (Read 14009 times)
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2014, 03:48:29 pm »

I disagree entirely. The BOK Tower and the two Williams Buildings (I assume that’s what you are talking about) are all great buildings for the style they represent. They just aren't quite old enough to be nostalgic yet. In 10-15 years they will be considered iconic, especially the BOK Tower with it's ties to the World Trade Center.

This is how it works. Everyone likes new shiny buildings (unless it’s cheap crap like Cimarex) and don’t like the aging buildings that the new ones are replacing. The previous generation of buildings look old and out of date next to new ones. But, once a building hits about 50 years old they start to become “classic”. It’s why buildings that are 30-40 years old and functionally obsolete are always in so danger of being torn down, they are old and out of date but not yet old enough to be classic and worthy of saving.

We need to learn to appreciate good buildings from any era.

I can see that.... I go to antique stores on occasion looking for tools and in the last 5 to 10 years have noticed how things have become classic that I used when a kid into my 20's.  Some things I still have and use - 5 gallon oil metal oil cans!!  I have seen 3 DX bulk 5 gallon oil cans in the last couple of years with prices of $40 to $60 on them....the one I use for lawn mower gas is better shape than any of them!  Have one red one, with a blue one as spare in case the red goes bad.... Top row, first 3 in the row;

https://www.google.com/search?q=dx+5+gallon+oil+can&client=firefox-a&hs=FZN&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=sb&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=VragU4GMPNSqyASWhIGADg&ved=0CB4QsAQ&biw=1402&bih=728

I bought a couple of plastic cans to start using instead....

Those buildings could/should have been built somewhere else - there are/were plenty of places to put them that would not have required destruction of the buildings they took place of.  Out by Eastland would have been good - solid rock base to put them on!!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Weatherdemon
Civic Leader

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2014, 07:20:23 am »

Wow!
I am thrilled to hear BOk is wanting to build another tower!!
I am torn on size though. I think it is significant to the community and national perception to have the tallest tower in the area but...
Multiple 40 story buildings would really add more to downtown from a functional perspective.

I love our skyline, especially from the south and west. It's OK from the north but I don't care for the view from the east.

Regardless of what they do, 2, 30-40 story buildings or a new 50-60 story tower, it will be a great thing for downtown!
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2014, 09:39:50 am »

Wow!
I am thrilled to hear BOk is wanting to build another tower!!
I am torn on size though. I think it is significant to the community and national perception to have the tallest tower in the area but...
Multiple 40 story buildings would really add more to downtown from a functional perspective.

I love our skyline, especially from the south and west. It's OK from the north but I don't care for the view from the east.

Regardless of what they do, 2, 30-40 story buildings or a new 50-60 story tower, it will be a great thing for downtown!

Not a certainty by any means, just rumors at this point.  I do think either BOK or Williams will need more space soon, and whether that's a significant new downtown tower, a smaller building adjacent or leasing more space in an existing building, remains to be seen.

DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2014, 01:32:51 pm »

When was the last tall building downtown done?  Huh

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2014, 01:39:01 pm »

Tall is subjective but I think Cimarex was completed in 2013.  17 Stories
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2014, 04:26:21 pm »

Tall is subjective but I think Cimarex was completed in 2013.  17 Stories

I mean't as opposed to wide.  Grin

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2014, 06:56:08 pm »

One Technology Center (2001) and Cimarex (2013) are the only 10+ story towers built downtown since the mid-80's.  Was the Mid-Continent addition the last 20+ story building downtown, completed in 1984?

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2014, 07:49:57 pm »

One Technology Center (2001) and Cimarex (2013) are the only 10+ story towers built downtown since the mid-80's.  Was the Mid-Continent addition the last 20+ story building downtown, completed in 1984?

Wow, had never thought of it that way before   Undecided

We have probably torn down one or two during that time as well.   Inching forward though.  Is millimetering forward a word/phrase?

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2014, 08:12:14 pm »

Mid-Continet, was mid 80's but there was also OneOk/ONG that was also built in the 80's I believe.
Weatherdemon
Civic Leader

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2014, 08:23:31 pm »

Not a certainty by any means, just rumors at this point.  I do think either BOK or Williams will need more space soon, and whether that's a significant new downtown tower, a smaller building adjacent or leasing more space in an existing building, remains to be seen.

I know. I really love the thought it is rumor enough for mention.

As for Williams and BOK. I don't know. Williams is running tight on space but also has empty floors in the tower that are theirs that they seem more interested in leasing than utilizing for themselves. They are growing but if WPX can't recover from their rough start that could open up a lot of space.

BOK should be build their own BOK Tower IMO ;o)
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2014, 09:03:47 pm »

WD,

Other than space in the Dirty IceCube, I've been told by friends at both BOK and Williams that they are out of space and renovating under utilized areas for more cubicle space.  These people aren't strategic planners or anything... Are they mistaken? 

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2014, 10:34:22 pm »

WD,

Other than space in the Dirty IceCube, I've been told by friends at both BOK and Williams that they are out of space and renovating under utilized areas for more cubicle space.  These people aren't strategic planners or anything... Are they mistaken?  

Just the fact they are disciples of Action Office II (cube farmers) tells you they are not that clever....well known Fail for efficiency, productivity, etc.  

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Jeff P
Civic Leader

« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2014, 03:59:17 pm »

WD,

Other than space in the Dirty IceCube, I've been told by friends at both BOK and Williams that they are out of space and renovating under utilized areas for more cubicle space.  These people aren't strategic planners or anything... Are they mistaken? 

I can't speak for BOK, but that's true on the Williams part.

We completely renovated the WRC (Williams Resource Center -- where the ice rink and what-not used to be) a few years ago and are in the process of renovating a lot of our floors in the tower.

I wouldn't say we've completely filled our space in the tower, but it has to be close.  The last I heard, the entire "Williams Center" which includes the tower, the WRC and lobby-level tenants was like 98% full.

As for the Access Midstream acquisition, it could potentially create some modest growth in the Tulsa office, depending on how any consolidation of corporate functions play out, but my personal guess is that our Tulsa growth will just follow a more steady trajectory of business growth as it has for the past 10 years or so. 

The fact of the matter is that we have three big office locations that all include some "corporate" type functions - Tulsa, Houston and Salt Lake City...  they generally include the support for some big aspect of operations that are generally tied geographically to those offices... 

Salt Lake is Northwest Pipeline and some Western U.S. gathering and processing; Tulsa is HQ, plus Western gathering & processing, and some NGL & petchem services (mid-continent storage and transportation); Houston is Transco pipeline, Gulf of Mexico gathering/processing and some NGL/petchem.  We have growing office locations in Pittsburgh and Calgary that support our operations in the NE U.S. and Canada, respectively.  OKC would logically include support functions for the ACMP assets, which are primarily mid-continent.  (But they also have some assets in the Northeast and the West, so it will be interesting to see what happens there.)

** Just for clarification sake -- none of the above isn't based on any inside knowledge -- just my opinions ***
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2014, 09:03:24 pm »

I mean't as opposed to wide.  Grin

I'm not afraid of heights,.....I'm afraid of widths!!

Weatherdemon
Civic Leader

« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2014, 10:44:33 am »

WD,

I guess it's all a matter of perception. There are some floors woefully under utilized that I have not heard anything about remodeling on.

The remodeling that is being done on some floors certainly maximizes floor space and is very nice though.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org