A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:24:38 am
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: American Soccer Fans Apparently...  (Read 37873 times)
guido911
T-Town Elder

« on: June 10, 2014, 12:25:15 am »

suck. According to this article at least.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/why-i-hate-american-soccer-fans-1402012291
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 12:27:39 am by guido911 » Logged

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
TulsaRufnex
Soccer Curmudgeon
Philanthropist

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 06:01:56 am »

June 7, 2014
Why I Hate the Wall Street Journal
Brazil Nuts - World Cup 2014, Nutcases, Tools, Idiots and/or Scumbags

http://www.bigsoccer.com/blog/2014/6/7/why-i-hate-the-wall-street-journal

"Never mind that no other sport is so linked to the working class."

Because when I want lessons on authenticity and the working class, I turn to the Wall Street Journal.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What IS the joke here?  Ha ha, Americans with their songs and tifo?  Let me tell you a little something about college athletics - they were singing and doing tifo stunts (not by that name, obviously) before the English discovered cooked food.  (So, since last Wednesday.)  

GO USA!!!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgV-XPY0Yc8[/youtube]
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 06:37:04 am by TulsaRufnex » Logged

“Critics are like eunuchs in a harem; they know how it's done, they've seen it done every day, but they're unable to do it themselves.”
― Brendan Behan  http://www.TulsaRoughnecks.com
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 11:43:34 am »

Plenty of fair points.  Also plentyof contradictory statements - don't say we are copying you and that you hate it, and then say we aren't copying well enough. Also, he missed some obvious ones:  DC United is not the result of two teams uniting; Real Salt Lake does not have a royal charter.

America is a melting pot in every way.  As soccer grows it will be Americanized too.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 12:33:02 pm »

Add this to some of the things I have said in the past.....

....the most derivative, excessive and utterly ridiculous collection of sports fans on the planet......

Of course, that's Americans in general when in a European environment...

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
TulsaRufnex
Soccer Curmudgeon
Philanthropist

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 10:28:05 pm »

Add this to some of the things I have said in the past.....

....the most derivative, excessive and utterly ridiculous collection of sports fans on the planet......

Of course, that's Americans in general when in a European environment...

Sometimes you guys really need to lighten up a little...

Silly String rocks!
http://www.koamtv.com/category/164379/video?autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=10254436

« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 10:54:24 pm by TulsaRufnex » Logged

“Critics are like eunuchs in a harem; they know how it's done, they've seen it done every day, but they're unable to do it themselves.”
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 07:48:33 am »

Sometimes you guys really need to lighten up a little...

We got a 'pot calling the kettle black' moment here....

Notice how the first goal, the Tulsa plays body slams the other goalie just for fun.... no, he did not have so much inertia going that he "had" to do that!  Actually the silly string is way cool!!  And I am absolutely certain they cleaned up their mess afterwards - being good stewards of the planet and all.

As for lightening up...I am so light I am about to float away!!  Very liberating feeling. 

In fairness, soccer isn't the only sport that has out of control fans - that is the standard cliche' about kids sports in just about every venue....parents on the sidelines going crazy....  The only sport where that does NOT happen is in the shooting sports.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
TulsaRufnex
Soccer Curmudgeon
Philanthropist

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 05:36:44 pm »

We got a 'pot calling the kettle black' moment here....
No.
What we have is YOU being a dick.

Notice how the first goal, the Tulsa plays body slams the other goalie just for fun.... no, he did not have so much inertia going that he "had" to do that!
Once again, you being a dick.

Actually the silly string is way cool!!  And I am absolutely certain they cleaned up their mess afterwards - being good stewards of the planet and all.
For a third time... you being a dick.

As for lightening up...I am so light I am about to float away!!  Very liberating feeling.
I guess being a dick is really liberating for you.  

The only sport where that does NOT happen is in the shooting sports.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GP5_NQ_LEs[/youtube]
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 05:39:11 pm by TulsaRufnex » Logged

TulsaRufnex
Soccer Curmudgeon
Philanthropist

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 06:42:06 pm »

As a soccer fan for over 35 years who still remembers having to watch the 1990 World Cup on a snowy tv screen in Spanish, this isn't the worst argument to have.

I'm a fan of Everton in the English Premier League because former Tulsa Roughnecks ball boy and son of one of the owners (Joe-Max Moore) played for them a couple of seasons...
I remember arguing with American fans who once thought the future of American pro soccer would be playing all games indoors.
I remember getting disgusted at the faux-fans who'd wear their far-fetched ethnicities on their sleeves and root for every team other than the US of A because "Americans can't play soccer."
I remember getting frustrated at the fans who decided that American women were better soccer players than the men after they beat a handful of nations in the Women's World Cup.

And there's always the well worn refrain of having an acquaintance who knows you love the sport, and therefore finds it irresistible to engage in the ever-popular "Soccer = Rioting & violence" meme, which is almost as much fun as having someone from Podunk, Oklahoma find out you're Italian and engage in the "Every Italian is a card-carrying member of the mafia" meme...  

Just so you know, alot of our local fans enjoy watching the English Premier League -- and frankly, that good-for-nothing WSJ putz from England has no clue who we Tulsans are and what we're all about..... not unlike having some Frenchman talk about how he grew up with the Tour de France and crow about how "derivative, excessive and utterly ridiculous" we Tulsans are as cycling fans.... http://vimeo.com/43947788

English FA Cup audience up 13 percent on Fox
http://www.socceramerica.com/article/58225/english-fa-cup-audience-up-13-percent-on-fox.html
Arsenal overcome a 2-0 deficit to win 3-2 in overtime. The match audience peaked at 1,009,000 viewers from 2-2:15 p.m. ET.
Tulsa led all markets with a 1.7 rating/4 share, followed by Dayton (1.6/4) and Milwaukee (1.4/4).

NBC Scores Highest Overnight Rating in U.S. History for Premier League Opener

And just so you know, yes Tulsa has an "Arsenal" bar... but it's not in a trendy "district" or in midtown... it's on Main Street in Jenks...

That said, you won't find any prawns, boiled meats, or blood pudding at this Saturday's tailgate at Tulsa Athletics Stadium...
Instead, you'll find this... from our good friends at BurnCo...

$5 for non-members also includes beer... mention your TulsaNow handle and Ruf pays your five-spot...
Breast Cancer Awareness Night - Saturday, June 14th
http://www.tulsaathletics.com/news/breast-cancer-awareness-night-saturday-june-14th/
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 07:34:39 pm by TulsaRufnex » Logged

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2014, 07:03:36 pm »

No.
What we have is YOU being a dick.
Once again, you being a dick.
For a third time... you being a dick.
I guess being a dick is really liberating for you.  

Wow!  ZING!!!   What a catchy comeback... well, not really....

I was actually seriously amused by the silly string thing - that was pretty cool.  Even if tremendously dangerous....so in addition to being "good stewards" of the earth by spreading a compound that has been known to never decompose, cause damage to other materials - vinyl anyway, and clog drains and sewage systems, leading to banning in some cities...(I'm starting to see a connection to soccer...), it can actually be fairly dangerous - good thing there were no smokers!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPnX-hx94OU

Too bad there wasn't more intellect to your reply..... some would have spent a little time, put some thought into it, said something truly expressive/interesting.....  well, I guess that's what the whole soccer fan thing at the beginning is all about....  Go back and review some of guido's posts - he occasionally comes up with some good stuff!  Let's review;
http://online.wsj.com/articles/why-i-hate-american-soccer-fans-1402012291

High school graduate, huh??  Name calling all ya got??

Come on - try harder!  Maybe get some friends to help??   Who knows - this could happen;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinite_monkey_theorem

Sometimes, WHO needs to lighten up a bit??

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2014, 07:08:24 pm »

And just so you know, yes Tulsa has an "Arsenal" bar... but it's not in a trendy "district" or in midtown... it's on Main Street in Jenks...

$5 for non-members also includes beer... mention your TulsaNow handle and Ruf pays your five-spot...

I thought Jenks was the trendy district....

I am tempted to show up with "handle", just to see how you would react....!   BurnCo is edible...!

Yeah....I AM an instigator!

TeeDub
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2014, 10:16:42 am »

I am tempted to show up with "handle", just to see how you would react....!   BurnCo is edible...!

I would imagine he would feed you, give you beer and make sure you had a great time.   

I hear that if you drink enough beer, soccer actually becomes watchable.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2014, 10:38:22 am »

I would imagine he would feed you, give you beer and make sure you had a great time.   

I hear that if you drink enough beer, soccer actually becomes watchable.

I like soccer a lot - would rather watch it than NFL.  College football - another story....better than soccer...  They (soccer players) are much better overall athletes, wider range of conditioning/endurance and athletic skills.  Not just a bunch of 300 lb body builders prancing around beating each others brains out for millions of dollars.....and don't even get me started about the owners....

Rugby is even better - for real men, not just "soccer wannabes".....  (Couldn't resist - just had to put something in for Ruf...)

(Let's see who gets tweaked by that in the pro-football camp...!)

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2014, 11:04:08 am »

You simply don’t know BBQ if your impression of BurnCo is “edible”.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
rebound
City Father

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2014, 11:15:00 am »

Rugby is even better - for real men, not just "soccer wannabes"..... 

Rugby is in a class all it's own.   Those guys are toughest bunch of idiots on the planet.  Love rugby.

Day-to-day, not sure whether I'd rather watch a pro soccer game or a pro football game.  But it's World Cup time baby!  Everything else takes a back seat for a while.

DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2014, 12:22:30 pm »

I like soccer a lot - would rather watch it than NFL.(sic)

BLASPHEMER! You all read it! I'll take a couple of pointy ones and a packet of gravel........... Wink

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org