A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:03:10 am
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: American Soccer Fans Apparently...  (Read 38212 times)
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2014, 08:55:30 pm »

USA showed some grit today, after going 2-0 down during the 30 minute overtime following scoreless regulation... so close to tying it up...

and now, for a final parting shot at the turdblossom Englishman who wrote the hack piece for the WSJ... 

Grin

Couldn't watch 'cause that pesky job kept getting in the way, but saw highlights!  That goalie is amazing!!  He really, really, really, really was amazing!

Did I mention the goalie was amazing??

The whole team has done a great job just getting to that point and to keep Belgium in check as long as they did - wow!  Kudoes to the whole gang!  Those guys did NOT lose - Belgium just barely won!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2014, 08:43:24 am »

Scratch my plans to brew any Belgian beers any time soon.   Grin

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2014, 08:54:27 am »

Don't be a sore loser...US team did great, I think!  They certainly didn't "lose" that game....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2014, 10:58:28 am »

Or...
Get brewing.  Every gallon you brew is a gallon of Belgian style beer that you didn't buy that was made in Belgium.

Grin

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2014, 01:24:41 pm »

Or...
Get brewing.  Every gallon you brew is a gallon of Belgian style beer that you didn't buy that was made in Belgium.

Grin

Good point.  I’m starting my Oktoberfest lagers this weekend.  Maybe I can do a Belgian in the next week or so.  Marshall’s did a Belgian style IPA that was incredibly good.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2014, 07:52:25 pm »

May have to rethink my aversion to soccer a little.

http://www.cru.org/ministries-and-locations/ministries/athletes-in-action/tim-howard-the-keeper.htm

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
rebound
City Father

« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2014, 08:55:17 am »

May have to rethink my aversion to soccer a little.

Tim Howard is simply a stud, both on and off the field, and those of us that have been fans for years already knew that.  I'm really happy to see him and the US team get the kudos they deserve.  But are you suggesting that his level of religiousness influences whether or not you like the sport?  I guess whatever it takes as long as people watch, but that makes no sense to me.

TulsaRufnex
Soccer Curmudgeon
Philanthropist

« Reply #52 on: July 04, 2014, 07:48:14 am »

Tim Howard was on my EPL fantasy league team last season-- the "Yankee Toffees"... but, then again, so was Luis "The Biter" Suarez... oops.  

Anyway...... Happy 4th of July!....and here's a 1976 USA versus England match in which most of the "USA" players weren't actual US citizens... you'll see Pele, Giorgio Chinaglia, and... wearing jersey #4 for the USA... none other than the original founder of the Tulsa Soccer Club, Keith Eddy.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Eddy

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNKFedMlqN4[/youtube]
"The English national team defeated a team of NASL All-Stars 3-1 in the USA Bicentennial Cup on May 31, 1976. The game, at Philadelphia's JFK Stadium, was part of the four-nation tournament that also included Italy and Brazil (who won the round-robin with a 3-0 mark). International stars like Pele and Bobby Moore played for the "USA" team."
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 08:04:45 am by TulsaRufnex » Logged

“Critics are like eunuchs in a harem; they know how it's done, they've seen it done every day, but they're unable to do it themselves.”
― Brendan Behan  http://www.TulsaRoughnecks.com
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2014, 03:03:34 am »

But are you suggesting that his level of religiousness influences whether or not you like the sport?  

When it comes to this boring sport, that's about what it takes. Need to have something to cheer for while the equivalent of this is happening.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 03:06:14 am by guido911 » Logged

rebound
City Father

« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2014, 09:26:14 am »

When it comes to this boring sport, that's about what it takes. Need to have something to cheer for while the equivalent of this is happening.

I was thinking about the whole popularity/watch-ability thing this weekend while I was watching the games at my folks house in SW OK.   My family is a big soccer house, but my folks are not (even though I and my brother both played league soccer for several years when we were kids).   During the Argentina/NED match, my daughter blurts out "Look at how  they are playing Messi!  Look at that space!  They're afraid of him!"   And honestly, I wasn't really watching at that level and I'm not even sure it realized Messi had the ball right then.  But that little moment brought a lot of it into focus for me.  Since the actual goals in soccer are few, it is the process of play and the anticipation of a score (rather than the actual score) that makes watching the game so enjoyable.  But to do that, a person really does need a solid appreciation of the fundamentals of the game, and even an understanding of how a particular player plays the position.  And they have to pay attention for 45 minutes virtually non-stop.    I think that we are achieving that critical mass of fans who have that level of expertise, and it's great to see the popularity jumping the way it is,  but I understand where you are coming from.  Most non-fans are at a catch 22.  How do they get the knowledge to appreciate the games without basically forcing themselves to watch initially?   

In contrast, my parents are die-hard Texas Rangers fans and rarely miss a game on Television.   And even though I played for years in leagues and high school,  I simply can't watch the games anymore.  Going to a game?  Yeah, maybe.  But watching one on TV is almost painfully boring.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2014, 01:26:18 pm »

I was thinking about the whole popularity/watch-ability thing this weekend while I was watching the games at my folks house in SW OK.   My family is a big soccer house, but my folks are not (even though I and my brother both played league soccer for several years when we were kids).   During the Argentina/NED match, my daughter blurts out "Look at how  they are playing Messi!  Look at that space!  They're afraid of him!"   And honestly, I wasn't really watching at that level and I'm not even sure it realized Messi had the ball right then.  But that little moment brought a lot of it into focus for me.  Since the actual goals in soccer are few, it is the process of play and the anticipation of a score (rather than the actual score) that makes watching the game so enjoyable.  But to do that, a person really does need a solid appreciation of the fundamentals of the game, and even an understanding of how a particular player plays the position.  And they have to pay attention for 45 minutes virtually non-stop.    I think that we are achieving that critical mass of fans who have that level of expertise, and it's great to see the popularity jumping the way it is,  but I understand where you are coming from.  Most non-fans are at a catch 22.  How do they get the knowledge to appreciate the games without basically forcing themselves to watch initially?   

In contrast, my parents are die-hard Texas Rangers fans and rarely miss a game on Television.   And even though I played for years in leagues and high school,  I simply can't watch the games anymore.  Going to a game?  Yeah, maybe.  But watching one on TV is almost painfully boring.

It will be interesting to see if she maintains that interest for say, another 5 - 7 years (don't know how old she is now but that isn't relevant).  Like how the ad says girls in 4th grade are almost all interested in science and math, but have that driven out of them by high school....keep us posted.  Will check back in 2019....

TulsaRufnex
Soccer Curmudgeon
Philanthropist

« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2014, 06:13:17 pm »

Wrestling Legend "J.R." Jim Ross Calling The Brazil-Germany Highlights
http://screamer.deadspin.com/here-is-j-r-jim-ross-calling-the-brazil-germany-firs-1601968953

“Critics are like eunuchs in a harem; they know how it's done, they've seen it done every day, but they're unable to do it themselves.”
― Brendan Behan  http://www.TulsaRoughnecks.com
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2014, 06:53:37 pm »

Wrestling Legend "J.R." Jim Ross Calling The Brazil-Germany Highlights
http://screamer.deadspin.com/here-is-j-r-jim-ross-calling-the-brazil-germany-firs-1601968953

I stopped watching that bludgeoning at the half.  Soccer needs a mercy rule..at least today it did.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2014, 11:39:36 pm »

DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #59 on: July 09, 2014, 07:20:47 am »

I haven't seen that much whining since the "Brazilian" wax job in the "40 year old Virgin"

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org