A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:24:51 am
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tulsa Tough!  (Read 15269 times)
davideinstein
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2014, 10:34:03 pm »

Every Tulsan needs to attend this.

Seriously awesome. The race today was epic at the end when the rain started with like 3 laps to go.
Ed W
City Father

Re:
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2014, 08:06:50 am »

The final corner is sketchy even when it's dry. The approach is a fast downhill into a sharp right onto the finishing straight. Riders are probably doing 40+.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2014, 03:01:55 pm »

It sounds like fun for the cyclists. I'm no cyclist and don't enjoy cycling. I do like running and plan to do the RiverSide 5000 5K race  next Saturday. I never could get into the sport of cycling, I see cyclists all the time going up & down the Riverside trails as I jog, I have a old 10 speed bike full of cobwebs and two flat tires shows ya how much I bike ride. Not sure if I even still know how to ride a bike it's been that long. Shocked

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2014, 03:05:55 pm »

What do cyclists do when they race and get a flat tire? By the time they fix it they lost a lot of time that can't be made up, from the posts above it looked like people had a ton of fun at Tulsa Tuff, I don't understand the fancy  expensive  bikes and all that cycling gear I don't know much about cycling at all. I guess that's why I stick to the sport of running.  Shocked

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2014, 07:33:35 pm »

What do cyclists do when they race and get a flat tire? By the time they fix it they lost a lot of time that can't be made up, from the posts above it looked like people had a ton of fun at Tulsa Tuff, I don't understand the fancy  expensive  bikes and all that cycling gear I don't know much about cycling at all. I guess that's why I stick to the sport of running.  Shocked

If it’s a criterium (circuit race) you change out the wheel in the designated “wheel pit” and you get your lap back.  If it’s a road race, they have wheel trucks that follow with racers spare wheels.  If you flat in a road race though, you are pretty much out of contention for the win.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2014, 09:33:02 am »

If it’s a criterium (circuit race) you change out the wheel in the designated “wheel pit” and you get your lap back.  If it’s a road race, they have wheel trucks that follow with racers spare wheels.  If you flat in a road race though, you are pretty much out of contention for the win.
OK that's what I figured.  Thanks.

Ed W
City Father

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2014, 01:50:08 pm »

You forgot to tell him about the pit crew: five bikini-clad women who do the wheel change. Actually, only two are assigned to the wheel while the other three pat (not rub) the rider with cold towels in an effort to keep his heart rate up. They're really talented mechanics.

It's a rough sport, I'm telling you.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2014, 12:02:18 pm »

Sunday afternoon they had some bike race from Denver Colorado on TV, I watched part of it. They said some 43 year old cyclist did his last race there, at age 43 your over the hill in cycling so he gave it up, it's a sport for the young. I guess it can be hard on your legs and exausting- I perfer the sport of running over cycling- I never could get into bike riding. It was intresting to watch as they wheeled around downtown Denver, Colorado.

sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2014, 12:09:28 pm »

As for the Tulsa Tuff or other bike races it seems that a bike race is just for the big dogs and not for  the everyday run of the mill regular guy cyclist. You gotta have a $1,000.00 bike and fancy garb and be well trained to take part. Why not do a cycling event that regular bike riders can take part in without having a $1,000.00 bike. The sport of Running welcomes everyone be you a top dog fast runner or just a regular guy who jogs daily, anyone can sign up to do a 5K race or a half marathon race. Can anyone sign up to enter a biking event or do you have to meet certain qulifications?

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2014, 12:49:37 pm »

As for the Tulsa Tuff or other bike races it seems that a bike race is just for the big dogs and not for  the everyday run of the mill regular guy cyclist. You gotta have a $1,000.00 bike and fancy garb and be well trained to take part. Why not do a cycling event that regular bike riders can take part in without having a $1,000.00 bike. The sport of Running welcomes everyone be you a top dog fast runner or just a regular guy who jogs daily, anyone can sign up to do a 5K race or a half marathon race. Can anyone sign up to enter a biking event or do you have to meet certain qulifications?

Uh, there are also noncompetitive events during Tulsa Tough for those who don’t race and/or don’t own a $1000 bike.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Ben
Citizen

« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2014, 12:55:09 pm »

Can anyone sign up to enter a biking event or do you have to meet certain qulifications?

The criteriums during Tulsa Tough and races like Tour de France, Tour of California or The Joe Martin Stage Race are a different category of races. Somebody else will have to comment on how eligibility for those work.

But for big road rides like those that happen during Tulsa Tough or last weekends Hotter N' Hell 100 in Texas anybody can enter much like The Tulsa Run. I can personally attest to having been passed by several people riding $200 mt. bikes while riding my $1000 road bike on such rides. Most big road rides have multiple lengths as well. 100 miles usually being the top (which I suppose is roughly equivalent to a marathon?) , down to 25 or sometimes less miles with lots of options in between (sort of like the 5ks and fun runs). See http://www.tulsatough.com/site/sections/16 for the distances and courses for Tulsa Tough.

I agree, riding has a higher barrier to entrance then running because of the gear...mainly a bike and helmet. But past the bike a lot of the gear is semi optional or optional depending on preference and desired comfort.

Overall I have found biking to be a welcoming group in my on and off recreational riding career. The vast majority of people riding in big recreational road rides probably match up with the people running in equivalent road races in terms of training, motivation, and level of seriousness.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2014, 01:53:51 pm »

The criteriums during Tulsa Tough and races like Tour de France, Tour of California or The Joe Martin Stage Race are a different category of races. Somebody else will have to comment on how eligibility for those work.

But for big road rides like those that happen during Tulsa Tough or last weekends Hotter N' Hell 100 in Texas anybody can enter much like The Tulsa Run. I can personally attest to having been passed by several people riding $200 mt. bikes while riding my $1000 road bike on such rides. Most big road rides have multiple lengths as well. 100 miles usually being the top (which I suppose is roughly equivalent to a marathon?) , down to 25 or sometimes less miles with lots of options in between (sort of like the 5ks and fun runs). See http://www.tulsatough.com/site/sections/16 for the distances and courses for Tulsa Tough.

I agree, riding has a higher barrier to entrance then running because of the gear...mainly a bike and helmet. But past the bike a lot of the gear is semi optional or optional depending on preference and desired comfort.

Overall I have found biking to be a welcoming group in my on and off recreational riding career. The vast majority of people riding in big recreational road rides probably match up with the people running in equivalent road races in terms of training, motivation, and level of seriousness.

You just buy a USAC annual license and you can start crit racing.  Heck you don’t even have to do that, you can buy a one day license the day of the event even if you have never raced before.  Joe Martin stage race is no different for Cat 5 racers (beginners class).  Then you accumulate points based on your finishes and you move up through the categories as your skills and finishes improve.  It goes up through Cat 1, then Pro.

One of the reasons I quit crit racing was the lack of any sort of requirement for bike handling skills.  As you know, there’s some pretty sketchy riders on the road.  Just imagine them hurtling into a corner at high speeds in the middle of a pack of other bikes.

As far as the big tour events like US Pro Challenge, TDF, Tour of California, etc. those are restricted to pro riders only, they are invitationals by team, and the pecking order on the teams is pretty much determined by the teams.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org