A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:16:37 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 29   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shotgun Sams  (Read 190490 times)
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2014, 09:44:15 pm »

He said the treated wood was being used to hold up the pop fountain, not a food surface.

I just enjoyed the rant.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2014, 06:50:29 am »

That was a horrible rant.  You don't attack people like that in this situation and expect sympathy or to get things done, point out what you think are flaws with what they did or the system, but attacking the people, now that really does not show good "mantality".
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 06:52:06 am by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2014, 07:21:38 am »

"mantality".

I was trying to figure out if that was intentionally or unintentionally sexist.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2014, 07:31:17 am »

I never had those kind of problems with the Health Department.  Actually, they have been helpful with insight and information on how to not only make a safe food product, but how to approach/design/build the infrastructure.   I also knew enough to glue the wall panels soundly to the wall ahead of time - before inspection.  And the vent hood - well they gave me options, some of which were less rigorous than what I ended up with, just to make other design elements work better (related to makeup air flow to the space).

Due diligence in reading the code requirements would have told them that unpainted wood is not permitted, unless it is maple specifically designed for food contact.  And did the comment mean to say it was treated wood??  Just what I want in the food zone - chemically treated wood designed to kill stuff....

Was the place ready for operation 4 weeks ago?  (And if so, why not open then??)   If not, then no inspection is meaningful - it is required, by definition on the facility as intended to operate.  4 weeks ago that was probably not exactly how even they wanted to operate.

I was really looking forward to this opening....the apparent lack of attention to detail is disturbing, especially since ALL of these things are specifically defined in the code they should have read and paid attention to.   Cutting these corners leads to questions about what other corners have been cut?

Exactly.

He comes off as a snipey tool who didn’t bother to read the code requirements.  You don’t simply file your papers with the health department and expect them out the next day.

What’s the over/under on how long this place lasts Heir?  +/- six months?

Here’s one thing I don’t understand, I was told these guys bought the pizza equipment from the owners of Pi and this is going into the same spot as Pi.  How is it the kitchen wouldn’t have been ready to go or at least really close to being ready when they signed the lease?

After seeing these rants, I’m not so sure I’d care to eat there.  Bad idea to vent your frustration in social media when:

a) It sounds like a schlocky build-out
b) Your grasp of grammar and spelling are appalling
c) You make it sound as if you are so under-funded that a delay of a few days might tank your business
d) It makes me wonder what attitude is he going to take with patrons when they have a complaint

He would be wise to take down the posts.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2014, 07:35:56 am »

Conan. I couldn't have said it better. +1

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2014, 07:46:41 am »

The guy is getting amazing free press for everything he does.

He must be doing something right.

I am probably not his demographic. We eat pizza as a family quite a bit, but rarely dine in. Atmosphere and games for the kids are not a priority for our decisions.

We like after parties at Hideaway on Cherry Street, bigger parties at Joe Momma's with soccer teams, my wife and I do date nights at Mario's. I will try anything once. If others go, post your thoughts.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2014, 08:11:52 am »

I will try anything once.
Watch out, this is an election year
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2014, 08:21:45 am »

Rant from his personal FB page.  How do you not realize there are permits and fees necessary to open any business, especially one that will sell food and beer?

Okay, Were re-opening A Major player restaurant in the Tulsa area. First we have to play the Tulsa City County Health Departments bull smile. They harass anyone and everyone that wants to legally get into the food business.

First you have to pay the Tulsa City County Health Department $250.00 for them to read a diagram of your floor plan. Then after they approve your plan they come out and inspect your business. Then you have to pay another $300.00 to the State Health Department and another $200.00 to them.

Then if you want to sell beer a connivence for your customers, you have to pay the State of Oklahoma $425.00 for a State Beer license and $250.00 to the Tulsa County Court Clerk.

So then the Good Old City of Tulsa Comes along (Extortion) at it's best.so now you have to pay the City of Tulsa bull smile license fee's of $68.00 for a beer license and another $60.00 for a so-called City license. Oh and this is the kicker you have to pay full price for the City license that expires in 30 days then pay it again. Then you have to go to the forth floor of City of Tulsa and pay another $150.00 for a freaking sign permit.

Then last but not least you have the good old fire marshal, Everyone loves the good old fire marshal and his extortion report. Because lord forbid if the building catches on fire everything they teach us will save our lives. I would rather keep some money and we will save our own lives.

These are true and correct figures that we have spent just to be able to open our doors. Damn near $1500.00 which is obsurd. What these dumb donkey's don't understand, Is the sooner were open, The sooner were paying sales tax...woohoo some more extortion.

This is the craziest smile I have ever seen.........

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2014, 08:25:15 am »

I never had those kind of problems with the Health Department.  Actually, they have been helpful with insight and information on how to not only make a safe food product, but how to approach/design/build the infrastructure.   I also knew enough to glue the wall panels soundly to the wall ahead of time - before inspection.  And the vent hood - well they gave me options, some of which were less rigorous than what I ended up with, just to make other design elements work better (related to makeup air flow to the space).

Due diligence in reading the code requirements would have told them that unpainted wood is not permitted, unless it is maple specifically designed for food contact.  And did the comment mean to say it was treated wood??  Just what I want in the food zone - chemically treated wood designed to kill stuff....

Was the place ready for operation 4 weeks ago?  (And if so, why not open then??)   If not, then no inspection is meaningful - it is required, by definition on the facility as intended to operate.  4 weeks ago that was probably not exactly how even they wanted to operate.

I was really looking forward to this opening....the apparent lack of attention to detail is disturbing, especially since ALL of these things are specifically defined in the code they should have read and paid attention to.   Cutting these corners leads to questions about what other corners have been cut?

I know there have been a few "are you serious" things that have come up here and there on various projects.  But they get fixed and we moved on.  Things like ceiling tiles will be a grumble to fix.  Also a loose backsplash could get food behind it.
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2014, 08:34:53 am »

hasn't there been a high turnover in that spot recently?
have they all been the same owner?
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2014, 09:04:19 am »

Rant from his personal FB page.  How do you not realize there are permits and fees necessary to open any business, especially one that will sell food and beer?

I give them three months. This guy has no idea what he is doing and he's not winning any friends at the state/city/county with this attitude. It's simply stupid for a restaurant to make enemies with the health department before they even open. He thinks this is bad, he should try to deal with ABLE.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2014, 09:15:04 am »

He said the treated wood was being used to hold up the pop fountain, not a food surface.

I just enjoyed the rant.

Me too (enjoyed the rant)!!  A target rich environment!!

Even so, if pop can get to it, it ain't allowed - at least when I talk to the Health people.  And pop will always spill.... every self-serve fountain in the world is a splash zone, with dripping everywhere.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2014, 09:20:35 am »

hasn't there been a high turnover in that spot recently?
have they all been the same owner?

No, different owners.

Doing some research on the “face” of Shotgun Sam’s on OSCN reveals he’s still in litigation over the Knotty Pine in Broken Arrow.  $48,000 owed to a food vendor from Fort Smith for invoices dating from mid Dec. 2012 to the end of January in 2013.  I guess you could rack up that kind of food costs in a hurry, but I’d think a food service company would make a new stand-alone restaurant go COD to start or at least a much shorter leash on credit terms.

Appears they are also in on-going litigation over a franchise they purchased from Knotty Pine.  I don’t think the KP people are very brilliant business people since they only got $800 up front for the franchise fee then agreed to carry another $24,200 for 60 days until they opened.  In addition to defaulting on that note, it appears the franchisees were also derelict in paying their royalties, however, counterclaims sound as if the franchisors were ignorant about federal and Oklahoma laws regarding franchises and certain disclosures.  It’s also claimed that the franchisors did not supply promised training and other assistance.

Sounds like a huge friggin’ mess that happens when you get two parties together and neither knows what is going on.

If the food at the BA Knotty Pine is anything like the one in west Tulsa, it won’t be long for the world.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2014, 09:25:53 am »

I know there have been a few "are you serious" things that have come up here and there on various projects.  But they get fixed and we moved on.  Things like ceiling tiles will be a grumble to fix.  Also a loose backsplash could get food behind it.

You got a restaurant??

I am a little bit OCD (is a "little" possible??) about this kind of stuff.  When I see openings in ceiling tiles, I wonder what is up there that is falling down into the zone...at the very least, loose bits of fiberglas insulation...probably worse.  Dirty ceiling tiles a close second - that means the stuff I don't see is likely the same.  Or roof leaks that are keeping things in the attic just moist enough for a good ole fashion Stachybotrys chartarum ranch (that black mold that everyone is so excitable over nowadays).

Backsplash - what a perfect place to toss some scraps rather than walking 12 feet to the trash can.  Robert Irvine turns this stuff up all the time.  That's why for the most part, I DO NOT want to see the kitchen - let me keep my illusions!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2014, 09:30:08 am »

No, different owners.

Doing some research on the “face” of Shotgun Sam’s on OSCN reveals he’s still in litigation over the Knotty Pine in Broken Arrow.  $48,000 owed to a food vendor from Fort Smith for invoices dating from mid Dec. 2012 to the end of January in 2013.  I guess you could rack up that kind of food costs in a hurry, but I’d think a food service company would make a new stand-alone restaurant go COD to start or at least a much shorter leash on credit terms.

Appears they are also in on-going litigation over a franchise they purchased from Knotty Pine.  I don’t think the KP people are very brilliant business people since they only got $800 up front for the franchise fee then agreed to carry another $24,200 for 60 days until they opened.  In addition to defaulting on that note, it appears the franchisees were also derelict in paying their royalties, however, counterclaims sound as if the franchisors were ignorant about federal and Oklahoma laws regarding franchises and certain disclosures.  It’s also claimed that the franchisors did not supply promised training and other assistance.

Sounds like a huge friggin’ mess that happens when you get two parties together and neither knows what is going on.

If the food at the BA Knotty Pine is anything like the one in west Tulsa, it won’t be long for the world.

You just provided a massive amount of enlightenment by supplying the connection to Knotty Pine BA.  We ate there once, and while the baked beans were 'close' to what they should have been, everything else was a let down.  I specifically asked the waitress about the connection to the original KP people and was lied to - she said it was the same people.

Thank you very much!!  (Seriously - not at all facetious here!)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 29   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org