A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:59:23 am
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Michael Sam  (Read 39286 times)
rebound
City Father

« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2014, 06:17:55 am »

I thought he was a damned fine football player at Mizzou. I think he is legit, and I HAVE to think he has a chip on his shoulder and wants to get his due.

+1

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2014, 11:46:14 pm »

This guy is making some noise.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/24/michael-sam-johnny-manziel-sack_n_5703425.html?&ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000022

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2014, 04:48:58 pm »

Sam got released today by the Rams. Should be some teams interested in this guy. Dallas?

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2014, 07:48:51 am »

Sam got released today by the Rams. Should be some teams interested in this guy. Dallas?

If I'm not mistaken, Dallas doesn't really want good football players, do they??

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2014, 11:59:14 am »

If I'm not mistaken, Dallas doesn't really want good football players, do they??

That's right. I forgot.

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2014, 07:35:53 pm »

In preparation for fantasy football I have watched about a hundred hours of football shows this past two weeks and more than a few times the topic of Michael Sam came up.

He had a good camp but simply got outplayed by another rookie for the final roster spot. Sam turned out to be a one trick pony. He could only play one position, left defensive end, and really could only pass rush and try to sack the quarterback. He couldn't play the other defensive positions and was weak against the run. Analysts said he was very, very good at that one thing and will probably get a chance to play in the league at some point, but just not for the Rams week one.

The Rams have one of the top ranked defenses right now. I have them rated number three overall. I assume they will offer him a job on the practice squad after Monday. If not, I would wager some other team will need that specialty skill at some point during the season.

Power is nothing till you use it.
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2014, 08:36:43 am »

What my biggest complaint is. Having to listen to every aspect of a 7th round pick because of his sexual preference. He plays Football fairly good but not good enough. During the Televised game and he was playing. The announcers and cameras could not focus on anything other than what he was doing. In my opinion. He looks rather small. His only shot would be foot work and speed. At his size he's not backing people up on opposing offensive lines.

The gay community wants equality. Is this the kind of equality they are seeking? Constant exposure because a Football player walks around with a man on his arm. We have one screwed skewed media World we live in.  Embarrassed 

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2014, 08:53:06 am »

What my biggest complaint is. Having to listen to every aspect of a 7th round pick because of his sexual preference. He plays Football fairly good but not good enough. During the Televised game and he was playing. The announcers and cameras could not focus on anything other than what he was doing. In my opinion. He looks rather small. His only shot would be foot work and speed. At his size he's not backing people up on opposing offensive lines.

The gay community wants equality. Is this the kind of equality they are seeking? Constant exposure because a Football player walks around with a man on his arm. We have one screwed skewed media World we live in.  Embarrassed  

First time I have looked at this thread, didn't know who Michael Sam's was. And of course can't speak for the entire gay community, but as a gay person, NO this is not the kind of coverage I would want.  But the fact that he is getting this kind of coverage shows that this issue is still "controversial" or "salacious" or whatever and thus we haven't gotten equality.  Apparently we still can't be "just like everyone else" but are some sort of unusual spectacle, and that in itself is a hurtful reminder.  I just want to go about my business like everyone else and not be afraid to say or do something that others can without it being a "topic worthy" sideshow attraction, or thinking that someone who could have been a friend otherwise, will suddenly avoid you or scorn you.  Hopefully someday.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 08:58:16 am by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
davideinstein
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2014, 09:39:16 am »

In preparation for fantasy football I have watched about a hundred hours of football shows this past two weeks and more than a few times the topic of Michael Sam came up.

He had a good camp but simply got outplayed by another rookie for the final roster spot. Sam turned out to be a one trick pony. He could only play one position, left defensive end, and really could only pass rush and try to sack the quarterback. He couldn't play the other defensive positions and was weak against the run. Analysts said he was very, very good at that one thing and will probably get a chance to play in the league at some point, but just not for the Rams week one.

The Rams have one of the top ranked defenses right now. I have them rated number three overall. I assume they will offer him a job on the practice squad after Monday. If not, I would wager some other team will need that specialty skill at some point during the season.

Hit the nail on the head. Rams defense is one of the best in the league. Sam will get a spot somewhere. Him being gay doesn't matter and the media should drop it. He can earn a spot playing on the left end somewhere.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 02:28:49 pm by davideinstein » Logged
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2014, 11:03:35 am »

First time I have looked at this thread, didn't know who Michael Sam's was. And of course can't speak for the entire gay community, but as a gay person, NO this is not the kind of coverage I would want.  But the fact that he is getting this kind of coverage shows that this issue is still "controversial" or "salacious" or whatever and thus we haven't gotten equality.  Apparently we still can't be "just like everyone else" but are some sort of unusual spectacle, and that in itself is a hurtful reminder.  I just want to go about my business like everyone else and not be afraid to say or do something that others can without it being a "topic worthy" sideshow attraction, or thinking that someone who could have been a friend otherwise, will suddenly avoid you or scorn you.  Hopefully someday.

Kudos and thank you Artist. I appreciate you as a respectful poster here on the forum and I am sure you are a fine person all the way around. The media seem to always want to play both sides of the fence on every subject matter. But also revel in what they think people will find controversial whether the said party or subject thinks that it is. This guy even merits 3 pages (so far) here on our beloved Tulsa Now Forum.
I can't wait for the photo of him eating at "Chick fil a" comes out. Oh the horror.   

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2014, 10:25:36 pm »

Thank you for your perspective, Artist, it’s appreciated.  Funny part is, I never think of you or your partner as being some of our “gay friends” rather as just friends.  But MC and I tend to view the world through a different kaleidoscope. 

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2014, 11:59:12 pm »

Post of the Year candidate.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2014, 05:11:24 am »

The media seem to always want to play both sides of the fence on every subject matter. But also revel in what they think people will find controversial whether the said party or subject thinks that it is. This guy even merits 3 pages (so far) here on our beloved Tulsa Now Forum.

I can't wait for the photo of him eating at "Chick fil a" comes out. Oh the horror.  

The whole point of the media's actions (reporting news/information is generally second or third) is to create interest so they can sell their newspaper/magazine/tv show, so the use of the adjective is what it's all about.  In this case, "gay".  In Ferguson, it's "black, unarmed".  Emotions must be stirred to create interest and the flow of money.

Sometimes it's tough to 'boycott' everything that offends, 'cause just every once in a while I like to eat at Chick-Fil-A, too.  But it gets easier over time...has been a very long time since I went there.  And Hobby Lobby and Home Depot are making it easier to create a pattern of avoidance of obnoxious places with their carp.  I can find arts/crafts stuff and cheesy/tacky Chinese made clocks and huge vases elsewhere....

« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 05:12:57 am by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2014, 09:49:13 am »

It seems Michael Sam is going to sign with the Dallas Cowboys.

It also looks like his roster spot on the St. Louis Rams was taken by an extra running back, Trey Watts from the University of Tulsa. He is the son of former OU quarterback J.C. Watts.

Power is nothing till you use it.
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2014, 09:49:38 am »

And now he's a Cowboy. Well not exactly. Only if the practice squad counts.  Roll Eyes

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2741521/It-s-great-heading-home-NFL-s-openly-gay-player-Michael-Sam-set-join-Dallas-Cowboys-just-days-sensationally-dropped-St-Louis-Rams.html

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org