A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:01:38 am
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Michael Sam  (Read 39287 times)
guido911
T-Town Elder

« on: May 12, 2014, 04:49:47 pm »

Happy to see this guy get drafted. Very deserving. Here is a link to a story claiming his jersey is selling.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/tonymerevick/michael-sam-jersey-sales-surge-to-no-2-out-of-nfl-rookies

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 05:11:27 pm »

The guy was co defensive player of the year in the toughest football conference of all. He clearly could play at that level. Can he make the jump to playing on Sunday?

Here is his stat page from the NFL combine...

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/michael-sam?id=2543734

Mediocre speed and not very strong for his position.

Power is nothing till you use it.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 07:05:27 pm »

The guy was co defensive player of the year in the toughest football conference of all. He clearly could play at that level. Can he make the jump to playing on Sunday?

Here is his stat page from the NFL combine...

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/michael-sam?id=2543734

Mediocre speed and not very strong for his position.

I think he had a bad combine. Plus, I'd like to think Sam will be hungry.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 02:40:10 am »

Serious question. Is the Michael Sam (openly gay player) and Tim Tebow (openly Christian player) a legitimate comparison when it comes to "outrage"?

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 06:11:55 am »

Who was outraged about Tebow?

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 07:18:02 am »

Who was outraged about Tebow?

Nobody. Everyone was cool with this.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 07:34:46 am »

Nobody. Everyone was cool with this.

The anti-taking-a-knee agenda?
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2014, 08:31:40 am »

The anti-taking-a-knee agenda?

People were against Tebow's obnoxiousness.  It was directly attributed to how vocally Christian every interview was.  Somehow I don't think Michael Sams is going to mention being gay in all of his football interviews even though people might ask.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2014, 10:19:01 am »

People were against Tebow's obnoxiousness. 

Tebow's followers were also obnoxious. My family in Florida stills thinks he is the greatest athlete ever.

She has a t-shirt that says "Thank Tebow it's Friday".

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2014, 05:13:25 pm »

The thing about Tebow to me has nothing to do with his religion, it was the fact that he just never made the transition to the NFL from college. Tebow was very similar to Matt Leinart, greatest thing in college, just could not cut the mustard in the Pro's.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2014, 08:11:14 pm »

The thing about Tebow to me has nothing to do with his religion, it was the fact that he just never made the transition to the NFL from college. Tebow was very similar to Matt Leinart, greatest thing in college, just could not cut the mustard in the Pro's.

What’s the line on Mansiel being every bit the bust that Leinart and Tebow were?  I’ve got my doubts.  Either that or his ‘tude has him on everyone’s radar screen and his career is cut short by injury.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2014, 06:59:41 pm »

He's not very big, but he destroyed a very good OU team a couple years back. He scrambles and he is athletic and lucky. Luck is good in sports. Fortunately he has some time to adjust to the NFL speed and violence as a back up unlike some other first round draft picks in the past.

onward...through the fog
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2014, 08:11:34 pm »

So the thought is that Tebow is an obnoxious Christian, and Sam is just an openly gay player. 

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2014, 10:31:46 pm »

It is really hard to buy into your thoughts on this.

Tebow talked about his religion non-stop and turned some people off. That happens.

He has nothing to do with Michael Sam, but somehow you want to compare them. You want to somehow get even because some bad people picked on the mediocre football player who talked non-stop about his religion.

Explain how Michael Sam being gay has anything to do with Tim Tebow. Explain why we should care that you feel jealous that Michael Sam is getting a pass and your guy didn't. Finally, please explain how your faith has been damaged because someone made fun of a Christian somewhere on some other day.

Are you really that fragile?

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2014, 01:10:07 am »

So the thought is that Tebow is an obnoxious Christian, and Sam is just an openly gay player.  

For me, I don't care about Christian, Gay, skin color, ethnic background, or your preference of cats over dogs. It's just that often college players are hyped as the next greatest NFL player, and they are going to set the world on fire, but when they put the uniform on, and get on the field, it's just not there. Tebow is now retired and working as an analyst for ESPN, Leinart was better known for the company he kept partying in Scottsdale then anything he did as quarterback, and there is a whole laundry list of others that had the same thing happen.

I think the biggest thing that is going to be a problem, and the sports shows TV and radio, have been talking about is how is his being a rookie and doing a reality show at the same time for OWN is going to be a big distraction for his on field performance.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 01:23:52 am by dbacksfan 2.0 » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org