A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:12:15 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Costco  (Read 24167 times)
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2014, 10:53:17 am »

They can own one liquor store under current law. They wouldn't open one store in Tulsa and hold stores in Oklahoma City out until the state changes the laws would they?

We can dream of modern liquor laws. Can it happen?

That's the way I understand it. Tulsa would have Costco exclusivity.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2014, 11:02:08 am »

The TW had an article this morning about Costco.  If I remember correctly, Costco will have a 3rd party involved in the liquor store.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2014, 11:05:07 am »

Not enough parking.

Good.  Maybe it will keep the traffic down on Memorial.

DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2014, 11:05:26 am »

Welcome to Costco.  I love you.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2014, 11:10:58 am »

Good to see, Costco is pretty useless without the liquor store.  They have some great deals on wine in there.

I don't know if great deals on wine will be legal in Oklahoma.

I wonder how the liquor store will be separated.  Open at 11 and close at 9?  Nothing below room temp?
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2014, 12:22:30 pm »

Good to see, Costco is pretty useless without the liquor store.  They have some great deals on wine in there.

This was on a lot of "lists" that people wanted for the city, and I'm happy Tulsa will get the sales tax revenue.  What's next on the list?  Trader Joe's?  Cabela's?  Crate & Barrel?  Nordstrom?

There’s pretty good wine deals at Parkhill’s, Ranch Acres, Bodega, and a few other local liquor stores I can think of.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2014, 01:49:32 pm »

I don't know if great deals on wine will be legal in Oklahoma.

I wonder how the liquor store will be separated.  Open at 11 and close at 9?  Nothing below room temp?

You can run special pricing on liquor (wine) in Oklahoma, but they have to last an entire month and can’t be below cost, iirc.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2014, 02:50:57 pm »

There are no good deals on liquor in Oklahoma.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
saintnicster
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2014, 03:10:51 pm »

Looks like it'll be a full liquor store (normal hours) with a separate entrance, run by other folks.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/business/retail/costco-reveals-plans-for-new-tulsa-store/article_d9cb0045-0b63-516e-85c0-a7643f5a14b1.html

Tulsans wondering what to expect when the state’s first Costco opens next year at 103rd Street and Memorial Drive will see a higher quality of products than they would find at Sam’s Club and a greater selection of goods — including beef, baked goods and clothing — a company official said Monday.

"Costco and before it Price Club were the innovators in these club warehouses, and they are the ones who brought fresh food into it," said Steve McArthur, the company's real estate manager. "We are the ones who innovated to bring in new things, so we are constantly bringing in new things and you see Sam's following us."

McArthur joined Mayor Dewey Bartlett and City Councilor Phil Lakin on Monday across the street from the site of the new store to formally announce the company was coming to town.
The 148,000-square-foot store is to be constructed on 18 acres Costco is purchasing from the Warren Foundation. The company expects to spend $22 million to construct the store, McArthur said.

Costco stores average $170 million a year in business, but McArthur declined to say what kind of sales he expects the Tulsa store to generate.

He loves the location, though — hundreds of miles from the nearest Costco in Frisco, Texas —— and along one of Tulsa's busiest streets.

"You tell people, 'I am at Memorial and 103rd Street,' most people, I think, if they live uptown or not, they know where that is."

The store will employ 200 people and pay cashiers a starting salary of 11.50 an hour. The average wage for a Costco employee is $21 an hour, McArthur said.

Seattle-based Costco Wholesale Corp. is a membership-only store with 461 warehouses in 43 states.

McArthur said the state's liquor laws —— which prohibit the sale of wine and strong beer in supermarkets — had something to do with the company not opening a store here.

But its natural growth pattern had a lot to do with it, too.

"We are not doing the massive stores everywhere, all the time," McArthur said. "But we are growing in Texas, and Oklahoma is the next state up."

Visitors to the new store won't have to go far if they want to buy liquor, strong beer or wine. The company plans to build a separate structure, called a pod, next to the Costco that will contain a liquor store.

The liquor store will be operated by an independent third party, as required by law, and McArthur said the company is constructing it with the hope of someday being able to sell liquor and wine.

"At some point we know the rules are going to change," he said.

Liquor accounts for less than 10 percent of the company's sales, but its wines are especially popular with customers, McArthur said.

"Costco is the largest purveyor of fine wines in the world," he said. "People that have that wherewithal to know wines find it a bargain.

McArthur said Tulsans questioning whether to give the store a try should know they will get a better value than they would at any other store of its kind.

"If they don't like what they have bought, there is a 100 percent guarantee whenever they want to bring it back, no questions asked," he said. "The employees want to work there, and that is going to be reflected in the way they treat the customer because we pay them so well."
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2014, 03:29:29 pm »

Looks like it'll be a full liquor store (normal hours) with a separate entrance, run by other folks.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/business/retail/costco-reveals-plans-for-new-tulsa-store/article_d9cb0045-0b63-516e-85c0-a7643f5a14b1.html

Thanks
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2014, 03:49:29 pm »

It's really time to grow up and change these laws.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2014, 10:12:18 pm »

Can't.  Jesus
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2014, 05:11:04 am »

Keep in mind the people who sell alcohol in Oklahoma either like or, or have found how to work with it. It's an industry not too jazzed to change itself.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2014, 07:15:36 am »

Keep in mind the people who sell alcohol in Oklahoma either like or, or have found how to work with it. It's an industry not too jazzed to change itself.

Because the industry had such a big hand in making the laws - they are perfectly tailored to a group that wants to control every step of the process as a "monopoly".  (Sounds like the AMA, huh??)

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2014, 08:04:35 am »

It's not so much the endpoint sellers as it is the distributors.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org