A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:46:34 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Today is an Environmental Disaster for Libs  (Read 3264 times)
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« on: February 14, 2014, 09:03:54 am »

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/116595/valentines-day-environmental-travesty?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_content=3848164

Reason is no match for emotion, of course, so it’s no surprise that the dead-tree greeting-card industry continues to thrive. Sentimental pastimes die hard, and greeting cards aren’t Superfund sites. Still, the continued survival of the greeting-card tradition neatly underscores why it’s so difficult to affect far bigger environmental change. At the very least, it suggests people are being less than honest when they tell pollsters they’re interested in making environmental tweaks in their lives, even tweaks that are easy and cheap. It’s hard to believe large percentages of Americans will abide a stiff carbon tax when they’re not willing to stop using throw-away pieces of shiny cardboard to send their love notes.

Do the right thing today.  Stay home. Turn the lights off. Stay away from the phone and computer.  Give the earth a Valentines day.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 11:29:52 am »

I think the author of the article was trying to make a point tinged with folly and farce, summed up best by the last few lines….

"Literally as I started writing this paragraph, a message flashed onto my computer screen. It was from my 10-year-old daughter. Her request: That, on my way home from work, I stop at the store and buy her a box of Valentine’s cards to hand out to her classmates at school. I laughed. And then I did what any upstanding father would do when faced with a conflict between the good of the environment and the consumerist expectations of his daughter: I bought her the cards." 

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 12:38:10 am »

Not sure anyone has ever posted this, but it is funny.

http://sweetness-light.com/archive/13-worst-predictions-from-earth-day-april-22-1970#.U13yfPm-2m4

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 06:31:07 am »

Sad and funny lol.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 10:18:50 am »

The environmental movement is getting stronger every day. Don't listen to gaspar and newrepublic.

The rivers in America are cleaner than they have ever been in my lifetime. Ozone levels are down across America. Recycling tonnage is up in paper, plastic and metals. Americans will plant more trees this year than in any in the last 20.

Solar technology is becoming affordable. Residential water usage is decreasing because of newer technology. The new refrigerator uses half the energy of the ones built just eight years ago. New cars are more fuel efficient or are becoming powered by alternative means.

There will be a shift in our economic power soon to make the companies that are green more powerful the ones to work for and invest in.

Don't believe me. Be a dinosaur. A million of years from now you can be used for something more than making plastic bottles.

Power is nothing till you use it.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 01:13:32 pm »

CO2 continues to climb rather dramatically....

http://co2now.org/

Otherwise, it looks like very good news!!  Happy, Happy, Happy!!

http://www.epa.gov/airtrends/ozone.html

At least most the rivers don't burn now when you drop a match in them!!  That's a good thing!  And I am getting ready to go on a tree planting binge!!  I hope to soon have room for 50 to 60 new ones!!   Half or more will be dwarf fruit trees, but I am gonna plant some Burr oaks, and try to get hold of 4 American Chestnut seeds - Restoration Chestnut 1.0!!  I bet they will be good companions to the Burrs.

http://www.acf.org/

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 01:17:30 pm »

The environmental movement is getting stronger every day. Don't listen to gaspar and newrepublic.

The rivers in America are cleaner than they have ever been in my lifetime. Ozone levels are down across America. Recycling tonnage is up in paper, plastic and metals. Americans will plant more trees this year than in any in the last 20.

Solar technology is becoming affordable. Residential water usage is decreasing because of newer technology. The new refrigerator uses half the energy of the ones built just eight years ago. New cars are more fuel efficient or are becoming powered by alternative means.

There will be a shift in our economic power soon to make the companies that are green more powerful the ones to work for and invest in.

Don't believe me. Be a dinosaur. A million of years from now you can be used for something more than making plastic bottles.

China, India, Russia, et. al. please pick up the white courtesy phone.  But otherwise, I think reading an objective, unbiased opinion about the status of the environmental movement is a good thing... Tongue  Still, good to read about progress.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org