A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:46:50 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TIA Sept. 10 1967  (Read 10534 times)
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2014, 10:51:23 pm »

Cool.  I would go there in the 50's when Dad would go on trips.  You could walk down the hall, walk out a door, go 100ft and climb the stair to the plane.  One time I was holding the window frame when the plane started out - it turned around away from terminal, and the backwash blew the window shut on both my hands.  Ouch.  I was about 6 at that time.

Tulsa Air and Space Museum has the front facade in their building - I think it is just replica, but pretty cool.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2014, 07:55:26 am »

Was looking at the downtown image as well and could see a passenger train sitting at the Santa Fe Station down about 1st & Detroit. Remember getting on one there to go to KC in 1968. Also saw the smoke stack just west of the Union Depot was still standing, dad took me to see it imploded in '69 I think. It's also funny to see how many drive in thearters there were. 11thst Drive In had two screens, 11th & Mingo, Admiral Twin, Airview on Pine at N77th E Ave one screen, and the Apache on Apache between Yale and Harvard with one screen.  Six of them within just a few miles of each other.

The Capri was out near Sand Springs as well, wasn’t it?  There was another in Broken Arrow, I want to say it was on 71st or 81st between 129th & 145th.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2014, 09:43:08 am »

The Capri was out near Sand Springs as well, wasn’t it?  There was another in Broken Arrow, I want to say it was on 71st or 81st between 129th & 145th.

Yes, you are correct.  That was there as recently as the mid-eighties or even as late as the nineties, even if it was closed.

71st, between 129th and 145th.  I can remember driving out to see one of my girlfriends at the time and driving this route and passing this thing by all the time.

http://tulsatvmemories.com/51drive.html

You can actually still see where it was on the Googles... Smiley

https://goo.gl/maps/exdK0

« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 09:44:40 am by Hoss » Logged

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2014, 09:48:09 am »

The Capri was out near Sand Springs as well, wasn’t it?  There was another in Broken Arrow, I want to say it was on 71st or 81st between 129th & 145th.

We used to go to the Capri and the 71st street theaters...I had a '65 Buick Wildcat with a BIG trunk.  Could get 5 or 6 people in that if they were friends.....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2014, 10:13:17 am »

The Capri Drive-in was very cool. It closed in 1995 but the last years it was open it showed X-rated movies.

Or so I heard.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2014, 10:31:36 am »

Yes, you are correct.  That was there as recently as the mid-eighties or even as late as the nineties, even if it was closed.

71st, between 129th and 145th.  I can remember driving out to see one of my girlfriends at the time and driving this route and passing this thing by all the time.

http://tulsatvmemories.com/51drive.html

You can actually still see where it was on the Googles... Smiley

https://goo.gl/maps/exdK0

Curious how current teh Googlz view is.  I’d think that would have been developed by now.  So this begs the question: Was 71st St. the original highway 51 before the BA expressway was constructed, hence the “51 Drive In”?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2014, 10:51:33 am »

As you and others have pointed out about the Capri, and the one in BA on 71st, there was also the Riverview or Riverside across I-44 from the Pepsi plant and the Tee-Pee in Sapulpa. The on in BA was a nice one to go to, only went to Tee-Pee once and that was to see the third Mad Max movie when it came out. The Capri? Well, um, yeah it was there.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2014, 11:08:36 am »

As you and others have pointed out about the Capri, and the one in BA on 71st, there was also the Riverview or Riverside across I-44 from the Pepsi plant and the Tee-Pee in Sapulpa. The on in BA was a nice one to go to, only went to Tee-Pee once and that was to see the third Mad Max movie when it came out. The Capri? Well, um, yeah it was there.

Was the Riverview where Riverside Chevrolet and Turnpike Ford eventually ended up?

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2014, 11:17:34 am »

Was the Riverview where Riverside Chevrolet and Turnpike Ford eventually ended up?

Yep, that was the spot. I think it closed in mid to late 70's. Riverside was originally Bill White but IIRC they got bought buy Hudiburg out of Mid West City when Bill White was closing up the DT dealership. They left downtown followed by Jim Norton and then the last one to leave was Fred Jones.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2014, 11:20:07 am »

Yep, that was the spot. I think it closed in mid to late 70's. Riverside was originally Bill White but IIRC they got bought buy Hudiburg out of Mid West City when Bill White was closing up the DT dealership. They left downtown followed by Jim Norton and then the last one to leave was Fred Jones.

That’s what I thought.  There used to be an asphalt oval race track just to the east of Elwood between Elwood and the river.  The surface was still there in the early 1980’s and we would race around it at night.  I believe it was called Riverside Speedway when it was open but it apparently was a very short-lived venture.

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2014, 11:43:03 am »

That’s what I thought.  There used to be an asphalt oval race track just to the east of Elwood between Elwood and the river.  The surface was still there in the early 1980’s and we would race around it at night.  I believe it was called Riverside Speedway when it was open but it apparently was a very short-lived venture.

The drive in and the circle track are near the bottom center.

http://cdm15020.contentdm.oclc.org/utils/getfile/collection/p16063coll3/id/46/filename/47.pdf

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.0913927,-95.9963928,734m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2014, 02:41:55 pm »

And Highway 75 stopped at 51st St.

Interesting looking at where I work and the very first shop that was put up on the property with cast off boiler tubes for a frame and corrugated steel for a shell.  That building is still on the property, but quite a few more buildings have sprung up around it.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2014, 10:30:53 pm »

Cool.  I would go there in the 50's when Dad would go on trips. 

Ah, the good ol' days, eh heiron?

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2014, 08:37:12 am »

Ah, the good ol' days, eh heiron?

Exactly!!   Hey, what happened to the other name thing...I can't remember what it was...??

The pterodactyl always pushed so much wind on take off, it was tough to stand around near it!  (A lot like this place sometimes!!)

Race tracks - there is a very cool race track on northeast corner of 36th and Yale - goes in circle around that little city park there (Highland Park).  Always able to take out a mailbox or two on the north side of that loop!

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2014, 07:45:15 pm »

^^^ I forgot that name also. Edited to add:

Harrison Alexernder

Your name got Travolta-ized
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 11:29:54 pm by guido911 » Logged

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org